Sleeper Alert : CB - David Amerson (1 Viewer)

SaintBrad

Very Banned
Reaction score
David Amerison
Height : 6'1
Weight : 205 lbs
40 time : 4.44 sec
Vert jump : 35..5

OVERVIEW
The Jack Tatum Award given to the nation's best defensive back has been awarded to several players who became first round picks since its inception in 1991. But even star cornerbacks like Terrell Buckley, Charles Woodson, and Patrick Peterson and talented safeties such as Roy Williams, the late Sean Taylor, and Eric Berry didn't match Amerson's turnover production in 2011.

In 2011, Amerson recorded 13 interceptions, which tied for second-most in NCAA history (Al Worley from Washington set the record with 14 picks in 1968), earning him first-team All-ACC and Walter Camp All-American honors, along with the coveted Jack Tatum award, which is given to the nation's best defensive back. The team's Belk Bowl 31-24 win over Louisville was among the four contests in which he intercepted two passes; his 65-yard touchdown after one of those picks in the third quarter turned out to be the difference in the game. This explosion in turnovers came just one year after he started nine games as a true freshman, but had no interceptions and only one pass break-up. However, Amerson's junior season told a different story. Amerson still recorded five interceptions, and broke up 12 passes, but was beaten for long touchdowns on far too many occasions. His low point of the season was against the University of Miami, in which the Wolfpack lost 44-37. Amerson was beaten for four passing touchdowns, and a fifth touchdown occurred when a receiver ran into his zone.
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Possesses size, physicality and athleticism to be a starting NFL defensive back. Very confident, attacks aggressively down hill, both in jumping routes, and in defending the run. Receiver-like ball skills allow him to high-point passes on jump balls and make quarterbacks pay for trying to fit a ball between levels of zone coverage. Also adjusts well to low and wide throws despite his size. Flashes agility. Will pop receivers to dislodge the ball and running backs coming to his side of the field. Wrap-up tackler, closes quickly to the ball when attacking receivers in off-coverage and against east-west runs. Works through receiver blocks in the run game with strong hands and quickness.
WEAKNESSES Some teams will project him to safety unless he proves hip flexibility, agility, and speed in workouts. Backpedal will be tested by quicker receivers eating up his cushion at the next level. Takes time to transition forward from pedal, comes out of his breaks a bit slow. Can be deceived by double moves. Doesn't display run assignment integrity. Plays a lot of off-coverage and zone, needs experience in the man and press coverages in which he should excel given his physical ability.
NFL COMPARISON Sean Smith
BOTTOM LINE Amerson is one of the more interesting prospects in the draft. His play making and ball skills are reminiscent of Asante Samuel. However, unlike Samuel, Amerson isn't nearly as fluid out of his breaks or as technically sound in the fundamentals of the position. Amerisont is tall, physical, and some may project him to free safety because of his size, but it is likely that some team will take a chance on Amerson as a cornerback if he can prove that his foot quickness and fluidity are up to par.

Sounds like a perfect fit. Expected to excel in press coverage and man to man coverage. Needs coaching.

I like Amerson as a press CB. I think playing in a man system should make him more consistent than he was this past year in the off-coverage he played in most of the time. He reminds me a bit of Asomugha and Sean Smith thought maybe slightly less fluid. I think he is a guy who has the chance to be really productive in the right system.

Coach killer. Ask an NC State fan about him. Way too much of a risk reward player. Maybe Ryan or another aggressive coordinator can mold him into the player he should be. But he scares me.

Yeah he's a sure fire top 100 pick. Don't see him as a sleeper to be honest.

Watched him a lot last year, listened to everyone talk him up, and watched as he played himself down in the biggest games of the season...

th

I think he will go bottom of first to top of 2nd round, love to drop down and get him and cyprien

Not really a sleeper. Had a outstanding 2011 season and kinda hit a slump in 12. Still highly regarded tho but some see as a saftey. He'll go in the 2nd

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I really think we should trade down to get some xtra pics theres alot of good talent in the second and third round

Your stats on Amerson are not correct. He is 6-3 -- not 6-1. I would love to see us get one of these big, tall, physical corners. It's worked out pretty well for Seattle.

I'm an NC State student, and have watched Amerson every game and had a few classes with him. He's good s***. I believe he will make an immediate impact anywhere he goes. Not a sleeper though. ACC record holder for picks. Now Mike Glennon is a sleeper, he's got the makings of a great QB. Coach O'Brian molded him just like he did Russell Wilson and Matt Ryan. Our (NC State) receivers averaged about 5 drops a game last year so the tenn, vandy, and Clemson games show that.

David Amerson

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c6YB0NbOYng" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom