Sleeper Alert : CB - Melvin White (1 Viewer)

SaintBrad

Very Banned
Reaction score
Melvin White
Height : 6'3
Weight : 191 lbs
40 time : N/A

OVERVIEW
White’s cornerback partner, Dwight Bentley, was drafted by Detroit in the third round of the 2012 draft. While White might not Bentley’s sub 4.4 4 speed, his legitimate six-foot-plus build and physicality makes him an effective zone corner for the Ragin’ Cajuns – and an intriguing prospect for teams looking for length on the outside, or even at free safety.
The Texas high school receiver and quarterback (he switched to running the offense as a senior) redshirted in 2008 to meet NCAA academic eligibility requirements, then played 12 games in his freshman and sophomore seasons (totaling 31 tackles and two pass break-ups) while starting one game each year. He also returned a fumble 93 yards for a score against Ole Miss in 2010. White started all 13 games at cornerback in 2011, earning honorable mention All-Sun Belt honors by making 64 tackles, 8.5 for loss, intercepting two passes and breaking up seven others.
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS White has plus size and physicality for the position. His height and vertical make him a strong jump-ball defender. When playing off, he can close on receivers quickly after the catch and lay the wood or wrap them up with his excellent length. Willing to pop into the backfield (or crash down inside when uncovered) to stop the run or bubble screens. A move to free safety is possible due to his size and tackling ability.
WEAKNESSES Will be considered a corner/safety ‘tweener by some NFL teams because of lean build and lack of fluidity in his backpedal and overall movement. Might not have the flexibility and foot quickness to trail quicker receivers off the line and to stick on double-moves. His recovery speed is also lacking once his feet stop in coverage. Needs to show he can also use his hands to effectively press, as well as beat receiver blocks outside and stick in coverage against stronger competition.
NFL COMPARISON Richard Sherman
BOTTOM LINE White looks to join cornerback partner Dwight Bentley (picked in the third round by Detroit last April) in the NFL, though his tall, lean frame is much different than that of his teammate’s. He could project to safety, but teams relying on press or zone coverage might like his upside outside if he continues to improve as a second-year starter (8.5 tackles for loss, seven pass break-ups) in 2012.

Melvin White Draft Profile

Great size for press coverage, excellent hard hitting tackler that needs to work on keeping with receivers after the release. He could be an excellent 5th or so round prospect.

He could be a good prospect for us with the sucess of white who was suppose to be a Safety but was converted to a CB we could get alot out of him

I have watched a lot of White's games as I go to UL Lafayette. The guy is a great press corner. I hope the Saints give him a serious look. He was UL's shutdown corner.

think this guy was in my manning draft, awesome.

Melvin White CB (6-1 ¼, 203 pounds) – He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.59 and 4.62 seconds and recorded a 32-inch vertical jump and 10-foot-2 broad jump. He completed the short shuttle drill in 4.53 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.36 seconds. White also recorded 12 strength lifts. He worked out as a cornerback with a notation that his best position is probably safety.http://blogs.nfl.com/2013/03/30/melvin-white-better-suited-at-safety-than-cornerback/

I live in Lafayette. I have seen him play. He has raw talent. UL has put out some good defensive backfield people in the past. While not a starter, he would be good in dime and special teams, eventually working his way to nickel. IMHO

billted3.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom