Sling Blue/Youtube TV (1 Viewer)

CerealKiller

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Last year I cut the cord. Reception on my TV was good for some games, bad for others. Some games were only on ESPN/NFL and I didn't get it.

This year, I'm going to bite the bullet and get TV via an internet service.

Youtube TV is $50/month and has tons of channels. That's more than I want to spend, but I could split with a friend or family member, possibly. They allow for 6 installed devices with 3 concurrent streams.

Sling Blue is $30/month and appears to have FOX, NBC, and the NFL Network, among others. It has less channels than the YoutubeTV app.

My smart TV has an app for Sling and app for Youtube, but not YoutubeTV.

Does anyone have experience with either of these, or have a better alternative?

Mr. Blue Sky

Still P***ed at Yoko
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Got the notice as well. One of these days it might be cheaper to go back on the box than streaming.

i was looking hard at cord cutting and going with YTTV and a couple other services , but i got a great deal on ATT Uverse and cable , including HBO (i pay $104.69/month total, for both premium cable and internet).. Granted, it’s only a one year promotion, so at the end of the year we’ll see.. but i‘ve long contended that to truly ‘cut the cord’, and do it right- it can get as expensive, or almost as expensive as cable.

Rickboy

Nom Nom Nom Nom.. me hungry for a SuperBowl
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
YouTube TV just announced they are raising their subscription to $65 a month.

I'm done..

Torgo

I am Torgo
Reaction score
i was looking hard at cord cutting and going with YTTV and a couple other services , but i got a great deal on ATT Uverse and cable , including HBO (i pay $104.69/month total, for both premium cable and internet).. Granted, it’s only a one year promotion, so at the end of the year we’ll see.. but i‘ve long contended that to truly ‘cut the cord’, and do it right- it can get as expensive, or almost as expensive as cable.
Don't you have to sign a two year contract to get that first year promotional rate?

TheRealJRad

The Artist Formerly Known as AgentJRad
Staff member
Tech-Admin
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
but i‘ve long contended that to truly ‘cut the cord’, and do it right- it can get as expensive, or almost as expensive as cable.
Depends on what you use really. When I had cable I had Netflix anyway, so I don’t consider that. I just pay for Sling and I have what I want. I’d have to add the HD antenna, but that paid for itself pretty quick. Beyond that I’ll activate HBO if I want to watch a series, which hasn’t changed. Since we’ve gone work from home I went ahead and got Hulu, but that’s a negligible cost. Think I was paying 60-70 for cable in 2013(ish), and it’s just Sling and Hulu now.

Torgo

I am Torgo
Reaction score
I dont think i did, but I’m honestly not sure.. i had a similar promotional rate a few years back with Uverse, but then I moved after a year and i dont recall it being an issue.
I may be confusing it with what I've read about their new ATT TV service. I really didn't even think they offered Uverse TV anymore. I guess after years of working for them after they took over Bellsouth, I've been conditioned to have zero trust in ATT/SBC.

JOMFA

Displaced
Reaction score
I cut the cord last year and have already gone through PSVue, and now YouTubeTV. Looking at moving to HuluLive - any reviews of that service?

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score
Anyone know how things are going with HBOMax? I know that the rollout was considered meh at best. Got an email from DC Universe telling me I can add it to my DCU subscription for $5 a month for the rest of my subscription (I renew annually).

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
They raised the rate because they just added the TimeWarner/Viacom/CBS channels.
I don't even want any of those channels. When I got the email yesterday and saw what channels they were adding I was miffed that I have to pay $15 more a month for stuff I don't want. At least I have two more months before the price change and I'll make the decision then.

And I already have that CBS+ app or whatever it's called too which I really like.

Torgo

I am Torgo
Reaction score
Anyone know how things are going with HBOMax? I know that the rollout was considered meh at best. Got an email from DC Universe telling me I can add it to my DCU subscription for $5 a month for the rest of my subscription (I renew annually).
Biggest complaints I've seen:
1. No 4K content, which is pretty ridiculous to me considering it's 2020, and their stand-alone pricing.
2. Limited Smart TV availability and not on Roku or Firestick.
3. The UI.

1 and 2 are deal-breakers for me. However, the deal you mention sounds pretty good considering the sheer amount of content they offer.

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't even want any of those channels. When I got the email yesterday and saw what channels they were adding I was miffed that I have to pay $15 more a month for stuff I don't want. At least I have two more months before the price change and I'll make the decision then.

And I already have that CBS+ app or whatever it's called too which I really like.
The one I was interested in was Comedy Central. I also like that you get streams of local channels and the YTTV interface is far superior to Sling. I was actually planning to switch to YTTV when they got Comedy Central but I don't think I'm willing to pay $15 more per month for YTTV than I pay for Sling. Although I really do hate Sling's user interface.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Optimus Prime Pale Blue Dot Everything Else Board 2