Sling Blue/Youtube TV (2 Viewers)

CerealKiller

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I created this grid to keep up with the options, to the best of my knowledge, in August 2020
Youtube TVSling BlueSling OrangeBlue + OrangeHulu + Live
Cost$65/Month$30/Month$30/Month$45/Month$55/Month (
Simultaneous Streams33142
Free Trial7 days3 days (* see below)3 days (* see below)Yes (duration varies)
DVRUnlimited (but 9 Month lifespan)10 hours free/50 hours for $510 hours free/50 hours for $510 hours free/50 hours for $550 hours (with limited features)
User Profiles5????
Number of channels85+45+30+50+55+
Local stationsAllNBC and FoxNBC and FoxAll but PBS
NFL NetworkNoYesNoYesNo
SEC NetworkYesNoNoAdd onYes
Grouped Add-onsYesYesYes
Customizable channel lineupYes? probably no? probably no? probably no? probably no
Original contentYesNoNoNoYes
* Sling free trial only available during the Corona virus but doesn't require credit card info

This is my original post, preserved for posterity:
Last year I cut the cord. Reception on my TV was good for some games, bad for others. Some games were only on ESPN/NFL and I didn't get it.

This year, I'm going to bite the bullet and get TV via an internet service.

Youtube TV is $50/month and has tons of channels. That's more than I want to spend, but I could split with a friend or family member, possibly. They allow for 6 installed devices with 3 concurrent streams.

Sling Blue is $30/month and appears to have FOX, NBC, and the NFL Network, among others. It has less channels than the YoutubeTV app.

My smart TV has an app for Sling and app for Youtube, but not YoutubeTV.

Does anyone have experience with either of these, or have a better alternative?

Last edited:
We cut the cord and went with YouTubeTv.
I love it.
I think it's been about 6 months.
$50 is more than I wanted to pay as well, but my Directv bill was $165.
I tried a few different services before I cut the cord and we liked YouTube TV the best.

Last year I cut the cord. Reception on my TV was good for some games, bad for others. Some games were only on ESPN/NFL and I didn't get it.

Youtube TV is $50/month and has tons of channels. That's more than I want to spend, but I could split with a friend or family member, possibly. They allow for 6 installed devices with 3 concurrent streams.

Sling Blue is $30/month and appears to have FOX, NBC, and the NFL Network, among others. It has less channels than the YoutubeTV app.

I've been with YouTubeTV going on a year. Despite the price, I've enjoyed it for the most part. Worse thing right now is that there's no NFL Network and the current lineup is just showing the same thing over and over (not YTTV's fault).

I do get all local channels here though, with the exception of the CW.

It's been years since I've tried Sling.

I have Sling Orange and Blue which is about $50 per month. I went with Sling over YouTube TV because YouTube didn't have some of the channels I wanted. IIRC, YouTube doesn't have Comedy Central and a few others. (But that could have changed) I actually like the You Tube TV interface better, but I chose content over ease of use. Not that Sling is terrible. You Tube is just better.

I used to have PS Vue which I though was better than any of the other services in terms of channels, value, and ease of use, but Sony discontinued it recently.

If it wasn't for the lack of sports, I would probably go with Philo which is only $20 per month. It has a large numbers of channels. But, it keeps the price so low by not having any sports channels. Apparently ESPN, Fox Sports, NFL Network, etc. are most of the cost of streaming TV services.

When saying you're cord cutting, are we just talking tv or internet too? I have Cox and both internet and TV are serviced. If I just cut the TV part and went to YT for example, I really wouldn't be saving much.

When saying you're cord cutting, are we just talking tv or internet too? I have Cox and both internet and TV are serviced. If I just cut the TV part and went to YT for example, I really wouldn't be saving much.

Most people just mean cutting off cable TV. You still need internet to steam stuff. I guess people could move to stuff like AT&T, but cable internet is generally much faster. Whether it saves you money probably depends on how much you were paying the first place. A few years ago, I was paying $165 per month to Direct TV and $50 per month for internet. I managed to get Direct TV down to about $125 with another $50 for internet. But now I'm only paying $50 per month for TV and about $60 for internet. So, I'm still saving a good bit of money per month.

I'd really like to cut out live TV all together since I barely watch it, but it's really hard to watch sports without it.

Most people just mean cutting off cable TV. You still need internet to steam stuff. I guess people could move to stuff like AT&T, but cable internet is generally much faster. Whether it saves you money probably depends on how much you were paying the first place. A few years ago, I was paying $165 per month to Direct TV and $50 per month for internet. I managed to get Direct TV down to about $125 with another $50 for internet. But now I'm only paying $50 per month for TV and about $60 for internet. So, I'm still saving a good bit of money per month.

I'd really like to cut out live TV all together since I barely watch it, but it's really hard to watch sports without it.

I'll have to look again, but when I was with Verizon, my internet was half of the bill at least, like $60-70/month. I haven't looked at my Cox bill in a while, i think we finished a year recently and price goes up to normal after the first 12 months. Will see how is divided up.

FYI, sling won't show you local channels. You'll need to have antenna for that anyway. The ESPN etc won't be on there either. Been there and tried it. YouTube is the one you want for this. Won't get you NFLN, but I refuse to watch that anyway. The games will be on another channel you can watch iirc.

This.

FYI, sling won't show you local channels. You'll need to have antenna for that anyway. The ESPN etc won't be on there either. Been there and tried it. YouTube is the one you want for this. Won't get you NFLN, but I refuse to watch that anyway. The games will be on another channel you can watch iirc.

ESPN is on Sling Orange, but not on Sling Blue. NFL Network is on Sling Blue, but not on Sling Orange. But I think you only get one ESPN stream so sharing might not be an option. If you want both they are $45 per month. Each separately are $30 per month.

I have AT&T TV Now and I like it. Prices have gone up a couple different times. They dropped NFLN a while back.

we have sling orange and blue...the only issue i have with it is that when you watch stuff from the 'dvr' the audio and video are often out of sync...that may not be a Sling issue though

ESPN is on Sling Orange, but not on Sling Blue. NFL Network is on Sling Blue, but not on Sling Orange. But I think you only get one ESPN stream so sharing might not be an option. If you want both they are $45 per month. Each separately are $30 per month.
True, and you cannot dvr the sling feeds for espn. I was going to be delayed watching a MNF game so bought the dvr option on sling. However it only works with certain of the channels. NFLN I don't recall, but ESPN does not allow it.

I don't remember all the exact details, but sling for football was terrible. Basically it isn't worth even trying to get nfl games on it because they can't carry them. You'll need to have other means ultimately.

True, and you cannot dvr the sling feeds for espn. I was going to be delayed watching a MNF game so bought the dvr option on sling. However it only works with certain of the channels. NFLN I don't recall, but ESPN does not allow it.

I don't remember all the exact details, but sling for football was terrible. Basically it isn't worth even trying to get nfl games on it because they can't carry them. You'll need to have other means ultimately.

Yeah, this is part of the reason I've stuck with Cox. I just get nervous that I won't be able to watch Saints games or other live sports on the streaming options. I dvr events and shows I can't watch. I dont mind paying a little extra to not have to worry. It's more than I need, but to step down from the tiers I'm at currently would limit some of my options.

Fwiw, I had Verizon before, and I feel like I get a bit more bang for my buck with Vox than Verizon. I've had faster internet, more TV options and several built in apps for services I use like Prime and Netflix. Only downside is Cox still doesn't have a Disney+ app. I have to plug my Chromebook into the TV to use D+.

I keep SlingTV during the season and shut it off after the playoffs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom