Slow Starts (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
This has been discussed before. But they’re starting to become a problem for us offensively, especially in the playoffs.

However, you have to think we regress back to the mean at some point, right? It’s quite unusual for this kind of trend to continue, especially when I’m sure Payton emphasizes this.

Looking back at 2017, we came out sluggish against Carolina until we found our stroke in the second quarter. Against Minnesota, we played one of the worst halves of football in the current era and ultimately it cost us. If we play even above average football that first half, we win that game.

In 2018, we all know how we struggled against the Eagles. And then the offense once again squandered a chance at a huge early lead against the Rams. We don’t even have to talk about last year. Same thing happens again this year.

I think coming out fast and getting a lead on Brady and the Bucs is almost essential if we are going to beat them a third time. If we start slow again, there’s no way we can overcome it.

Does the slow start streak continue next week or does the offense come out firing like the 49ers game last year or like the second match against Tampa from earlier this year? Surely, at some point, we are due a fast start in the playoffs?

I think the slow start was due to Brees, Kamara, and Thomas only having played 62 snaps together. The rust is real, and while people want to dismiss it by saying “these guys are all All-Pros, they won’t have rust” being in sync on the practice field is much easier than being in sync during the game.

It seemed like we weren’t quite sure how to use everyone properly with such an abundance of weapons, and nothing was natural. As the game went along bits of rust broke off, and things became more natural until the 4th qtr. when the offense put the Bears away.

This shouldn’t happen next week, but if it does, let’s just hope that (with TRex back) our defense can put the clamps on the Bucs offense until the Saints offense shows up. Seriously, this defense has been Heaven sent.

Here’s something else to consider- why would Payton crack the playbook completely wide open in the beginning of the game? I’m sure we had some nasty trick plays that would be a guaranteed score, schemed for Chicago’s exact defense style and look.

you don’t have to pull a gun until you have to pull a gun man. We did great.

We know Brady and the Bucs are going to get all the officiating breaks next week.

The only way to minimise the impact of that is to start scoring early and keeping the foot on the pedal.

We don’t have the luxury of a slow start.

Here’s something else to consider- why would Payton crack the playbook completely wide open in the beginning of the game? I’m sure we had some nasty trick plays that would be a guaranteed score, schemed for Chicago’s exact defense style and look.

you don’t have to pull a gun until you have to pull a gun man. We did great.
Payton had that one trick play where he took Brees out of the game and let Taysom take a sack/fumble. That was fun.

Yesterday was different than the slow starts we've become accustomed to in the playoffs. We were moving the ball decent enough but stalled in Bears territory 3 times in the first half. Ended up pooch punting twice (once on 4th and 4 on their 38) and missing a FG. Payton was playing it uncharacteristically conservative, probably because he knew that unforced errors were the only way we were going to lose that game.

To be fair, if the o line blocks it up for a half second longer, it’s a touchdown. The receiver was wide open

That was 100% on Taysom. He held the ball for 3.94 seconds.

That was a one-read throw and Taysom knew where Harris was going. He could’ve thrown that almost a full second sooner and it would’ve been a TD.

I rewatched that play and Taysom took way too long. He had to take one step forward. And with his slow release, he couldn't get the ball out in time. He needs to be better than that.
He has to shorten his dropback. Even in shotgun the man still scurries back another 5-6 yards. That's not going to cut it if you're running timing routes where Brees takes half the time.

To be fair, if the o line blocks it up for a half second longer, it’s a touchdown. The receiver was wide open

He struggles reading defenses and that is what makes Drew so special. One member here was worried about Brees getting sacked yesterday due to not being mobile enough. However, Hill gets sacked way too often due to not going through the progressions fast enough!

The Bears played really good defense in the first half. I mean...there were a number of plays that were bang bang that they knocked a pass away on a really well defended pass, and they did a fantastic job of stuffing the run. Sometimes it is a simple as their guys being better than our guys...and that was much of the case in the first half (regarding their defense versus our offense). But fortunately we got a few breaks, they made a ton of errors, and we were able to string together some drives to open the early 2nd half. I think that the Bears defense was a bit winded by the end of the game because their offense was completely useless.

My theory:

Every good team plays us like it's their Super Bowl... They throw the "kitchen sink" at us early, which includes a ton of plays/formations/tricks/coverages/blitzes/etc. we have never seen on film and they have never used...

When that happens... it takes us a quarter or two in order to adjust.... and by the 2nd half (usually) we adjust and start to pull away.

That's just a theory though.

That was 100% on Taysom. He held the ball for 3.94 seconds.

That was a one-read throw and Taysom knew where Harris was going. He could’ve thrown that almost a full second sooner and it would’ve been a TD.
There are two routes on the play, both of which take time to open up, when your throwing a ball on a deep shot you take a deep drop, If you don’t believe me, go watch Brees deep throws in last. It’s standard procedure to take a 7-9 step drop when your throwing the ball 40 - 50 yards down the field.

Watch The reply on it, he cant throw it sooner, the play takes time to develop and his drop and loading up to throw is in absolute perfect sync where he should be to release the ball in the route.

the blocking failed 200% Payton would be the first to say it too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom