Small Wood project question (2 Viewers)

For a smaller cat, it should be just fine. May want to add some carpet and wrap some rope to scratch on but it should be good for a baby kitty like you have. Now for my fat butt cat, eh. Might need to reinforce it with some 3/4” Plate or something.

Attachments

• BA9CCF45-9DB7-4A5C-8FF3-026153D17D6A.jpeg
    BA9CCF45-9DB7-4A5C-8FF3-026153D17D6A.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 6
I was working on a project to make a sort of floating shelf cat ladder.

I've actually finished it, and I proof tested it. However, I am a bit concerned I may not have done enough for the shelves/steps to really secure them for my kitten (who is now a 7-8 lb almost cat). I just put in three evenly spaced #6 1-1/4in screws. My question is, should I have used something more like a 2-2.5in screw since it's a 1x6 being fastened side grain? I also have small 1in L bracket's I can put under each shelf.. either use one per shelf, or two. Or are those too darn small too?

I used a 20lb weight to proof test the concept, and it did fine.

This is the basic idea. They are all 1x6 boards (with small cedar ends).

1599614693717.png
Get you some small blocks of wood. Screw them to the underside of the shelf and the upright support for additional bracing. This way your cat will feel secure. You want a secure cat because insecure cats stand on your face at 4am.

I was working on a project to make a sort of floating shelf cat ladder.

I've actually finished it, and I proof tested it. However, I am a bit concerned I may not have done enough for the shelves/steps to really secure them for my kitten (who is now a 7-8 lb almost cat). I just put in three evenly spaced #6 1-1/4in screws. My question is, should I have used something more like a 2-2.5in screw since it's a 1x6 being fastened side grain? I also have small 1in L bracket's I can put under each shelf.. either use one per shelf, or two. Or are those too darn small too?

I used a 20lb weight to proof test the concept, and it did fine.

This is the basic idea. They are all 1x6 boards (with small cedar ends).

1599614693717.png

Cats are tough. I tried to help my neighbor's cat come down from a tree a long time ago. The cat was about a 20 feet up and couldn't come down. I tied a rope to a bucket and slung it to the branch where the cat was. The cat tried to get in the bucket, but the bucket swung, and sent the cat free falling, until it hit the grass. (Note to self for next time, use more string to prevent bucket from swinging.) The cat bounced back up and wasn't injured.

Your cat ladder looks about 6 feet high, so it could probably easily jump from the top shelf and be fine. I do a little woodworking, and it is fun, if you have the time (Not an expert.). With that said, I like using "L" brackets to secure two pieces of wood. This would make your shelves stronger.

1599926541848.png

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom