Small Wood project question (1 Viewer)

I forget my lumber dimensions. Is that like only half an inch of screw holding the shelves on? Better replace with longer screws.

Sorry, I was in a hurry earlier. What I meant to say was that the screws you’re using are too short. To adequately satisfy the load requirements of your persaycat, you need screws that will penetrate deeper. And while you’re at it, might as well use thicker screws too, you never know when you might have two or more persaycats up there at the same time.

I was working on a project to make a sort of floating shelf cat ladder.

I've actually finished it, and I proof tested it. However, I am a bit concerned I may not have done enough for the shelves/steps to really secure them for my kitten (who is now a 7-8 lb almost cat). I just put in three evenly spaced #6 1-1/4in screws. My question is, should I have used something more like a 2-2.5in screw since it's a 1x6 being fastened side grain? I also have small 1in L bracket's I can put under each shelf.. either use one per shelf, or two. Or are those too darn small too?

I used a 20lb weight to proof test the concept, and it did fine.

This is the basic idea. They are all 1x6 boards (with small cedar ends).

1599614693717.png

A 20# dead weight is different than an 8# live load, but it's a cat. Nothing is going to get hurt if it collapses, but if you were to want to make it hold 100# you should replace the vertical 1x with a 2x material and then recess your steps into a dado that's about 1/2 or 3/4" deep. Glued and screwed.

Leaving it like it is, you probably should use 2 brackets per shelf and longer screws. I'd probably go to 1 3/4" or 2" screw and make sure to use a wood screw with smooth shank so it pulls the two pieces together.

The one (actually two) things I'd add....

1) Glue...use a good wood glue.
2) Drill a clearance hole for the screws on the backer board, and pilot hole in the shelf boards.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom