Smart-phone based payments (e.g. Apple pay) (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I have to say, I wasn't an early adopter of Apple pay (or any phone-based payment system). It wasn't until a new version of the iOS prompted me to setup Apple pay with my primary, daily-use credit card that I ever even thought about it . . . and even then, I didn't use it for months until one day I was at Whole Foods and realized, after I was fully checked out at the register, I didn't have my wallet. Apple pay saved me the embarrassment of being the guy that has to go home for his wallet - but now I have come to really appreciate having a payment capability on my phone.

Now, I use it frequently - it's just easier, especially with the facial recognition, to just pull my phone out (if it isn't already out) of my pocket and hit the machine with it . . . done. My wife doesn't use hers and I can understand that if you still have to pull your phone out of a purse, it's not that much different than having to pull a credit card out. But for me, it's quite a bit easier than pulling my wallet out, taking the card out, putting it in the chip reader, waiting for it to clear while holding my wallet, putting the card back in the wallet, and then putting the wallet back in my pocket.

But more importantly, those times every now and then when you leave the house without your wallet - at least I do from time to time - I don't have to turn around and go back to get it. Grocery stores take Apple pay, CVS takes Apple pay, coffee shops and lots of fast food and sandwich places take Apple pay, even cabs these days take it (and of course Uber is app-based payment anyway). If you have your phone, you have the ability to buy just about whatever you need.

I would certainly not recommend setting it up with your bank account's debit card - that's too risky. But if you have a good credit card with fraud protection, set it up - use it a few times so you know how to do it and even if you don't adopt it as a primary way to pay for stuff, having that capability can save you if you find yourself without your wallet.

I’m not ready to set that up with my acct
But send me your acct info so I can see how well it works

Meh, you beat me to it. I've been meaning to do this as well. I mean we already do similar stuff through Starbucks app, Uber, paypal. I don't have an iPhone, but I'm sure something similar can be set up on Android.

Meh, you beat me to it. I've been meaning to do this as well. I mean we already do similar stuff through Starbucks app, Uber, paypal. I don't have an iPhone, but I'm sure something similar can be set up on Android.
He teed up a 1st world problems rant that would have been very easy to poke

I left it alone because he taught me that you can put a phone away in a pocket or the like - this will make some things much easier

A lot of the new credit cards have an RFID chip in them so you can just tap them at checkout instead of putting them in the machine. That's useful.

I don't particularly want Apple (or Google) to have a record of all my transactions.

I left it alone because he taught me that you can put a phone away in a pocket or the like - this will make some things much easier

Lol, I so wanted to do a first world problems quip, but figured I'd leave the low hanging fruit to someone else. :hihi:

A lot of the new credit cards have an RFID chip in them so you can just tap them at checkout instead of putting them in the machine. That's useful.

I don't particularly want Apple (or Google) to have a record of all my transactions.

I've thought about that, but I figure it's inevitable it's gonna happen anyway. Might as well get on with the unavoidable.

Well, I could always become a caveman and disconnect from society altogether, but that would be boring.

I would certainly not recommend setting it up with your bank account's debit card - that's too risky. But if you have a good credit card with fraud protection, set it up - use it a few times so you know how to do it and even if you don't adopt it as a primary way to pay for stuff, having that capability can save you if you find yourself without your wallet.

I actually had been waiting to use Apple Pay until my local bank got it. They just recently did, so I was able to set up my debit card with them.

It's no less secure than anything else we do with our debit cards.

I haven't actually used it anywhere yet though. I've been wanting to, but I haven't found myself buying anything recently at a location that would allow it. Waiting for the right time, I guess.

I use Samsung Pay and love it. So bought in that I am stuck having Samsung phones. The best part about Samsung pay is it truly works everywhere because of MST. Just slide phone over the card reader and done. The other advantage is Samsung sends out one time use numbers off of your credit card instead of actual numbers. I am sure apple does the same. Samsung pay allows me to save all of those membership numbers to Krogers, CVS, etc. I would always forget those cards. Samsung Pay has probably paid for itself in simply me getting all those Kroger points for Gas discounts.

I use Samsung Pay and love it. So bought in that I am stuck having Samsung phones. The best part about Samsung pay is it truly works everywhere because of MST. Just slide phone over the card reader and done. The other advantage is Samsung sends out one time use numbers off of your credit card instead of actual numbers. I am sure apple does the same. Samsung pay allows me to save all of those membership numbers to Krogers, CVS, etc. I would always forget those cards. Samsung Pay has probably paid for itself in simply me getting all those Kroger points for Gas discounts.

This is a good point, it would be better than having to put in the phone number every time I go to Safeway since I misplaced the actual card. Simple swipe of the phone would be nice.

I probably could do this already, I just haven't gotten around to figuring it out yet. My phone is an old Note 4 so I'm not sure if it would work. We'll see. If I actually hit on one of these job leads, upgrading my phone will be high on the priority list. Fingers crossed! :hihi:

It was hardly a rant or a problem. It was an endorsement of a fairly new modern convenience.

I actually had been waiting to use Apple Pay until my local bank got it. They just recently did, so I was able to set up my debit card with them.

It's no less secure than anything else we do with our debit cards.

I haven't actually used it anywhere yet though. I've been wanting to, but I haven't found myself buying anything recently at a location that would allow it. Waiting for the right time, I guess.

Yeah, I hear you. I just hate to connect my actual bank account to anything. If somebody gets money through my credit card, it's not actually my money. When they get to your bank account, even if you can get it back through the bank's fraud protection, it's your money at risk.

Yay!!! After reading this thread, I FINALLY used Apple Pay. The lady at the Apple store had set it up for me, I just never used it.

It is even faster & less bureaucratic than PayPal.

Drew Brees demonstrates this with his credit card in his new TV commercial.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom