smith and colston ? (1 Viewer)

Jackavelli

Sarang Upso
Reaction score
lots of people agree that colston and/or smith need a new contract this off-season, curious what you think each should get?

signing bonus, years, and dollar amount?

Smith is under contract for another year. Why pay an edge rusher if the scheme is going to have them sit and hold a gap? If they are not going to use him better to get after the QB, then why pay him.

Colston though is going to be an expensive one. He has done nothing but improve every game he plays. The only thing that might hold him back from being top 5 is the fact he is not a deep threat, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get a TO sized contract.

Colston gets a huge new contract, rightfully so.

Will Smith gets to play for another year under his current contract. If he plays well, the Saints can franchise him in 2009 and give him a new deal then.

I wouldn't be surprised if we Franchise Will and draft another DE ala WS/Darran Howard

The last year in Will Smith's contract is voidable, so there arises a need to resign him either this offseason or before the end of next season. I don't like signing Charles Grant to a 7 yr 63 mil 20 mil guartd but we had virtually no one to replace him with and were between a rock and a hard place. Hopefully Smith doesn't cost us much more. Grants production does not show up statistically like Smith, and may very well contribute to Smith's #'s; that said, I would pay Smith more than Grant except for the fact that we overpayed Grant. It will be interesting to see how that is resolved. I would give Colston something to the effect of 6 years, 36 million. Better to do it now than later. Before it is all said and done, Jamal Brown will need a contract too. Oline seem to be fetching 7 year 49 mill 20 guaranteed. Expect the same for Brown if they do it quickly before the next wave of inflation passes starting in March. Regardless, we have 30 million and are likely to free up a little more becuase I don't see a few players on the defensive side of the ball being there come preseason.

The FO needs to still be smart about who they bring in. So many of us want them to break the bank and come down with someone like Samuels, but Samuels doesn't play predominantly man coverage as we do. That may not be his strength. We also need a safety who knows what he is doing. I was watching Chris Collinsworth and he was talking about Brian Russell, saying if he went to the combine today, he probably wouldn't be drafted, however he is always next to the ball, making plays. We need people like him. Especially at safety. Half our problem at cornerback is our safeties continually playing out of position and not providing safety about-- which was something I "asked Mike" about in the preseason.

Colston is worth every penny. Will Smith I don't know, looks like another Grant situation.

I disagree and I know I'll probably get flamed for this but I really think that Grant is better than Smith. Grant can play both end postions and move to the inside if needed and he can be effective at all of those postions. Smith can only play at one postion on the line as an edge rusher.

I compare Grant vs Smith to Rickey Jackson vs Pat Swilling. Swilling would get more sacks because he was rushing from the blind side, but Rickey to me was the better of the two despite him getting less sacks.

I disagree and I know I'll probably get flamed for this but I really think that Grant is better than Smith. Grant can play both end postions and move to the inside if needed and he can be effective at all of those postions. Smith can only play at one postion on the line as an edge rusher.

I compare Grant vs Smith to Rickey Jackson vs Pat Swilling. Swilling would get more sacks because he was rushing from the blind side, but Rickey to me was the better of the two despite him getting less sacks.

I do believe Grant is very much underrated. Some of his contributions aren't quantified statistically, much like an offensive lineman. I think it is mistake to compare Grant and Smith. It is almost like apples to oranges. They play the same position, but have very different jobs and one benefits from the other. I do know the every time Grant was not on the field, the defense was horrible. That said, I think we overpaid for Grant; though I am not sure we had much of a choice. I think Will Smith is as good if not better than Grant, and would pay him more if we didn't already pay Grant so much.

I would keep all option on the table with Will Smith. If a team came with a good offer I would trade him and draft a LB who can play 4-3 and 3-4. It would be awesome to be able to switch to a 3-4 on passing downs with Grant moving down.

Colston could wait but if he's going to cost you money they might as well get him out of the way so they can have player and cap flexibility next year. On the other hand, Colston would be a RFA so its not likely he'll be going anywhere and it will probably cost the saints the same contract to sign him next year.

I do believe Grant is very much underrated. Some of his contributions aren't quantified statistically, much like an offensive lineman. I think it is mistake to compare Grant and Smith. It is almost like apples to oranges. They play the same position, but have very different jobs and one benefits from the other. I do know the every time Grant was not on the field, the defense was horrible. That said, I think we overpaid for Grant; though I am not sure we had much of a choice. I think Will Smith is as good if not better than Grant, and would pay him more if we didn't already pay Grant so much.

I agree!!! Grant is very underrated, I still think he and Will are great ends that will both benefit from a stud in the middle.

Grant is not in the same league as Smith. With some other Saints DL or LB to take double team attention away from Smith, he's a perennial all-pro. Many of us were frightened that Grant would take his money and get fat. And he did! Smith is not that sort of guy. He's a true leader. Opponents scheme against Smith, not Grant. At the end of next year, I want to be wrong about Grant and get ridiculed for this post. Geaux Saints!

We have a dominating set of defensive ends. Well, except for that dominating part. We have a set of defensive ends.
Sticks and stones and all that, but the sad truth is that every QB we faced had all day to find open receivers. Last I heard that was why the DE's of the league get paid premium dollars. Can anybody remember a game this year where you saw QB's get pressured like you see regularly from Strahan & Usi or Mathis and Freeney? We can make all kind of excuses and rationalizations of lack of interior push or poor CB & Safety play, but the bottom line is our rush from the defensive ends is below average at best.

Colston - redo his deal now...we need to keep him, he's earned it, and he'll cost even more to sign if we wait.

Smith - still has one year left before his voidable year...IMHO he did not earn a big payday with his play this season. Give him one more year to produce (or not) - then we can re-sign, franchise, or release him. He also needs to lose weight.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom