Smith and Vilma Restructure (Mega Server Overload Merge) (1 Viewer)

Didn't Vilma get his contract last year advanced as a bonus so he'd be getting paid during the suspension? I always saw that as the kindness of Benson's heart and unless I'm mistaken might explain a little of JV's willingness to play for a mil.

Great point. I think the loyalty angle explains both of them agreeing to massive cuts

Great point. I think the loyalty angle explains both of them agreeing to massive cuts

And, for what it's worth, in the market, JV makes 3-5mil this year and Smith the same.

Anyone who thinks they're backups or scrubs at this point is kidding themselves.

This is exactly why I waited to see the actual numbers before commenting. Kudos to Loomis, Smith, and Vilma. Man alot of y'all were ready to run Loomis out of town.

They just gave us spending money to go shopping... That is loyalty. I think they both have something left in the tank and it's clear they think we can get another ring this year. We stood by them last year and now they are returning the favor.

This is what so many people are missing. The Saints are a loyal organization, unlike say, the Pats. We a) kept two defensive leaders around b) minimized the cap hit while not losing two experienced vets and c) showed the Saints will have some loyalty to vet players.

These guys are still good enough to at least be rotational guys and the organization didn't treat them like scraps.

Loyalty is what sells the story but the real thing here is its a very smart move.

ON the market a backup LB probably costs more than what we got Vilma for, not to mention his incredible leadership abilities....
WE are paying him only 500K more than the minimum contract....

And to find a 3-4 end it will probably cost us 2-3 mill for a backup....and Smith might even start for us....

its not about how much we pay them its about how much we can replace them with and clearly the saints thought, probably correctly, that its more efficient to use their contributions instead of paying more for equivalent talent minus all the leadership...

Loyalty is what sells the story but the real thing here is its a very smart move.

ON the market a backup LB probably costs more than what we got Vilma for, not to mention his incredible leadership abilities....

And to find a 3-4 end it will probably cost us 2-3 mill for a backup....and Smith might even start for us....

its not about how much we pay them its about how much we can replace them with and clearly the saints thought, probably correctly, that its more efficient to use their contributions instead of paying more for equivalent talent minus all the leadership...

This is probably the best post about this development so far.

It's not about if Vilma and Smith aren't as good anymore. It's about them still giving you much more than their salaries would normally buy if they were spent on other players.

I agree about vilma but not about smith one bit. The chiefs just paid a 3 year 12 mln deal to DeVito, who is a helluva good PROVEN 3-4 end (and has played nose as well). I would have rather cut ties with smith and got devito at 1 million more (especially considering smith's salary next year is still of 14 mlns IIRC). That's just me tho

I agree about vilma but not about smith one bit. The chiefs just paid a 3 year 12 mln deal to DeVito, who is a helluva good PROVEN 3-4 end (and has played nose as well). I would have rather cut ties with smith and got devito at 1 million more (especially considering smith's salary next year is still of 14 mlns IIRC). That's just me tho

That's valid point, also Sapogga got a similar deal from the eagles and I would have either of them. But i think Smith has 2 things going for him besides "loyalty" and leadership
1) he's clearly declined but he's not richard seymour old, he's only 32 and never relied on his speed for pressure.
2) He offers positional versatility as 3-4, can slide to NT on passing downs and he might even be used standing up by Ryan who has that Amoeba defense where the big guys just stood up.....confused the poop out of the saints a few times....

Damm... when you put it this way... makes too much sense to hold on to these guys. I kinda figured we wouldn't release these guys so them renegotiating wasn't a shocker to me nor was I disappointed. I do however think this is their last year here.

That is the whole issue to me. These same guys have been on the team for years with mixed results, mostly bad. Why keep them?

Vilma/Smith perform well? Don't hold your breath.

I have no issue with them being re-signed but I honestly don't want either starting in this defense. Nothing personal against either.

What is this with the knock on Vilma? He's always been an excellent player when he wasn't hurt or dealing with the *** Goodell's BS. I can understand the negatives about Smith but not Vilma. I'm glad he's still here.

Anyone think about the fact that maybe Ryan wanted to keep them until he evaluated them, then cut one or both later?

Saints DE Will Smith took a $6 million pay cut to stay with the team.
His base salary was chopped from $9 million to $3 million. Smith essentially now has a two-year, $14.4 million contract, though in 2014 his salary skyrockets to $10.4 million. Smith will be 33 then, so 2013 will almost certainly be his last season in New Orleans. Smith's pass-rush ability has evaporated.
Source: ESPN.com Mar 13 - 3:07 AM
Player Outlook
Game Log
Career Stats
Draft Advice

Jonathan Vilma - LB - Saints
Saints LB Jonathan Vilma took a $3.7 million pay cut to stay in New Orleans.
He sliced his salary from $4.8 million all the way down to $1 million. Vilma did have his offseason workout bonus increased from $100,000 to $200,000, but this was a pretty large pay cut. Vilma's salary cap number has been reduced from $8.633 million to $3.833 million. Though a poor run defender at age 31, Vilma remains decent in pass coverage. He'll likely be a nickel 'backer in 2013.
Source: ESPN.com Mar 13 - 3:03 AM
Player Outlook
Game Log
Career Stats
Draft Advice
Reggie Bush - RB - Dolphins

Vilma I can understand because it was clear last season that even with bountygate and the court mess that he was still the unquestioned leader of the defense. Bringing him back if anything would be for someone to provide stability during a defensive coaching change and continuity until someone else steps up into the leadership role that Vilma is currently in.

Will Smith though... love the guy, great Saint... but it baffles me that they brought him back.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom