Smoking Brisket - need help (1 Viewer)

Brennan77

Dubious
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I decided on a whim while at the grocery store this afternoon to buy a brisket. I have the day off tomorrow and plan to smoke this sucker. It's a good looking hunk of beef and isn't too big. It's just over 4 pounds. I've got hardwood charcoal for the indirect heat and mesquite chunks for the smoke.

My question is for cooking time. Most of what I read is referencing large 12 pounds brisket. What should I expect my cook time to be?

cook on real low heat and smoke it for 12 hours if ya wanna real good and tender piece of meat

Cook at 225 till the inside temp is atleast 170. It will take 8-10 hours

Cook at 225 until its 185 internal.

i'm cooking one tomorrow maybe too, depends how early i wake up. it's an all day affair to smoke a 16 lb brisket

You must take pictures of the process and post here so that we share in the beauty.

The temp and times have been repeated, so I will just emphasize that you do not trim any fat off until after cooking and cook it with the fatty side up. Save the burnt edges of meat for beans. That's the best part about cooking your own brisket.

I gotta say, I used to go through this time and again and finally I watched a show called America's Test Kitchen and they laid it out for me.

2 hours smoked. 5 hours wrapped up in foil with low heat (225)
Its best to do the 2nd part in the oven unless you want to monitor a bbq pit.

I use hickory and just wrap some moist hickory chips in foil and place on top of the hot coals. Not sure I'd use Mesquite since it can permanently scent your pit.

Anyway, it comes out good every time now. I season it with a rub or I'll marinate it overnight in Sal N Judy's bbq marinade. That stuff is really good.

Good luck no matter how you do it. Just let us all know.

Thanks for the responses. No one has directly addressed the size of this brisket. I guess it's a partial but it's only 4 pounds, not 10 or more. Should I still be looking in the 10-12 hour range?

Go by the internal temperature.

The longer it takes to reach that temp (the more smoke
you can introduce) the better. Shoot for the 220-250f range
and check it often (every half hour or so). Get yourself a book
and some brews and plan on making a day of it. Try to remember
"Slow and low" is best, and that once its finished smoking and well
rested, to slice it as thin as possible against the grain.

You really should have rubbed it down and let it sit for 3 days. I think the best advice you can get though it is to make sure to monitor the internal temperature. I also tend to wrap mine in aluminum foil. I would get a squirt bottle and fill it with apple juice. Every hour or so give it a good spray and it will keep it from drying out. Once your temp reaches about 165 wrap it up in aluminum foil to finish the cooking. Get it to 185 and then let it rest for 30 minutes before slicing it up.

You really should have rubbed it down and let it sit for 3 days. I think the best advice you can get though it is to make sure to monitor the internal temperature. I also tend to wrap mine in aluminum foil. I would get a squirt bottle and fill it with apple juice. Every hour or so give it a good spray and it will keep it from drying out. Once your temp reaches about 165 wrap it up in aluminum foil to finish the cooking. Get it to 185 and then let it rest for 30 minutes before slicing it up.

I use the aj in a spray bottle for ribs, but for brisket I use beef broth in the foil to keep it moist. Smoke for about 4 hours, then wrap in foil and include plenty of broth.

I prefer the aj, goes well with my rub.

Brisket was considered a cheap piece of meat. Now it has become so popular to cook that the price has tripled in price. My friends and I use to cook Brisket all the time and the same piece of meat now costs around 30 bucks. We would scrape up money and have a feast.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom