Snake ID (1 Viewer)

Hey Beerman

Hall-of-Famer
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've been trapping rats in my yard lately and have seen a few king snakes around, but this one is new to me. Can anyone ID this?
(apologies for the sideways pic)

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 33
Thanks guys, as long as its not poisonous I'll let it live and hopefully it catches more rats for me. I'm guessing my chicken coop has drawn all the neighborhood wildlife to my yard.

The eye tip was right on, this guy's are solid black circles with a gold outside circle.

If you have chickens, its not uncommon to see these. They eat the eggs sometimes too. but theyre harmless.

Check the eye/pupil. Round=harmless Slit=venomous

this goes so contrary to my rule about looking them in the eyes (or up close)

If you have chickens, its not uncommon to see these. They eat the eggs sometimes too. but theyre harmless.

I got bit by a chicken snake as a kid when I reached into a nesting bin once without looking. Got sick for a couple of days. I didn't know rat snakes did that. Come to think of it, I don't know it wasn't a rat snake.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tNU9M_Al-fs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

this goes so contrary to my rule about looking them in the eyes (or up close)

I got bit by a chicken snake as a kid when I reached into a nesting bin once without looking. Got sick for a couple of days. I didn't know rat snakes did that. Come to think of it, I don't know it wasn't a rat snake.

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tNU9M_Al-fs" frameBorder=0 width=420 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
Maybe it was bacteria in its mouth that caused it? I know theyre not venomous. They dont kill humans by biting is what I meant by harmless

From what I understand, all reptiles carry salmonella, but in varying concentrations depending on the health of the animal. The more artificial the environment, the more likely to have a higher count. Just wash your hands (or wounds.)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom