SNF ratings for huge Cowboys/Rams game has to ring the alarm bells for the NFL (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But you'd agree that they are down significantly from previous years though right?
Again, you gotta put the ratings into perspective. Everything on TV is falling at a faster rate. The NFL’s and sports in general’s ratings have remained steady. And that doesn’t include people watching games on streaming which is becoming more common.

Again, you gotta put the ratings into perspective. Everything on TV is falling at a faster rate. The NFL’s and sports in general’s ratings have remained steady. And that doesn’t include people watching games on streaming which is becoming more common.
But that's not true! The NFL and NBA ratings are consistently lower from the same time last year. Granted the NBA is now in a different time slot competing with the NFL, but even before Covid they were still down by almost 20%. And now the NFL is down by a similar margin. If anything, the NFL should be crushing compared to last year, but they're down on an overall percentage.

I already agreed with you on that point. The NFL will consistently outdraw your average cable news show on whatever channel. But when your normal audience drops by a significant amount, in this case almost 20% (granted it's only one week), the owners of said business are going to start asking questions about why this is happening. And I don't think that, "it's lots of chord cutters" is going to be an acceptable response from Roger go to Hell.
The TV contracts are gonna increase with the next negotiations. A network executive was quoted as saying that they’re prepared to pay three billion more to keep the rights. It’s in that NYT article I posted earlier. That’s how valuable the NFL is.

But that's not true! The NFL and NBA ratings are consistently lower from the same time last year. Granted the NBA is now in a different time slot competing with the NFL, but even before Covid they were still down by almost 20%. And now the NFL is down by a similar margin. If anything, the NFL should be crushing compared to last year, but they're down on an overall percentage.
That 20% number was before they added the West Coast viewers. It’s more like 12%.
And again, these are still the HIGHEST numbers that TV has seen since the Super Bowl. That should show you how little this drop means. Every one of these games are the most watched programs since COVID.

The TV contracts are gonna increase with the next negotiations. A network executive was quoted as saying that they’re prepared to pay three billion more to keep the rights. It’s in that NYT article I posted earlier. That’s how valuable the NFL is.
If you're quoting from a NYT article well...I'll just leave that alone. The bottom line when it comes down to 99.999% of business is follow the money. If the NFL thinks that this will profit from the social justice stance that they've decided to take, so be it.

From what I've seen, ratings are down significantly. And just because the Saints-Bucs game had a higher than normal ratings draw...and that was the only game to do so for obvious reasons...I don't see the ratings increasing anytime soon.

I will be the first person to admit I'm wrong if it happens..

If you're quoting from a NYT article well...I'll just leave that alone. The bottom line when it comes down to 99.999% of business is follow the money. If the NFL thinks that this will profit from the social justice stance that they've decided to take, so be it.

From what I've seen, ratings are down significantly. And just because the Saints-Bucs game had a higher than normal ratings draw...and that was the only game to do so for obvious reasons...I don't see the ratings increasing anytime soon.

I will be the first person to admit I'm wrong if it happens..
But it’s still the number one program on TV. Nothing has replaced. Not another show. Not another sport. Not cable news. It’s still number one. No network is gonna get rid of the NFL. The prices will increase over time.

But it’s still the number one program on TV. Nothing has replaced. Not another show. Not another sport. Not cable news. It’s still number one. No network is gonna get rid of the NFL. The prices will increase over time.
You must not have studied the concept of supply and demand have you? I'll send you a link.

Just because something is #1 doesn't mean that it will always stay that way. If people stop tuning in, well, I'll just shoot you the link.

You must not have studied the concept of supply and demand have you? I'll send you a link.

Just because something is #1 doesn't mean that it will always stay that way. If people stop tuning in, well, I'll just shoot you the link.

The NFL still being number one shows there’s a demand for it. People still watch. The networks are gonna pay more for the League. They have a demand for it.

The NFL still being number one shows there’s a demand for it. People still watch. The networks are gonna pay more for the League. They have a demand for it.
You my friend are the modern day equivalent of the Roman empire. Things are going so smoothly, we'll be here forever, and bam! Before you know what hit you, it's gone.

You my friend are the modern day equivalent of the Roman empire. Things are going so smoothly, we'll be here forever, and bam! Before you know what hit you, it's gone.
You’re making this a lot more than what it is. TV ratings have plummeted for everything at a faster rate than the NFL. The NFL and sports is in general have remained reliable.

No they haven't

The 10 million on MNF still beats that 4 million on cable news.
That article doesn’t mention that the majority of cable news viewers are 50 plus, the demo that networks and advertisers don’t pay very much attention too.
The NFL is drawing big numbers in viewers in their teens, twenties, and thirties, the most sought after demo. It’s in that chart I posted that shows Monday’s ratings.

The 10 million on MNF still beats that 4 million on cable news.
That article doesn’t mention that the majority of cable news viewers are 50 plus, the demo that networks and advertisers don’t pay very much attention too.
The NFL is drawing big numbers in viewers in their teens, twenties, and thirties, the most sought after demo. It’s in that chart I posted that shows Monday’s ratings.
So you think that the demo on cable tv that you're highlighting (teens, twenties, and thirties) are the ones who are making up the majority of the people who are spending their money on the NFL or any other sports league? Congrats if they're winning that demographic but the people who are spending their money to support the leagues are 40+ and they're not happy being told that they're not "woke" enough.

So you think that the demo on cable tv that you're highlighting (teens, twenties, and thirties) are the ones who are making up the majority of the people who are spending their money on the NFL or any other sports league? Congrats if they're winning that demographic but the people who are spending their money to support the leagues are 40+ and they're no longer being told that they're not "woke" enough.
I’m saying that’s the most valuable demo. Every network has tailored to cater to that demo since the 50s.
What I’m also trying to say, a program that has 70% of its viewers in the 50 plus category isn’t that very successful in TV terms.

I’m saying that’s the most valuable demo. Every network has tailored to cater to that demo since the 50s.
I can't speak for you Saint Jack, but I don't know of anyone in that age range who can attend a Saints game, the prices in the Dome, the parking, beer/food, and any merchandise from the Black & Gold shop. If the people who really pay the bills of the NFL decide to stop contributing, i.e. the 40+ crowd, then the NFL is in for a definite downsizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom