SNF ratings for huge Cowboys/Rams game has to ring the alarm bells for the NFL (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
NFL will recover. This is just a very weird year.

We've got 2 (reasonably) major sports in the throngs of their playoffs; NBA and NHL (OK, one major sport and one that is trying but keeps getting in its own way), neither of which are generally playing this time of year. Gotta' give the NHL credit, but if they end up with Dallas and Tampa playing for the Stanley Cup in the "Edmonton bubble"...eek!
College football is just cranking up, for the most part.
NASCAR continues to roll in its circles (with the exception of the occasional road course)
MLB is in a condensed playoff push.
PGA is moving towards another major.
WNBA - sorry, no offense, I just don't follow, but I believe they're in their post-season.
Haven't checked in on bowling, bull-riding, darts, World's Strongest Man, esports or drone racing lately, but I'm guessing they're still going as well.

Oh yeah, there's still this whole pandemic thing; nasty storms continually bearing down on us; wildfires in the west; schools opening and subsequently shutting down, the Quorn shortage, etc. I have to think that potential viewers are just preoccupied with other matters - sports related or otherwise.

The NFL doesn't care if racists don't watch. They don't care if you do. Come and go as you please.

They'll decide when they've "done their part" and end the campaign when they want to. Maybe the players will get them to extend it. Maybe the NFL will pledge more money to the cause, instead. Either way, they are not looking to you for clues or guidance.

Of all the reasons a Saints fan has to boycott the NFL, you get all pouty and mad about this. Ignore their messages about anti-racism the same way you ignore racism itself. Problem solved.

All I see is a sad, white face. Oh the irony 😁. Or the coincidence. Whichever.
Since my last post was deleted, I'll use your language which seems to be acceptable to the mods since it's still on the board. All I see is a sad, black face. What a coincidence. Whatever.

The NFL stays away for Saturday games as long as there is college football on Saturday. Once the college season is over they have Saturday games. But, IIRC, that doesn't happen until the NFL playoffs.

The NFL can have games on Friday's and Saturday's any time they want. However those games cannot be broadcasted into any market that has a high school or college game being played on those days. That is a FCC regulation the NFL agreed to back when they got the anti-trust exemption in '67.

All I saw was this. It was funny to me.

Screenshot_20200916-215824_Gallery.jpg
Not sure why you're seeing that as the link in the original post is still up on youtube.

As stated in the video, to assume that people are racist because they no longer want to have politics force-fed down their throats is just asinine. The same way that if I go to a restaurant I don't want to hear the server lecture me about their views (either right or left) while I'm eating my meal. Once that happens, I'll find a new restaurant to go eat at. It's really that simple. Basketball, football, soccer, tennis, etc. It doesn't matter. I, nor do most of the people in this country, care in 2020 what an athlete or celebrity chooses to do with their free time after they leave their place of employment. But when you're receiving a paycheck from your employer, please leave your personal opinions to yourself!

The same way that if I go to a restaurant I don't want to hear the server lecture me about their views (either right or left) while I'm eating my meal. Once that happens, I'll find a new restaurant to go eat at.

Does that happen to you frequently?

Does that happen to you frequently?
Well because I live in the New Orleans area, close to 90% of the restaurants are small business owned. As you probably know, the restaurant business (as are most) have razor thin margins and can't afford to piss of even 2% of their customers because that would make a huge difference to their bottom line.

The NFL on the other hand has been making money hand over fist for the last 3 decades and can afford to take such a hit. It is a huge mistake that they are making IMO because they are greatly underestimating how much of their fan base just wants to watch the sport that they know and have loved before all of this "wokeness" took over.

To answer your question - no it never happens. Because if it did, that person would be looking for another job once the manager/owner found out about it.

Well because I live in the New Orleans area, close to 90% of the restaurants are small business owned. As you probably know, the restaurant business (as are most) have razor thin margins and can't afford to piss of even 2% of their customers because that would make a huge difference to their bottom line.

The NFL on the other hand has been making money hand over fist for the last 3 decades and can afford to take such a hit. It is a huge mistake that they are making IMO because they are greatly underestimating how much of their fan base just wants to watch the sport that they know and have loved before all of this "wokeness" took over.

To answer your question - no it never happens. Because if it did, that person would be looking for another job once the manager/owner found out about it.
Again, I would like to bring up the ratings from Monday Night as an example.
AEA80B39-36B0-476E-9CCB-231C875C0D9D.png
By far the NFL beat everything on cable. Even the game that started at midnight outdrew everything.
Keep in mind, with final numbers, the drop was only about 10-13%. Everything on TV has had a worse drop. It’s difficult for a network to get 6 million viewers for a show.

Again, I would like to bring up the ratings from Monday Night as an example.
AEA80B39-36B0-476E-9CCB-231C875C0D9D.png
By far the NFL beat everything on cable. Even the game that started at midnight outdrew everything.
Keep in mind, with final numbers, the drop was only about 10-13%. Everything on TV has had a worse drop. It’s difficult for a network to get 6 million viewers for a show.
Yes you are correct that the NFL will still outdraw anything else on cable. Not gonna argue that point. But using your own numbers, even on the low end, a 10% fewer viewership (coupled with people not buying NFL merchandise) would come out to $878,000,000 less being devvied out to clubhouses in 2020. How do you think the owners of the franchises would respond to that? "Good job Roger, keep it up losing us hundreds of millions?"

If you factor that it is actually 20%, that comes out to $1,756,000,000 in one year of lost revenue.

NFL isn't as popular with the younger generations, problems will loom in the future because more young people rather watch E.sports on twitch than the NFL. We're not there yet with that though.

I guarantee, that, if the NFL of the 90s was played today, you would have zero problem with the youth of today watching madden tournaments.

Yes you are correct that the NFL will still outdraw anything else on cable. Not gonna argue that point. But using your own numbers, even on the low end, a 10% fewer viewership (coupled with people not buying NFL merchandise) would come out to $878,000,000 less being devvied out to clubhouses in 2020. How do you think the owners of the franchises would respond to that? "Good job Roger, keep it up losing us hundreds of millions?"

If you factor that it is actually 20%, that comes out to $1,756,000,000 in one year of lost revenue.

The networks are already prepared to pay three billion dollars more for the TV rights.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/10/sports/football/nfl-tv-broadcast-ads.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom