Snippet from Scout Inc.'s Q and A (Saints related) (1 Viewer)

BlackNGoldblood

Cruisin' for a Bruisin'
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=19668

Chase (New Orleans): I hope the Saints do not pick "the best available person" and shy away from their needs, i.e. Robert Meachem. Any thoughts on how they approach their first round pick?

Steve Muench: (4:20 PM ET ) Their top two needs are corner and linebacker in my opinion. If Troy DC Leodis McKlevin slides to them, then he could very well be the pick. If not, OLB Kieth Rivers would be a great addition. Rivers is shooting up draft boards and has the talent to make an immediate impact.

Linebacker a top 2 need?
He must not be a Cromartie or Jenkins fan, they are worth the 10th just as much as McKelvin is.

I don't get it, what has Rivers done to shoot up draft boards that the other OLBs haven't, I think he's pretty overrated.
His stock should be plummeting, he's injured and will likely miss the USC pro day April 2

I hope Cromartie is there then at least we could have our pick of who we want. Cromartie has a ton of tools but McKelvin has a little more polish at this point. I guess it comes down to what our FO sees.

Last season Rivers was the third best linebacker for USC. It is difficult to understand why writers believe he will be an immediate starter in the NFL. He is a reach at 10.

That sound you just heard was his credibility flying out the window.

I actually agree with his opinion. I'm still not sold on our LB or corner position because both hinge on the health of Mike McKenzie, Dan Morgan and Vilma. If all three of those stay healthy, we are good there but I'd like to see us invest in a first round insurance policy.

I hope Cromartie is there then at least we could have our pick of who we want. Cromartie has a ton of tools but McKelvin has a little more polish at this point. I guess it comes down to what our FO sees.

Here's a Cromartie question answered, although there really isn't much info to gather here:

Ed (Green Bay): Steve, any chance Rodgers-Cromartie lasts to Green Bay at 30? Seems like he's moving way up - Kiper has him going at 7 to the Pats!

Steve Muench: (4:52 PM ET ) Here's a curveball for you Ed. I think that he could go 7, 30 or somewhere in between. While I ranke the corners, McKelvin, Talib, Rodgers-Cromartie and then Mike Jenkins, there isn't a whole lot to separate them. That means that it will come down to a team's personal preference and that's impossible to tell at this point.

I actually agree with his opinion. I'm still not sold on our LB or corner position because both hinge on the health of Mike McKenzie, Dan Morgan and Vilma. If all three of those stay healthy, we are good there but I'd like to see us invest in a first round insurance policy.
I think DT was the biggest priority before we traded for Vilma and signed Morgan. I would not argue that we're set at LB but if you watch the Eagles lowlights video posted last week, it's pretty clear that all our problems stem from a lack of pressure up the middle. We have had this same problem since the 2002 season. We tried to address it with Sullivan (good idea, bad execution) and we've tried to address it with Young & Thomas (somewhat better) but the problem remains. This defense is never going to be all it can be without a disruptive 3-tech in the middle.

I don't get it, what has Rivers done to shoot up draft boards that the other OLBs haven't, I think he's pretty overrated.
His stock should be plummeting, he's injured and will likely miss the USC pro day April 2

Because in a draft WEAK, I repeat WEAK at LB, the player that didn't participate at the combine looks better in comparison to the players that did. No one stood out as a game breaker. Although Rivers is hampered, he still looks good in camparison to the other LBs. This doesn't speak well of the class. Off game film, though Rivers was arguably only the 2nd or 3rd best LB on the team at USC, he is clearly the best LB in this draft which doesn't say much. He is the best LB in the draft head and shoulders over a weak class which makes him look even better although he isn't one of the top players in the draft. The analysts look at the perceived needs of each team and plug in players accordingly, nevermind the fact that the best LB this year isn't a top 15 caliber player.

That sound you just heard was his credibility flying out the window.

That's a pretty strong statement to make. I think our top needs are equal with WLB, CB and DT. I don't see his credibility "flying out the window." It's not like he said our two top needs were QB and WR. I personally think I would pick DT over LB and CB, but I don't think it's crazy to say LB and CB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom