SNL sells-out.... (1 Viewer)

cdogg

THE WOOD WAS BROUGHT
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Not that the show has been worth a crap in a LOOOOONG time, but.....

It might seem risky for a marketer to integrate its TV spots with a show known for its advertising parodies. But that's not stopping Anheuser-Busch from buying up all the commercial time on this weekend's Saturday Night Live to shill Budweiser. The October 17 show will air eight to nine minutes of commercial time, integrated with the programming -- all of it devoted to introducing the Bud Light Golden Wheat brand extension from Anheuser-Busch InBev (BUD), according to Advertising Age.

The ad buy marks the first time in 35 seasons of the show that a single marketer has bought all its national commercial time, according to NBC. It's a clever ploy designed to grab attention for Golden Wheat, which the brewing giant introduced on October 5.

The sponsorship will include segments called "Backstage with Bud Light Golden Wheat," which will include un-aired clips from the show's history, the General Electric (GE)-owned network says. And to highlight the program's commitment to the brand, the program will air scenes from SNL viewing parties hosted by the marketer in cities across the country, NBC says.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/10...e-puts-on-a-show-sponsored-only-by-budweiser/

That just really shows not only how bad the show has been, but also how bad the network has been. In a way, I am SO glad I got out when I did. As it is, they are selling off floors at 30 Rock just to recoup some losses as they also try to sell NBC too.

So SNL is now an infomercial, I guess it's only a matter of time until Vince hosts it for Shamwow. sad

The Office is the only thing worthwhile on NBC, and unfortunately it isn't close to the same show it once was.

It might seem risky for a marketer to integrate its TV spots with a show known for its advertising parodies. But that's not stopping Anheuser-Busch from buying up all the commercial time on this weekend's Saturday Night Live to shill Budweiser.

Considering they now have guys like you talking about their product in alternative media forums, I'd say this move was a brilliant success for them from a marketing standpoint. (I don't drink Busch products, so could clearly care less. However I do appreciate a smart business move when I see it.)

Now it's up to the product to be good enough to run with the spotlight now that it has it.

Well played.

How is SNL selling out? Anheiser-Busch bought all the ad time. Am I missing something?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom