Snow in all 50 states? (1 Viewer)

IntenseSaint

Powhatan Power
Reaction score
http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=11973034

OU Student Collecting Pictures of Snow in All 50 States

NORMAN, Oklahoma -- A University of Oklahoma student is taking an extra interest in this week's snow storms in the south and northeast and is working to document the events in a very unique way.
Patrick Marsh said it's likely by the end of the week snow will be on the ground in all 50 states.

From Ardmore all the way to Dallas and even in Louisiana, the south is snowed in. For many, it's a winter wonderland in places that rarely see such weather. But none of it comes close to the mess up north where two blizzards have blown through in a week.

Weather like this is why Marsh is studying to be a meteorologist. Even as the snow fell outside the National Weather Center in Norman, inside Marsh was tracking what could be a rare winter weather phenomenon.
Marsh, a student employee at the NOAA's National Severe Storms Laboratory in Norman, is currently trying to collect photos of snow on the ground in all 50 states.

"On Friday afternoon, I'm going to begin asking for photos of the snow," Marsh said. "Hopefully I'll get photos from all 50 states, and if I do, I'll put them into a Google Earth map and make a snow snapshot of America."
Marsh said Florida is the only state without snow on the ground at this point, but he said two to four inches of snow is forecasted on Friday in some parts of the state. There is currently even snow on some of the mountain tops in Hawaii.

the funny thing, the pacific northwest is feeling el Nino this year, we've had a very mild winter, only 2 weeks of freezing weather and only 4 inches of show that fell 2 months ago.

nothing since.

the funny thing, the pacific northwest is feeling el Nino this year, we've had a very mild winter, only 2 weeks of freezing weather and only 4 inches of show that fell 2 months ago.

nothing since.

Naturally. Just what everyone wanted for the Winter Olympics.

Hawaii has snow????????????????

The mountain tops in Hawaii are easily high enough to have snow.

Yes, it does snow in Hawaii. Mauna Kea means "white mountain" in Hawaiian because its peaks are often blanketed in snow during the winter months. It is possible to ski here, but due to the high altitude, extreme conditions, and short season, it isn't recommended for the casual skier.

http://www.gohawaii.com/big_island/...land/attractions/points_of_interest/mauna_kea

The Big Island is one of the most ecologically diverse areas in the world. You can experience several different climate zones all within hours of each other. You can go snow skiing on frozen tundra and an hour later be sunning on the beach. Everything from torrential monsoon to arid desert, lush tropical jungle to rolling grass plains, all just depending on where you're at on the island and what time of year it is. It's truly an incredible place that has so much more to offer than just hula and frozen drinks on the beach.

The Big Island is one of the most ecologically diverse areas in the world. You can experience several different climate zones all within hours of each other. You can go snow skiing on frozen tundra and an hour later be sunning on the beach. Everything from torrential monsoon to arid desert, lush tropical jungle to rolling grass plains, all just depending on where you're at on the island and what time of year it is. It's truly an incredible place that has so much more to offer than just hula and frozen drinks on the beach.

I had to go back and see WHEN I posted that. I knew it wasn't recent....lol!!!!

When I lived on Oahu, you would see people on the beach wearing jackets in 70 degree weather.....I laughed at them at first, then by the time 9 years rolled around, I was doing the same! I almost froze to death when I moved back to the mainland and spent the winter in MS.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom