So can we talk about the concussion protocol? (1 Viewer)

There is a need for concussion protocols, but tonight showed me that the refs don't view Cam like they do a regular qb, otherwise they would have thrown flags on some of those hits. Refs watching Cam take hits is like me watching the Swedish bikini team get ready for competition, we just get lost in the moment and forget what we are doing.

Maybe that stems from him calling out the ref during our game against them last year.

My theory is that he's one of the most run heavy QBs in the league. Since he moves and runs so often I think the refs give rushers a bit more leeway, especially when he's out of the pocket. Kaepernick didn't get a lot of calls either.

I bet if he worked himself into a pocket passer he'd start getting more of those calls.

My theory is that he's one of the most run heavy QBs in the league. Since he moves and runs so often I think the refs give rushers a bit more leeway, especially when he's out of the pocket. Kaepernick didn't get a lot of calls either.

I bet if he worked himself into a pocket passer he'd start getting more of those calls.

Watching some of those passes he was throwing, if he stays in the pocket more he will be useless to Carolina. I love it!:hihi:

Seriously though, how many balls did you see him throw that left you asking "he was expecting someone to catch that?"

I don't know, he is a qb that isn't treated like other qbs. I think its the bigger qbs in general though as I remember watching Steelers games where Big Ben was just left like a zebra to a pack of lions.

He thinks he is big enough to keep running around lowering his helmet taking on lbers. Let him keep it up, he ain't really superman and is very breakable. Surprised he's made it this long....

Yeah them boys was hitting each other hard all night. I hope our front seven looks as physical as either team last night

I think there is something to this, but I don't know how valid of an approach this is. It's almost encouraging opposing players to headshot him.

Then again, I think the idea behind it is that he has this profound physical advantage over guys, so there has to be some allowance for a way to combat it. The Panthers use him pretty recklessly as a battering ram, so that influences the way the refs view him, in the pocket or not. I also think his on-field demeanor has something to do with it. He got abused tonight, but its hard to penalize most of those hits that were borderline.

Unless he changes his game, he is going to continue to take nasty hits that are going to shorten his career. Despite my dislike for him, I get queasy seeing a guy get blasted in the head like that and felt bad for him postgame. He is clearly scrambled here:

Cam Newton Doesn't Remember The End Of The Football Game He Just Finished

He also doesn't wear a mouthpiece so I almost expect him to get up and spit teeth when he gets hit like that.

I don't blame the refs. The Panthers have designed runs for their QB (draws, bootlegs, sweeps, etc). And when running, Cam doesn't slide often. He initiates contact.

Cam can't have the referee protection of a traditional pocket passer, because he can break tackles and gain 25 yards on any play frequently. Can you imagine the refs calling "in the grasp" and eliminating a Newton run for a big gain? Panthers fans would be livid.

The simple solution to this is: if you don't want to get hit, get rid of the ball sooner.

Cam holds onto the ball to the last second, then throws it. You are going to take too many hits doing that.

Cam took 3 very hard, clear blows to the head tonight. One he collapsed on the sideline over (was supposedly his back, but in the replay the only thing that took a hard hit was his head). The 2nd he laid on the ground for several seconds after taking a helmet to helmet on the side. The 3rd he took another direct shot before getting out of bounds.

Not once did he get the concussion protocol.

The NFL has become so hypocritical with this rule. If you are a star, it seems like you can always escape having to do it.

I fully agree with you, and like the Panthers or not that hit he took to the head while he was going down was Dirty!

I kinda broke my heart because he was already in the grasp then Bam hit to the side of the head.

I really hope the NFL fines that dude, and to be fair I hope Cam is ok.

But let this be known, that when you make yourself a running QB they are going to hit you hard at all times in the game to bring you down.

I hope he is ok, other than that, great win by Denver and they got a bit of luck on their side.

Denver knew what they were doing. They were intentionally trying to get Cam off the field by using the concussion rule. However, since we all know the NFL is rigged and Jerry Richardson is one of Goodells lap dogs they will never have to worry about Cam having to get checked. So yes its a total double standard when it comes to some teams key players.

There is a need for concussion protocols, but tonight showed me that the refs don't view Cam like they do a regular qb, otherwise they would have thrown flags on some of those hits. Refs watching Cam take hits is like me watching the Swedish bikini team get ready for competition, we just get lost in the moment and forget what we are doing.

Maybe that stems from him calling out the ref during our game against them last year.

They did throw flags. Two personal fouls for QB hits.

But eventually, the refs aren't going to call it every time. And if a QB continues to run the read option and run around, exposing himself to those hits, he deserves what comes with that. You can't have your cake and eat it too in this league. Either become a pocket passer or deal with the hits.

No brain = no concussion

Next!

I too have an issue with some of Cam's silly and immature behavior but I have to respect his game. He's gotten better every season and is still improving. I once disliked Cam, even as recent as last season...but I admit, he's growing on me. He simply plays for the wrong team...

Cam took 3 very hard, clear blows to the head tonight. One he collapsed on the sideline over (was supposedly his back, but in the replay the only thing that took a hard hit was his head). The 2nd he laid on the ground for several seconds after taking a helmet to helmet on the side. The 3rd he took another direct shot before getting out of bounds.

Not once did he get the concussion protocol.

The NFL has become so hypocritical with this rule. If you are a star, it seems like you can always escape having to do it.

I thought the same thing last night. The same thing happened when Mauti cleaned his clock. I wonder if it is Rivera that is ignoring protocol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom