So, college is starting back up (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Previously I posted an advice compendium of sorts on here, but I can't be knackered to search for it right now. Here's the latest version, now in MS Word for your downloading/sharing pleasure.

[edit - had to post it to my Dropbox account] http://db.tt/XmZQn6d is the link to the file. Virus-scanned and passed.

Feel free to post your advice as well...

If you would make a simpler version of this thread, then I could possibly contribute. This takes way too much work. Downloading files? Scanning for viruses? I don't know about all of that. Plus, you used the words "compendium" and "knackered". I didn't know what those words mean and I had to go to dictionary.com to look them up. That made me feel like a fool. You can't make people feel bad about themselves and then ask them to help you. Maybe if you offered something like an online pizza coupon, you would get some helpful replies. That's free advice from me to you.

Great list. Although you never mentioned Greek life. Not sure of your opinion on the matter Dan, but my fraternity has changed my life so much in such a positive fashion.

Great list. Although you never mentioned Greek life. Not sure of your opinion on the matter Dan, but my fraternity has changed my life so much in such a positive fashion.

<s>I don't have to buy my friends</s> Greek life isn't for me. Respect to those who do it the right way and all, but the concept completely missed me and I'd feel out of place talking about it.

If you would make a simpler version of this thread, then I could possibly contribute. This takes way too much work. Downloading files? Scanning for viruses? I don't know about all of that. Plus, you used the words "compendium" and "knackered". I didn't know what those words mean and I had to go to dictionary.com to look them up. That made me feel like a fool. You can't make people feel bad about themselves and then ask them to help you. Maybe if you offered something like an online pizza coupon, you would get some helpful replies. That's free advice from me to you.

Not sure if serious

I just woke up, so I was too tired to read the whole thing...

But I will offer this advice from my own personal experience.

The friends you made in HS are more than likely not going to stay your friends forever. Try to make new friends in college. Get to know your professors and go to them when issues arise. Most importantly, don't throw any of these new connections away or take them for granted. You will seriously regret it later like I did.

I just started back school this past week... All the faces have changed since last year. Oh, and this chemistry class is going to kick my butt! I've got to figure out how to do these conversions without second guessing myself!

That's what I like about these college chicks. I keep getting older . . .

Buy a bottle of bleach and a scrub brush in case you have mold growing in your dorm room.

Edit: And buy some OTC allergy medicine while you're at it.

I loved watching the chicks on Saturday and Sunday mornings doing the "Walk of Shame" back to their dorms or sorority houses. I'd sit on the front porch with a cold beer and salute them as they walked by. :9:

Get to know your professors and go to them when issues arise.

I highlight this one because I didnt do it when I was in college and wish I had.

If for no other reason, you may very well need a recommendation of some kind coming out of school, either for a job, or grad school, or both, from one of your professors.

If you went to a big school and never sought out a professor, or never had a smaller seminar type class as an upperclassman, you may find yourself as a senior knocking on the door of the English prof who taught your freshman English Romantic Poetry seminar who gave you an A and reintroducing yourself, asking him for a recommendation.

This is not the best approach.

Saints games...?

went while I was at home for the holidays. Woulda gone to the Saints-Falcons game in Atlanta but my ticket backed out on me when they realized I was a Saints fan.

I mean, if you're a season ticket holder that's fine, but that's at most eight weeks in a 17-week semester.

I highlight this one because I didnt do it when I was in college and wish I had.

If for no other reason, you may very well need a recommendation of some kind coming out of school, either for a job, or grad school, or both, from one of your professors.

If you went to a big school and never sought out a professor, or never had a smaller seminar type class as an upperclassman, you may find yourself as a senior knocking on the door of the English prof who taught your freshman English Romantic Poetry seminar who gave you an A and reintroducing yourself, asking him for a recommendation.

This is not the best approach.

Yea...

I'd say getting to know your professors is the difference between having an expensive piece of paper in the end and having it actually mean something. Getting stuck with the former isn't good. This is especially true if you tried to go into a science major. In a science major, your actual degree is merely a formality, it's what you do in school and who you connect with is what makes that degree valuable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom