So, college is starting back up (1 Viewer)

<s>What a GDI response...</s> Got it.

Just personal opinion here, but: I was a Greek dude during college, and I loved it while it was happening, a lot of fun times and all that, met some lifelong friends and such. But two years after finishing school, it all means very little to me.
I don't know the actual Greek dynamics/atmosphere in Boulder, but where I was, in hindsight, there was a lot of lame power-trip stuff with guys fighting for "presidential" or "executive committee" votes, just guys thinking they were so important because they held some sort of big position in a frat. Then there would be dudes being weak and fighting over women, stealing girlfriends and such. And the thing is, out of my friends from high school as well as the people I hang out with now as an "adult", I was pretty much the only one to go Greek. But all these non-Greek friends of mine still have life-long college friends that are like family, etc. They have many of the same types of college stories/adventures as I, just without the frat-house setting. So in hindsight, I would not go Greek if given a redo. That is all.

<S>What a GDI response...</S> Got it.
I had to look up "GDI." That's kinda lame. I was never in a frat but have had friends who were. Most are mixed on the experience. And for some reason, those that have already graduated almost always have more negative things to say about it than those still in school.:idunno: The only real positive I've heard about post-graduation is possible networking. And hopefully life-long friends of course. But neither is a given.

And it did always seem like buying friends to me, but I was never a member so maybe I'm misunderstanding the process. Don't you pay a lot of money to be ordered around/humiliated/indoctrinated with other freshmen so you can then bond with said freshmen and attend frat parties?

I had to look up "GDI." That's kinda lame. I was never in a frat but have had friends who were. Most are mixed on the experience. And for some reason, those that have already graduated almost always have more negative things to say about it than those still in school.:idunno: The only real positive I've heard about post-graduation is possible networking.

And it did always seem like buying friends to me, but I was never a member so maybe I'm misunderstanding the process. Don't you pay a lot of money to be ordered around/humiliated/indoctrinated with other freshmen so you can then bond with said freshmen and attend frat parties?

It's not like the money you pay goes to older actives. It goes to house upkeep, food, beer, parties, etc. that you participate in and enjoy. I've never really understood the whole "buying friends" argument against Greeks.

I had to look up "GDI." That's kinda lame. I was never in a frat but have had friends who were. Most are mixed on the experience. And for some reason, those that have already graduated almost always have more negative things to say about it than those still in school.:idunno: The only real positive I've heard about post-graduation is possible networking.

Edit: I had a long write-up but my browser crashed. Oh well. My advice to all freshmen is to just try and think ahead and never procrastinate.

And yes, make sure your professors know your name and face and never be afraid to communicate with them after class.

Join a club. It'll give you something to do and if you weren't totally clear about your major, it might help you decide.

Get a job. I can't stress this one enough. When you graduate, your degree will basically mean ****. A college degree is about what a HS degree used to be, so get a job now and start getting experience. Your college or university shoulld have student positions.

Definitely do not come home every weekend. My cousin did this because he was lonely but all it did was make it worse. His HS friends were moving on so he was essentially more alone than ever.

Go to the pajama parties and movie nights, etc. It's a great way to meet people, even though they can seem pretty damn stupid.

Don't hesitate to report people that live around you who make too much noise. True story: The guys on the floor above me used to set up a little bowling alley in their room, and preferred to play around 2:00 am. When they did it the night before mid-terms, that was about all I could take.

Make friends with your R.A. This will make dorm life so much easier. I hated my R.A. and he actually failed my room a couple times during inspection. He was a ******, but I wish I hadn't told him so.

That's really all I can think of right now. Mostly, just use common-sense and you'll be okay. Oh, and don't use your freshman year as a throwaway year. If you really screw off, it WILL come back at you.

It's not like the money you pay goes to older actives. It goes to house upkeep, food, beer, parties, etc. that you participate in and enjoy. I've never really understood the whole "buying friends" argument against Greeks.
Well, that's the point, sort of. You're paying money to be included in a group, many of which you will become friends with. This group uses your money to pay for parties, etc. which you then get to enjoy. From an outsider's perspective, it does seem like you're "buying friends" because you are essentially paying money to be included in activitities and to be in an exclusive group with other freshman. And chances are, you will become friends with at least some of them. So essentially, money=friends.

But I see why a lot of people join. I almost wish I had.

Well, that's the point, sort of. You're paying money to be included in a group, many of which you will become friends with. This group uses your money to pay for parties, etc. which you then get to enjoy. From an outsider's perspective, it does seem like you're "buying friends" because you are essentially paying money to be included in activitities and to be in an exclusive group with other freshman. And chances are, you will become friends with at least some of them. So essentially, money=friends.

But I see why a lot of people join. I almost wish I had.

I hear ya, but at the same time, based on that reasoning, you can argue that someone who pays a cover at a bar is buying friends. I just don't associate the money with the purchase of friends for frats. You pay money because it costs money to do things. I don't think being in a golf club or tennis club is buying golf or tennis friends. There's just a big disconnection for me with the whole buying friends argument. Especially you have to be invited to join, not just pay money and join (like most clubs).

Nevertheless, I don't think there's any real answer to this debate. Some see it that way, some don't.

Just personal opinion here, but: I was a Greek dude during college, and I loved it while it was happening, a lot of fun times and all that, met some lifelong friends and such. But two years after finishing school, it all means very little to me.
I don't know the actual Greek dynamics/atmosphere in Boulder, but where I was, in hindsight, there was a lot of lame power-trip stuff with guys fighting for "presidential" or "executive committee" votes, just guys thinking they were so important because they held some sort of big position in a frat. Then there would be dudes being weak and fighting over women, stealing girlfriends and such. And the thing is, out of my friends from high school as well as the people I hang out with now as an "adult", I was pretty much the only one to go Greek. But all these non-Greek friends of mine still have life-long college friends that are like family, etc. They have many of the same types of college stories/adventures as I, just without the frat-house setting. So in hindsight, I would not go Greek if given a redo. That is all.

There are highs and lows. It also depends on the fraternity. I'm in a 40-man one so I pretty much know everyone in the fraternity, whereas in bigger fraternities you kinda grab onto a certain group of guys in particular and don't get to know everyone to a certain comfort level. I can't say that kind of stuff doesn't happen in mine but if it starts happening, everyone knows about it and calls them out. Thus, the big thing I do NOT like about Greek life is how pretty much everyone in the house knows your business all the time, etc. My first post made it sound like I love everything about fraternities, which is completely untrue. There are some serious scumbags in the Greek system. But so far, my in-house experience has been positive. We'll see how I feel after 2 more years.

Dang that's a lot of work Dan. I never did a fourth of that. I went to class, worked got to know lots of people, helped out others and did the best I could at all of them. On Sundays during football season I'd always have people bringing over whatever because I could make good food out of whatever people brought over. I always knew the best places to hike and mountain climb in the area so during the summers there was never a lack of people to go camping and such with.

My son just went to college this fall. I told him thet same thing. If you are a good person help others out and get involved you will have a great time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom