So Davenport is for real after all (1 Viewer)

Yes, but no one knows if it’s of the “he tweaked something so let’s not risk it in a blowout” injury or a “will require missing games” injury.
He is going to at least miss games. Not good news

Jeff Duncan just wrote that he is hearing the news may not be good regarding Davenport's injury, whatever that injury might be.

And regarding Davenport, I agree with Geldo. Under the NFL's salary-cap structure, you need high draft picks--especially those picked 14th in the draft--to be contributing quickly. It does not work if a high pick is not productive, for whatever reason, in his first three years in the league, and then plays well in year four or five as his rookie contract ends and he becomes eligible for free agency. And though it was not Davenport's fault that the Saints overpaid in their trade to move up to pick him, the high price we paid--two first-round picks--created high expectations for the player. Had we stayed at 27 and picked Davenport, the price would have been one first-round pick. With the trade, the price we paid for Davenport was two first-round picks because we expended our number one in 2018 and number one in 2019 to acquire him.

Just in time to demand a contract extension if he has a good year.
Yeah I was just thinking about how tricky those negotiations would be. Here you have a physical specimen who has been dominant at times when healthy but he's always nicked up. Do you back up the Brinks truck and hope for the best? I guess you have to right?

Anyway that's a long ways off and I don't have to worry about making that decision. I just hope he can stay on the field this season because if he does this defense is going to be a handful.

I don't think the question has ever been "Is Davenport for real?" I think the question surrounding Davenport has always been "Will he continue to improve and see increased production?"

No one is saying he is a bad player, and you cannot blame the player for the price paid for him.
But two first round picks gets you Khalil Mack….a guy who contributes immediately at an elite level.
There was always a concern that someone as raw as Davenport would take a little time to develop into an elite talent.
This was proved by the huge improvement in technique we saw from him in year 2 when he developed a number of impressive new moves.
Of course he has been hurt by injuries and there is almost no limit to his ceiling but it is a fact that you have a player for 5 years before he is free to move…and it is always a risk to invest a huge draft price in a player who even injury free is going to take 2 to 3 years to reach an elite level.
It’s an issue of free agency as much as it is about Davenport’s talent/durability.
This really isn’t controversial…every sane GM takes these factors into account.
First off that was not my point.
Secondly, you are repeating the same thing you did in the first post.
Davenport was playing elite until his injury in year one. The fact that he improved from year to year does not mean he needed development.
Again, his problem is injury not elite talent. As every time he is n there he causes problems.

----

Last edited:
I found myself thinking today for the first time Davenport was our best pass rush threat over Cam Jordan. Some of that is Jordan seemed to age a bit but still good. Some of it seems like Davenport's maturity was just that evident. Davenport reminds me of Demarcus Ware the way he rushes standing up.
I think Jordan gets double teamed a bit during the games.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom