So.... Gary Gibbs is still DC??!! (1 Viewer)

say what you want about the defense and the coordinator, but the majority of the problem with the saints,this year, was the inconsistent offense. our defense, which is only mediocre, played fine when the opposing offenses where not dictating the game (ie jacksonville). make no mistake, we need more talent on defense, but if our offense would have sustained drives and dictated the games, our defense would have been fine. just like in 2006. not too much change in talent. honestly, it i believe it was a little better in 2007. how can you rush the passer when you are bent over from exhaustion. they lived on the field.

We were top 10 in TOP. What your saying is a total myth thats been repeated to many times on this board. Several games that we lost this year we actually won the TOP.

say what you want about the defense and the coordinator, but the majority of the problem with the saints,this year, was the inconsistent offense. our defense, which is only mediocre, played fine when the opposing offenses where not dictating the game (ie jacksonville). make no mistake, we need more talent on defense, but if our offense would have sustained drives and dictated the games, our defense would have been fine. just like in 2006. not too much change in talent. honestly, it i believe it was a little better in 2007. how can you rush the passer when you are bent over from exhaustion. they lived on the field.

Um, nope. At least not in my opinion. :)

The Saints were ninth in the league in TOP. That means that by definition, the D could not have "lived on the field".

31:53 in '06.
31:09 in '07

That means that the D spent only 44 seconds more per game on the field in 2007 than they did in 2006.

OTOH, the Saints were LAST in the league on D in yards per play given up with an average of 5.8 yards per play - and that is with a significantly improved run defense.

The problem seems pretty obvious to me, and I don't think it is the offense. ;)

As always, JMO.

I agree with this. In 2006, we probably had less talent on the Field on the Defensive side of the ball (injury to Roman Harper and Hollis Thomas was suspended for 4 games), but the better play from the Offense put pressure on opponents' Offenses to be more predictable and pass more. Look at Brees, he threw 9 int's and 1 TD in the first four games. Plus neither Reggie or Deuce rushed for over 70 yards in any of those games. Even the 1985 Bears Defense would have had a hard time holding their own against opponents if their Offense was that ineffective.

Let's bring it up a level of abstraction from simply a debate about the Defense or Offense. I think 2007 was much like 2001 for the Saints....a big let down after a 10 - 6 season and Coach of the Year honors. At this point, there's no reason for me to believe Payton is a better Coach than Haslett going into his third season. I believe (based on the sweep of the Superbowl Champions that season) that had Brooks not been hurt in 2002 the Saints would have gone to the SB and beaten the Raiders (yes, even with Venturi as the DC). However, the true measure of a Coach is how he performs during adversity and after a hot start; Haslett failed down the stretch in his third season.

Let's see if Payton will fare any better during his third year at the helm--as I did with Haslett, I'm wishing him the best.

I think Gibbs should build with a plan & stick to it. We played all over the place this year, cover 2, versions of cover 2, man, a ton of two deep zone. He needs to build his scheme and stick with it, as well as bringing in players that fit the system. Jason David can be a solid cover two CB because he was in Indy. That last statement I just made should really make you guys re-think our saftey play.

Only three teams had fewer defensive snaps than the Saints.
The Saints are tied with Jacksonville for first downs allowed, but I agree- 10th place is room for improvement.
That's hardly "living on the field", though.

The fact is, the secondary is that bad.
1,000 yards were given up just in passes of 20 yards or more, and that's not even counting the "more".

When its announced that Gary is fired.

That will be the sign that next season will be great.

When its announced that Gary is fired.

That will be the sign that next season will be great.

I just can't see the reasoning for that, as bad as the secondary is, the rest of the defense isn't.
Seven rushing touchdowns, albeit that may be because the pass was the better option when facing the Saints secondary.
Fewest snaps in the league in 2006, and 4th fewest in 2007.
The 1000+ yards given up on the deep pass kind of negates that though.

I personally think the secondary wasn't getting the play in.
I'm all for getting a new secondary coach or two ...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom