So.... Gary Gibbs is still DC??!! (1 Viewer)

Buhbooh

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I mean, give me a break.. We have fielded possibly the worse defense in the NFL the last 2 years. If now isn't a good time to make a change, when is? Quarterbacks are coming off the street to throw for 300 yards against us consistently.

I know there is a lack of talent at certain positions, but the players are making the SAME mistakes over the last couple of years, and our talented players are underachieving.

Very disappointed by the team not making a change at DC.

Last edited:
2006 Saints Defense was ranked 11th in the nfl...

Let's be honest. The Saints did not have the 11th best defense in the NFL that year. They determine that stat (which is BS) by yardage given up. That can vary depending on how many possessions the other team has. No question that the D was better that year, but they were not great by any means.

istockphoto_1535790_i_agree.jpg

I mean, give me a break.. We have fielded possibly the worse defense in the NFL the last 2 years. If now isn't a good time to make a change, when is? Quarterbacks are coming off the street to throw for 300 yards against us consistently.

I know there is a lack of talent at certain positions, but the players are making the SAME mistakes over the last couple of years, and our talented players are underachieving.

If they get some decent talent in the offseason, but still stink next year, i.e. can't get pressure on the opposing QB, he should probably be gone.

Then it is time to can Gibbs because he is ultimately responsible. You have to pressure the QB in the NFL or you will get shredded.

We were very poor in that regard and I think that is the root of most of our troubles. We do need to get better at thesafety postions but when you pressure the QB, that covers up your problems in the back 4 to a large degree.

Last edited:
Greg Williams (Redskin DC) may become available very soon. It looks like he will not become the next HC and Snyder looks like he is ready to make a clean sweap. He is interviewing a new OC and a name has already been mentioned to possible replace Williams.

2006 Saints Defense was ranked 11th in the nfl...

I trust the overall analysis done by Football Outsiders. (they picked the Bucs in preseason to win the South).

They ranked the Saints D in 2006 at 19th. I think that is a more accurate ranking of their ability.

LINK

And so I think Gibbs needs to go. Even if Payton made the personnel decisions (e.g. David) someone has to own the bad performance.

Well, if we weren't planning on replacing Gibbs, replacing the D Line coach, and defensive backs coach is the next best thing I suppose.
We're doing that anyway.

You can't make lemonade without lemons.

Its stupid to think he should of had us performing as a top 15 defense with the lack of talent we have. I used to blame Gibbs until the Eagles game. He blitzed almost exclusively and we were brutalized. I then realized we just don't have the talent to succeed regardless of what we do.

An even better question is, are you actually surprised that we're not replacing Gibbs:dunno:?

You can't make lemonade without lemons.

Its stupid to think he should of had us performing as a top 15 defense with the lack of talent we have. I used to blame Gibbs until the Eagles game. He blitzed almost exclusively and we were brutalized. I then realized we just don't have the talent to succeed regardless of what we do.
:plus-un2:
The coach is the easiest person to blame, but I doubt many defensive coordinators could suceed with our defensive players. When your whole D line, 2 of your starting linebackers, and one of your starting CBs have what were probably the worst years of their career, it's not all Gibbs' fault. Even if we did get Mike Singletary calling the plays it wouldn't really matter if Mark Simoneau is afraid to get to the ball carrier, and Josh Bullocks hasn't the vagueist idea what he should be doing, and kind of floats about until the play is dead or the other team score.

All I know is that every FA defensive player we brought in (who were decent players at least with their former team) all of a sudden turned into dog poop. Will Smith and Charles Grant suddenly can't sack a QB. JUST MAYBE it's the scheme. It also doesn't help that we only have 2 coaches ON THE ENTIRE STAFF that have played in the NFL (and Gibbs is one of them).

All I know is that every FA defensive player we brought in (who were decent players at least with their former team) all of a sudden turned into dog poop. Will Smith and Charles Grant suddenly can't sack a QB. JUST MAYBE it's the scheme. It also doesn't help that we only have 2 coaches ON THE ENTIRE STAFF that have played in the NFL (and Gibbs is one of them).

The only "decent" player we brought in was Jason David and it is widely regarded that he was a scheme player. KK was never good and was cut from the Bengals I believe. Simmons was at the end of his road and cut also or simply let go. Neither should of been counted on to be anything but backups. We were counting on Anthony Simmons to man the middle, but we know all the drama that happened with that.

Grant was hobbled most of the year and Smith had gained a large amount of weight.

You can blame the scheme all you want, but we tried several different ones this year. Early in the year we played alot of cover 2. Got burned. In the middle of the year we played alot of man 2 deep zone. Got burned. At the end of the year we blitzed on almost every down. Got burned. What else can we do? Go to the 3-4? Theres a point where you just don't have the talent. Gibbs was obviously searching for an identity this year and nothing he tryed worked. I'm not saying he is absolved of blame, but we need better players alot more then we need a better coach.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom