So.... Gary Gibbs is still DC??!! (1 Viewer)

Let's not forget how happy we were to get any coach after 2005. I'm not saying they get a free pass forever but I think they should at least get 3-4yrs. With the condition N.O. was in and all the talk of the Saints leaving the city I think we owe them a little patience for coming and giving it a shot. Just my :tpenny:

The only "decent" player we brought in was Jason David...

I stopped reading after this and my mouth dropped in disbelief {mod edit - please seek a higher level and discuss the post, not the poster - kd}

Let's not forget how happy we were to get any coach after 2005. I'm not saying they get a free pass forever but I think they should at least get 3-4yrs. With the condition N.O. was in and all the talk of the Saints leaving the city I think we owe them a little patience for coming and giving it a shot. Just my :tpenny:

Only post i agree with here.. But now that we are out of that Hoopla and we are now a city that the media just eats up we should now up our game and bring in a winning product and the only way to do that is to bring in the tools to do that.
Gibbs should be released early if Defense isn't improved by mid-season at least.

I stopped reading after this and my mouth dropped in disbelief {mod edit}

Maybe you shouldn't of stopped reading then and you would of fully understood what I was saying. In no way was I saying Jason David is a decent player right now.

We have upgraded the offense the last couple of years. How about letting Gibbs get some first round talent to work with before we pass judgment on him.

I really hope we get some serious D# upgrade this year, through the draft AND FA

Any defensive coordinator who agreed to take the field with the talent we had this year should be fired. Any defensive coordinator who then coached the most vanilla defense in the NFL, mixing blitz's up in the form of 3-4 games of no blitzing, 3-4 games of tons of blitzing, instead of constant changes to catch teams off guard, should be kicked on the way out the door. A better coordinator could have gotten more out of our defense just by giving the backups more of a shot, giving the starters more to compete for, and adding in a little variation so at least opposing offenses didn't see the same style all game for several games in a row. Gibbs needs to go. He was not much as a college coordinator. He was a joke at the pro level. Maybe he could be an ok DC in the bottom half of the Big 10 or ACC. Lets speed his journey to where he belongs.

Any defensive coordinator who agreed to take the field with the talent we had this year should be fired. Any defensive coordinator who then coached the most vanilla defense in the NFL, mixing blitz's up in the form of 3-4 games of no blitzing, 3-4 games of tons of blitzing, instead of constant changes to catch teams off guard, should be kicked on the way out the door. A better coordinator could have gotten more out of our defense just by giving the backups more of a shot, giving the starters more to compete for, and adding in a little variation so at least opposing offenses didn't see the same style all game for several games in a row. Gibbs needs to go. He was not much as a college coordinator. He was a joke at the pro level. Maybe he could be an ok DC in the bottom half of the Big 10 or ACC. Lets speed his journey to where he belongs.

:plus-un2: Gibbs has never proven to be a winner at any level..

I stopped reading after this and my mouth dropped {mod edit}

So you're one of the only people that actually knew that Jason David would be this bad? Reading all of the comments on this board 8 months ago most everyone thought he was going to be an upgrade. Of course it's real easy now to see that he stinks.

You can't always blame the cook.

Anyone of us could probably hold his own against Emeril if we got to use Filet mignon, fresh salmon steaks, fresh produce and imported French cheese, while he was forced to cook with Alpo, store brand canned vegetables, bagged salad and American slices.

First off let me say, the defense this year was puke. But last season Gibbs was being praised for getting the most out of very little, turning castoffs Simoneau, Shanle and Fujita into legit linebackers and putting together a defense decent enough to get us to the NFC championship game.
This season, the lack of talent caught up with him. In my opinion, the lack of a difference maker at DT and LB allowed offenses to set their protections to offset Grant and Smith. Get a stud DT and LB in here and I think we will see a different defense. As much as I cussed the defense this year, I'm willing to give Gibbs another year.

I stopped reading after this and my mouth dropped in disbelief {mod edit}

:dunno:
Maybe you should have read the rest of it, as he is dead on.
Like it or not, David was the only starter signed last year.
That has ZERO to do with his performance.

A football team is just that - a team. It is comprised of players and coaches, plural.

When a D plays as poorly as a whole like ours did last year, you can bet that it is not due to a single factor. It is not the DC. Nor is it the CB. Nor is it talent evaluation. Instead it is a combination of factors. Including circumstance (ex. JD was the only CB that we could get to sign here, for whatever reason).

To say, "Lets get rid of the DC!" might be a serious oversimplification and may not be at all what this team needs. We know that the DL coach is no longer with us, nor is the DB coach. Changes are being made.

I suspect that Payton has evaluated the situation and decided that certain things need to be improved. IMHO, he knows more about what is going on than anyone here. He sees the deficiencies daily and has a good idea about what it will take to improve the team.

Geez. The Super Bowl hasn't even been played yet. FA isn't open. No one has been drafted yet.

How can we possibly be disappointed in ANY actions or non-actions this off season when we are only 24 days into January? Personally, I'll allow the off season to play out, see what happens during the regular season and only then judge the results of this off season.

Obviously, at least to me, the results of last off season were unsatisfactory. From statements made by Payton, that seems to be the case with him as well. I'm more than willing to give him a chance to make the changes that HE feels necessary (as opposed to those I might think necessary) and see what comes out of it. After all, he gets paid millions to make those decisions. My opinion is free of charge and worth just about that much. ;)

JMO.

First priority was stop the run, which we did and I agree with. With the lack of talent on our defense, I'm surprised we successful at doing that. But we are so thin at talent, we sacrificed pass rush (which we have the talent to do) and pass coverage (which we don't have the talent for). Bottom line is we lack the personnel to have any kind of balance.

I agree with Black Adder. If we acquire some decent talent this offseason and Gibbs still struggles. Then we address a change. Right now, we just don't know what we have in the way of a d-coordinator.

I mean, give me a break.. We have fielded possibly the worse defense in the NFL the last 2 years. If now isn't a good time to make a change, when is? Quarterbacks are coming off the street to throw for 300 yards against us consistently.

I know there is a lack of talent at certain positions, but the players are making the SAME mistakes over the last couple of years, and our talented players are underachieving.

Very disappointed by the team not making a change at DC.

There are 2 players on that defense who are capable of starting on more than half the teams in the league. Most of the starters would be hard
pressed to find any role other than at backup.

Blame the scouts, not the coordinator.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom