So has anyone thought about why the Jets would trade Vilma? (1 Viewer)

From the article on the front page:

"The Jaguars and Saints are believed to be among the potential suitors. The Saints have made no secret of their desire to acquire a middle linebacker, as they've already made an offer to former Dolphin Zach Thomas. Former Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson was recently hired by the Jaguars as an assistant, which explains their interest.

Under Henderson, who ran a 4-3 defense, Vilma was named the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2004. In 2005, he made the Pro Bowl as an alternate, looking like one of the Jets' best first-round picks in years.

When Mangini arrived in 2006 and switched to a 3-4, Vilma's production suffered. Hiding his frustration, at least publicly, he vowed to adapt his sideline-to-sideline style into the more restrictive 3-4 scheme. But he got off to a slow start and suffered a mysterious knee injury in the seventh game, sidelining him for the remainder of the season."

Same reason that a DT in the 3-4 and a 4-3 are different. In one scheme they are big bodies to clog up blockers and allow the LBs to come in and the other, they need penetration and to make the play at or behind the line of scrimmage.

Same kind of thing with LBs. A 3-4 expects a lot more from a ILB at the line, and a 4-3 expects more speed and range. Which is why we are suffering at LB. Our LBs are not fast enough to run a 4-3.

Yeah I know all that, but Thomas is small as well and had 165 tackles in the 3-4 in 2006. I think Vilma "struggling" in the 3-4 is a little overrated. He was on pace for 100 tackles again this season.

well remember takeo spikes he had an Achilles tendon problem and he is doing fine. is a micro-fracture worse?

reading between the lines... I think Mangenius' hiring might not have been to his suiting... then to switch schemes and have Henderson hit the road along with Herm... I think maybe he became tired of being a Jet. This might be one of those situations where it never will go public but Vilma and Eric can't co-exist.

I don't think this is a case of a team trying to unload damaged goods before everyone else catches on.

So I've read through all 3 Vilma threads on this board and even checked out the Wikipedia microfracture link, but I am confused as to why there is even any speculation on whether or not he had surgery. Deuce had surgery. Drew had surgery. Meachem had surgery. We know this about all kinds of NFL players all the time. I know the knee problem Vilma had was "suspicious", but why doesn't anyone know if he actually had this procedure?

I also thought these things had to be part of injury reports and such- was he placed on IR?

It's unclear what the Jets are seeking, but there's no doubt that Vilma's value took a hit because of major knee surgery last November. Vilma has started jogging and hopes to be running full speed in about a month, he wrote this week on his Web site. If he can show he's healthy before the April 26 draft, it will greatly enhance his stock. Sources believe the Jets could get a third-round pick, perhaps slightly higher, for a healthy Vilma.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...2-22_jonathan_vilma_can_fly_away.html?ref=rss

So I've read through all 3 Vilma threads on this board and even checked out the Wikipedia microfracture link, but I am confused as to why there is even any speculation on whether or not he had surgery. Deuce had surgery. Drew had surgery. Meachem had surgery. We know this about all kinds of NFL players all the time. I know the knee problem Vilma had was "suspicious", but why doesn't anyone know if he actually had this procedure?

I also thought these things had to be part of injury reports and such- was he placed on IR?

The Jets team policy to not to discuss surgery details. So noone really knows what he had.

they refer to it as "mysterious" in the article. About all coach will say is that he's rehabbing and time and hard work will tell the tale

well remember takeo spikes he had an Achilles tendon problem and he is doing fine. is a micro-fracture worse?

Microfracture is intentially done to promote cartlidge growth. His injury is a mystery...nobody really knows the exact problem...only that microfracture surgery is the answer.

The Jets defense is horrible. Vilma is one of the best LB's in the league when healthy. They are in mass rebuilding mode of that D so why would they wanta get rid of one of their major building blocks?

Theres gotta be more to this then....oh everythings great, Vilma will be fully healthy by July...

Is it the injury? Cap trouble? They've already found a better replacement?

This is just a little to good to be true when it comes to a player like Vilma. If the injury is to much of a risk for a Jets team in desperate need of defenseive talent, is that not a little telling?

Vilma is a 4-3 linebacker, Jets just started running a 3-4 since Mangina got there..... he hasn't worked AT ALL in the 3-4..... that and oh yeah, he may never be able to play at a high level again

What you do not realize is that Jonathan Vilma has never played to his full potential in the Jets 3-4 defense. It makes even less sense for the Jets to keep him, seeing that they have found a perfect replacement in a young star, David Harris.

So why does an athlete like Vilma have trouble in a 3-4 as opposed to a 4-3, but a guy like Thomas can put up monster numbers in both?

Which ILB position did Vilma play in the 3-4?

Might simply be that Thomas was able to adapt and make the change. Zach was always predicted to fail at the NFL level and has always proved those predictions wrong. The guy has uncanny instincts and they've served very well in both defensive schemes.

From the article on the front page:

"The Jaguars and Saints are believed to be among the potential suitors. The Saints have made no secret of their desire to acquire a middle linebacker, as they've already made an offer to former Dolphin Zach Thomas. Former Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson was recently hired by the Jaguars as an assistant, which explains their interest.

Under Henderson, who ran a 4-3 defense, Vilma was named the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2004. In 2005, he made the Pro Bowl as an alternate, looking like one of the Jets' best first-round picks in years.

When Mangini arrived in 2006 and switched to a 3-4, Vilma's production suffered. Hiding his frustration, at least publicly, he vowed to adapt his sideline-to-sideline style into the more restrictive 3-4 scheme. But he got off to a slow start and suffered a mysterious knee injury in the seventh game, sidelining him for the remainder of the season."

I bet this is why Thomas sped up his meeting with Dallas...he wants to make a decision soon and not let the Saints trade for Vilma...or maybe the Saints wants Thomas to think we may trade for him.

The Jets defense is horrible. Vilma is one of the best LB's in the league when healthy. They are in mass rebuilding mode of that D so why would they wanta get rid of one of their major building blocks?

Theres gotta be more to this then....oh everythings great, Vilma will be fully healthy by July...

Is it the injury? Cap trouble? They've already found a better replacement?

This is just a little to good to be true when it comes to a player like Vilma. If the injury is to much of a risk for a Jets team in desperate need of defenseive talent, is that not a little telling?

Well he doesnt really fit the 3-4 MLB position, David Harris came in his spot and they improved...its really pretty simple, you get the right pieces for the puzzle, Vilma no longer fits that piece, he knows that the Jets know that....injury aside.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom