So has anyone thought about why the Jets would trade Vilma? (1 Viewer)

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixir
Reaction score
The Jets defense is horrible. Vilma is one of the best LB's in the league when healthy. They are in mass rebuilding mode of that D so why would they wanta get rid of one of their major building blocks?

Theres gotta be more to this then....oh everythings great, Vilma will be fully healthy by July...

Is it the injury? Cap trouble? They've already found a better replacement?

This is just a little to good to be true when it comes to a player like Vilma. If the injury is to much of a risk for a Jets team in desperate need of defenseive talent, is that not a little telling?

I remeber the draft back then, everyone on here was gunning for Vilma to fall...and then the jets took him...blar!

His production fell off when Mangini arrived and they switched to the 3-4. That's also why they're not keen on Dewayne Robertson.

Vilma doesn't have the frame to take on the increased blockers an ILB is counted on to do in a 3-4, as stated above, David Harris has excelled, making Vilma expendable.

Well, I know that a lot of pundits say that he is more adept at playing in a 4-3 than in their 3-4. Maybe the feel that he has value in getting a player who is a better fit for their scheme.

Two Words... David Harris.

-or- knee injury...

-or- poor fit..

I'd hardly say he was a poor fit for the 3-4, considering the numbers he put up 2004-2006 and 2007 until the injury. I have heard alot of people say that on here though. Or did Mangini just change them to the 3-4?

Beyond the injury, Vilma just does not fit into the Jets defensive system. He's a better fit for the 4-3 where he excelled in his first couple of seasons in the NFL. He's not a fit for the 3-4 and so I am led to believe that the Jets would be seeking to trade him with or without the injury he suffered.

I'd hardly say he was a poor fit for the 3-4, considering the numbers he put up 2004-2006 and 2007 until the injury. I have heard alot of people say that on here though. Or did Mangini just change them to the 3-4?

The Jets did not run a 3-4 during that time. They did not run the 3-4 until Mangini arrived.

They heard that Jason David was staying in NO, so they want to send him here as a condolence gift. /sarcasm off.

That is a good question though. Maybe there's something up that we don't know about:dunno:.

The Jets did not run a 3-4 during that time. They did not run the 3-4 until Mangini arrived.

So why does an athlete like Vilma have trouble in a 3-4 as opposed to a 4-3, but a guy like Thomas can put up monster numbers in both?

Which ILB position did Vilma play in the 3-4?

We could ask the same of JD. We know that the cover 2 can mask the deficiencies of a defense but did you ever expect Jason to be this bad?

So why does an athlete like Vilma have trouble in a 3-4 as opposed to a 4-3, but a guy like Thomas can put up monster numbers in both?

Which ILB position did Vilma play in the 3-4?

Same reason that a DT in the 3-4 and a 4-3 are different. In one scheme they are big bodies to clog up blockers and allow the LBs to come in and the other, they need penetration and to make the play at or behind the line of scrimmage.

Same kind of thing with LBs. A 3-4 expects a lot more from a ILB at the line, and a 4-3 expects more speed and range. Which is why we are suffering at LB. Our LBs are not fast enough to run a 4-3.

Perhaps Vilma, a smaller, quicker LB, is less of an engager, meaning he doesn't take on blocks well.. As the ILB in a 3-4, he'd have to face guards and centers all day.. If he's using his speed to avoid them or not dis-engaging them well, instead of taking them on and trying to hold his ground, then he's creating holes in the middle of their defense.. I seem to recall something like this about him from draft time 2004.. Maybe not, and it's pure speculation on my part..

In a 4-3 defense, ideally Vilma would have an extra DT taking up blockers for him, leaving him free to make the tackle..

David Harris, on the other hand, is built like a tank and can more readily take on those blockers..

Last edited:
Negatives: Vilma played inside backer at Miami, but he's a little small to play the middle in the NFL. He has good speed, but as outside linebackers go, he's just average. He might be best-suited to play the weak side, but if he bulks up a little, he could stay in the middle. Would probably be a great fit on the inside of a 3-4 defense.

He must also learn to use his hands better to get off blocks against the run. He has a tough time getting away from offensive linemen once he locks up with them.

http://football.about.com/cs/playerprofiles/p/jonathanvilma.htm

Not sure how qualified this guy is at scouting or if he was just restating something found elsewhere, but part of his review contradicts everything that we've been told (poor fit for 3-4) and the other part (bad at getting off blockers) fits right with what we've been told (poor fit for 3-4)..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom