So here's something about my day (1 Viewer)

At the same time, I had to smile just a little reading about your grandmother. She sounded like one hoot of a lady. Remember the good times with her...let those live forever.

I did too. I post again and my Condolences David, I did not mean to come across any other way. But reading that story, it seemed that the Marines and the War was a part of yur grandmother that she never let go of. Matching that story with the picture as well. It seems that was a very strong sense of pride for her.

Joe

David, my condolences as well. Life is a journey, not a destination. Sounds like she led a great life and is now in a better place.

Quite a moving story about a wonderful woman who sounds as if she lived a full life. It seems to have struck a cord with a lot of us in terms of our own losses. I have had these conflictions as well and while they may appear troublesome, they are universal.
Dementia of any sort can be devastating, especially for the caregivers and loved ones. You have my deepest sympathy. Be well, and keep good memories.

David..somehow i missed this thread but Marc told me about your loss tonight. I know alot about alzheimers since my father suffers from that horrible disease.

Take care brother..i need to call you soon so we can shoot the breeze a bit.

peace to you

David,

Let me add my condolences also. As Darlexat said, this strikes a chord with many of us. In my case, I only knew one of my grandparents... my grandmother who came to live with us in my teen years after Alzheimer's had made her unable to take care of herself. Those couple of years made for some great stories which still make me smile...

We used to say about my grandmother, "She's a pistol." What you wrote about yours reminded me of that. The good, nostalgic memories are what you hang onto for a lifetime.

Best to you and yours,
StWill

I just want to thank everybody for their kind words. It means a lot.

The funeral was yesterday. We really didn't expect anybody other than a few of the family to be there given the short notice and the time that had passed since she left Texas and her inability to remain in contact with anybody. Much to our surprise, several of her elderly friends braved the afternoon heat to come and pay their last respects. That meant a lot.

On Saturday I learned that an old acquaintance and former coworker in Ruston died sometime last week. He'd missed some work and had not been heard from, his sister went to check on him Friday, and found him in his recliner. He was still in his work clothes. I've been told he'd been complaining of shortness of breath in recent months. Perhaps a heart attack? He was 44.

Just another sobering reminder of how quickly and unexpectedly a life can end. I know such things are almost always said when somebody passes away but Rusty really was one of the good guys.

Despite that additional bad news, I am doing fine. It was good to spend time with my Mom and Uncles. And one final funny moment left to us by Grandma -- when they went to clean her apartment at the assisted living facility, they found a stockpile of toilet paper. Stacked high and deep in the closet and who knows where else. Apparently she often requested toilet paper when my Mom would visit and asked if she needed anything. Mom never thought twice about it and always obliged. Kati says they have toilet paper to last a year. :)

Wow, an added note to the pm: My Grandmas name was Katy, and did the same thing stashin TP! AND she was from Texas! Must be the water. ;)

I don't know how I missed this David. I am sincerely sorry for your loss.

I just saw this, too. I am sorry for your loss David. As others have stated, as long as you remember her, she will always be there with you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom