So honestly how will you feel if Payton eventually ends up coaching the Cowboys? (1 Viewer)

He will be in Dallas THIS year or next. No doubt about it.

I hate it, but what can you do?

He will be in Dallas THIS year or next. No doubt about it.

I hate it, but what can you do?
It’s not that uncommon. Coaches on Payton’s level rarely stay retired. Even Lombardi didn’t retire a Packer. Or Parcells a Giant. Stram a Chief. Ditka a Bear. Johnson a Cowboy. Holmgren a Packer. Shanahan a Bronco. McCarthy a Packer. You get the idea.

I feel bad for Mike McCarthy, dude is a super bowl winning coach, had a pretty good season despite what happened in the wild card round. He's going to be 2nd guessed way worse now that Payton stepped away from coaching. Every national show is already drooling at the thought that Payton heads to Dallas after a year or two away from the game. Every time Jerry Jones speaks to the media, he's going to be asked about Payton.

I can live with him coming back but I would have a reaction if it was the Cowboys, Falcons, Bucs, or Panthers. To say you need a break and immediately say you could see yourself coaching again tells me he doesn't need a break, he needs to make a break from us. Dianna Ruisini commented that Payton thinks if he was at a franchise with more "juice" the things that have happened to him/saints wouldn't have. He's gonna be the Cowboys coach in 23 and I will despise him. I am a Kentucky fan and Rick Pitino saved Kentucky basketball from being irrelevant. We has my favorite coach of all time. He left for the NBA them came back and coached the school I hated the most in Louisville. I will always be thankful for what he did but I hated him and wanted no further success. If he does that, I hope Jerry makes him miserable and frankly, as petty as Payton is, I would hope he'd appreciate that.

I just hate he left when we were in such flux. No way he is in need of a break if Brees was still here playing at a high level or we could pay for an elite QB. They mortgaged the future for the Brees era and he's bailing at a time we need someone like him for the transition. For someone who is excited about the next challenge, he sure wasn't interested in embracing this, which tells me our future may be more bleak than we realize. I'm sad and it will be bitter soon enough if we're a 5 win team and he's in the SB with the Cowboys

Last edited:
I think the odds are relatively high that he will. After at most two years in TV, he will coach again. The criteria will be a team with a legitimate Super Bowl shot and a high-profile team. This is about Payton improving his chances of getting into the Hall of Fame. Dallas meets those criteria and will have an opening after 2022 unless the Cowboys play in the conference championship game.

If he goes to Jacksonville then I would be okay with it. But Dallas?
The Saints organization has been loyal to SP. Most coaches would have been fired after the Vicodin and Bounty Gate issues. But Mr. Benson kept him.
I also don't think he would have full control at a place like Dallas as he did with the Saints. I would have an issue if he left for Dallas

I can live with him coming back but I would have a reaction if it was the Cowboys, Falcons, Bucs, or Panthers. To say you need a break and immediately say you could see yourself coaching again tells me he doesn't need a break, he needs to make a break from us. Dianna Ruisini commented that Payton thinks if he was at a franchise with more "juice" the things that have happened to him/saints wouldn't have. He's gonna be the Cowboys coach in 23 and I will despise him. I am a Kentucky fan and Rick Pitino saved Kentucky basketball from being irrelevant. We has my favorite coach of all time. He left for the NBA them came back and coached the school I hated the most in Louisville. I will always be thankful for what he did but I hated him and wanted no further success. If he does that, I hope Jerry makes him miserable and frankly, as petty as Payton is, I would hope he'd appreciate that.

I just hate he left when we were in such flux. No way he is in need of a break if Brees was still here playing at a high level or we could pay for an elite QB. They mortgaged the future for the Brees era and he's bailing at a time we need someone like him for the transition. For someone who is excited about the next challenge, he sure wasn't interested in embracing this, which tells me our future may be more bleak than we realize. I'm sad and it will be bitter soon enough if we're a 5 win team and he's in the SB with the Cowboys
I couldn’t have said it any better. TY

As long as we're well compensated for it, I have no problem with it. We maintain his rights indefinitely because there are 3 years remaining on his contract. So which ever team wants to acquire him will have to satisfy the Saints demands for compensation. Multiple draft picks and a high value player would be fair compensation.

The Saints organization has been loyal to SP. Most coaches would have been fired after the Vicodin and Bounty Gate issues. But Mr. Benson kept him.
Haven't seen anyone else bring this up yet. Excellent point.

I get more mad the more I think about all of this.

I wouldn’t have any hard feelings. He brought us up from the ashes. We were the doormat of the league and he won us a Super Bowl. I had tears of joy weeks. I will forever be grateful.

I would wish him well. He has done his job here and it was one hell of a ride. Payton and Brees are once in a generation coach and player and gave us a reason to cheer. All good things must come to an end, however. I am happy that we can say, WE WERE CHAMPIONS. CAN NEVER TAKE THAT AWAY. NEVER!!

As long as the Saints are properly compensated then whatever. I can deal with it. I would be able to understand that it would be an incredible opportunity for him. Even though the Cowboys haven't done much lately they are still the Cowboys. If Jerry Jones gives you control then it's not just a dream job, it's the dream job.

But just going by how the Benson's have treated SP I'm worried that they wouldn't make a big deal about compensation if he decides to come back after a year. Most owners would make a huge deal out of it and demand the most they can possibly get. I just don't see Gayle Benson putting her foot in the ground and making demands. Seems more likely that she would say that SP won a Super Bowl in New Orleans so he's free to do what he wants.

At this point I'm not even thinking about this as some hypothetical situation. I feel like it's a certainty. Sean Payton is a lifer. At this point in his career why would he want to go through a rebuild with no QB and no cap space? If he wants another Super Bowl then the quickest and easiest way to reach that goal is to go somewhere else.

I think that's the plan. Maybe not Dallas per say, but he's done with the Saints. I think claiming he's gonna take a "year off" is just a way to make the departure less painful.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom