So honestly how will you feel if Payton eventually ends up coaching the Cowboys? (2 Viewers)

So, you would be cool with the fact that he mortgage the future of the team for a QB on the decline and then took up a pet project which also failed, leaving the team with no resources to improve their roster? Nah man, if he doesn't pull a Cowher, ima be P'Oed!!!
So if what you describe is true, wouldn’t you want Sean fired?

Why do you have jilted lovers syndrome if his personnel moves are so atrocious?

Payton being off the market for a year or two will do nothing to lessen his value if he wants to return to coaching. The question is whether Loomis is willing to play hardball negotiations with the Cowboys or whatever team wants to sign him. The Saints should demand at least a mid to high first round draft pick for the rights to Sean Payton if he wants to coach again and the Saints are not an option. At a minimum, it would give Loomis the ability to veto (based on compensation demands) where Payton would be able to coach for the next three years.

Remember, the NFL is a business first.

Otherwise, I hope Sean Payton enjoys his retirement / sabbatical from coaching. It will be interesting to see what offers in media he gets - should be entertaining!

I want a 1st round pick if he leaves.

Last edited:
Let me say this and want to be very clear. Sean is a good coach, but he made to one super bowl with arguably one of the best qbs to play the game.

If you think he will go to Dallas and bring to them to super bowl, then you obviously have not been watching him with the saints.

Clearly Jerry Jones is hellbent on getting Payton in Dallas. If Payton wants to leave and Jones wants him that badly, then let's rob the Cowgirls for everything they're willing to offer. 3 1st Rounders, a 2nd rounder or two, and one of their WRs. Maybe Diggs?

He's a HoF coach. The Cowgirls are dumber than they look and act if they think a HoF HC is going to come cheap.

If you were Mickey, would you lower his value just because of a year in media? I mean the guy was a top 5 coach without question.
Me personally heck no and I would never budge on the price. That price today would be what it is tomorrow whenever tomorrow comes.

But…..

They have a relationship a friendship. Time lessens all blows be it death, getting a divorce or losing a coach. If Payton really wants that I can see Loomis and Ms. Benson not taking a kings ransom to give Payton what he wants. If the Saints came out today and said we traded Payton to Dallas for a 3rd round pick the fans will riot. If the Saints come out in 2023 and say we are trading Payton to the Cowboys for a 3rd round pick we won’t care because if we go 2-15 we will hate him in 2023 for doing this to us or if we have a new HC and are back in the playoffs we will have moved on.

I truly think Dallas is something he wants but I think he is being cautious and perhaps even respectful in how he gets himself there.

He also may end up loving TV and say bye to coaching.

This was an interesting read that he almost left after 2018.
This actually makes sense that this was going to happen. Brees had just turned 40, had his big birthday party, and was telling people he expected to retire. So when Jones came calling, Payton probably thought with Brees retiring, it was a good time for him and the franchise to make a change, too.

And remember the Saints didn’t have a first round pick in 2019 because of the trade to get Davenport. So a package of a couple of first rounders would have helped the Saints make a move to draft a QB for the new coach in 2019 or 2020.

But it fell through, and Drew ended up coming back after all.

If/when Payton ever gets the itch to coach again we know where it will be. And there will still be compensation to the Saints, but it will be much less for signing him out of retirement than it would have been if he was the active head coach.

It could be Dallas or Green Bay or another storied franchise. It's going to be hard which ever team it is having Sean come in and kick our butt especially as a Cowboys head coach. The thought is aggravating.

I hope a team with someone like Herbert or Josh Allen suddenly needs a coach so he can be lured there instead of what feels like an inevitable reunion with Dallas

Just for comparison, how did Giants fans react to Bill going to Dallas? I think that would’ve hurt more because they’re actual division rivals.

Spoiler alert. He is gonna take a year off and then coach......a team in the XFL in 2023!!!

Actually I still think he is hanging them up good.
If you watched that press conference today there is no way you could say he is hanging them up for good. He's going to coach again just not us.

So if what you describe is true, wouldn’t you want Sean fired?

Why do you have jilted lovers syndrome if his personnel moves are so atrocious?
You are completely misunderstanding this thread and my post. This thread isn't about his retirement, this is about the HYPOTHETICAL reason for his retirement. But seeing how there are a few questioning my views on his coaching abilities, allow me to make my opinion of him clear.

I believe that Payton is THE main reason why this team has been so successful and I trust the system he put into place. There hasn't been a SINGLE player on this team that I valued more than I valued Payton PERIOD

...That being said, I'm disappointed that it has come to this, I thought he was in it for the long haul considering the team's financial commitment to his pet project. That, along with multiple other decisions, has left the team in an incredible bind that he was expected to lead them through. I wished he would have had it in him to finish the job.

He got us a Super Bowl and will always be a special person to any Saints fan, but....he's gone now and I hope, if he ever comes back to coaching in the NFL that the Saints demand and get a KING'S RANSOM for him. I don't care if Loomis is his buddy, Gayle Benson needs to drive a VERY hard bargain. If Sean Payton ever does coach again in the NFL for a team other than the Saints, I hope he goes 0-17 and gets fired after the season. He's not our guy anymore and I want every other NFL team to lose, it is that simple. Thanks for all you did for us, thanks for the trophy and all, but you are gone now, so bye bye.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom