So How Many Needs Do We Have (1 Viewer)

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The one Saints narrative on this board that over the years I have found incomprehensible is that the Saints were so talented, we did not need many draft picks. Of course, in the last draft, Baltimore had 11 draft picks, and Kansas City and Minnesota has 10 draft picks. Every team can improve. No team has quality starters and depth at every position. We currently have a horrible salary-cap position, and the following are unrestricted free agents: Jameis Landry, Andy Dalton, Mark Ingram, Deonte Hardy, Marcus Davenport, Tanoh Kpassagnon, David Onyemata, Kaden Ellis, Shy Tuttle, Kentavius Street, P. J. Williams, and Justin Evans.

In the UFA group, there are only a few I would like to bring back, though there are some reporters who follow the team who believe we will try to keep Davenport (given the contract he will want, I would not, and I believe we will not be able to do so). I would try to keep Dalton, Kpassagnon, Ellis, and Tuttle. Also, it appears that Thomas will be released, that Kamara will be suspended for at least six games, and that some other veteran players under contract, like Peat, may have to be released.

Because of our salary-cap position, our last high quality free-agent signing was arguably five years ago with Demario Davis.

And both Demario Davis and Cameron Jordan will be 34 when the 2023 season begins.

Incidentally, we have at the moment seven draft picks.

So how many needs do we have:

1. Quarterback--Dalton can be the bridge. The quarterback of the future is not on the roster. I want this year or next a young quarterback playing under rookie contract so that we can be active in the free-agency market like Philadelphia and Baltimore.

2. Running Back--Kamara will likely be suspended for a good portion of the 2023 season. Who do we have after Kamara? We could use two running backs--a back with power and a back with speed who can be used in the running game.

3. Wide Receiver--We need a bigger receiver.

4. Tight End--We desperately need at least one.

5. Offensive Line--Even assuming Penning returns healthy and meets expectations, we could use a guard and another offensive lineman for depth.

6. Defensive Line--Even assuming Onyamata returns, we need a big defensive tackle and a defensive end, unless Davenport comes back.

7. Linebacker--We have Davis, Werner and Ellis. Davis is 34. We need a linebacker.

8. Defensive Backs--For starters, we need a safety.

Rome was not built in a day. And the Saints are not going to be rebuilt in a season. But if make the hard decisions to get our salary cap under control, and keep our draft picks and draft well, we can compete again in two or three years.

Don’t agree that we desperately need a TE. We don’t have Ellis. He’s our biggest UFA. If we are able to re-sign him I don’t think LB is a need.

QB and RB. Guard can be upgraded. On D, run stuffing DT and a FS with range. LB wouldn’t hurt.

All this QB QB QB. There is no QB in this draft that I would trade 2 #1s plus more for . AND I don't believe there is any QB in this draft that would come in and make us win more games than a healthy roster and say a David Carr or that caliber QB . I would take Jake Haener in the 4th because i think he has IT and will develop. . Built the car first and then pick the driver

In rank order:

QB
RB
DE
WR
DT
OG
S
TE
LB

Only positions I think we’re ok at are OT, OC, CB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom