so i can finally get a dog.... (1 Viewer)

My girlfriend has 2 Italian Greyhounds which are under 20 pounds, very friendly, intelligent, and need to be walked just a few times a day. Unlike Whippets(sp) and regular greyhounds they are pretty low energy and sleep most of the day. Maybe not the manliest dog but they are wonderful companions. I on the other hand have a Chihuahua. Yeah it's the least manliest dog but if you find a good one, mine is very friendly and never barks unless to warn me, you'll never let him go.

Best of luck! And please do check the pounds.

English Bulldog
Mini Schnauzer
Boston Terrier

We have a Mini Schnauzer in an apartment now. She's very well-behaved, but active enough to be a fun dog. She fetches and loves to play and is great with other people. Best of all, I don't want to slap the thing because it looks so girlie. I don't think we could have gotten a better dog.

Save a dog from the pound.

Make sure the dog is fully grown so there's no surprise on how big it will grow, and make sure it wasn't turned into the pound because it barked too much...you'll get kicked out of that apartment in no time. Be careful of any mixed breed puppy or young dog unless you've seen BOTH parents, or you'll run the risk of going over that 20 lb. limit!

If a boxer is what you really want then just go ahead and get the boxer. My wife and I lived in an apartment complex that had a 30 lb rule and we just went ahead and got our boxer and no one said anything. We did leave when our lease was up and at that time she was about 40 lbs.

They will never say anything to you about the weight of the dog and if they do go to the vet and tell them your story and they will put 20lbs on the paper work for you. I know a lot of vets that would do that for you so you could last 2 or 3 months.

By the way Boxers are the best dogs ever!

T

My English Bulldog was just a little over 20 lbs. at 6 months old. About 25 lbs. A very "manly" dog and very energetic until they get full grown. At which point they become lathargic mass of fat. Cute, lovable fat, though. Great with kids also, if you have any in your family.

English Bulldog
Mini Schnauzer
Boston Terrier

We have a Mini Schnauzer in an apartment now. She's very well-behaved, but active enough to be a fun dog. She fetches and loves to play and is great with other people. Best of all, I don't want to slap the thing because it looks so girlie. I don't think we could have gotten a better dog.

I second the mini schnauzer. Never was around one until I started dating my wife in 03. Her mini schnauzer died 4 wks before we were married. She was devastated. He was a great dog for the short time I was around him. Anyway, I told her we'd get another when we got back from our honeymoon, which we did. He has a very similar personality as her other one: very smart, attentive, playful, easily trained, affectionate.

My English Bulldog was just a little over 20 lbs. at 6 months old. About 25 lbs. A very "manly" dog and very energetic until they get full grown. At which point they become lathargic mass of fat. Cute, lovable fat, though. Great with kids also, if you have any in your family.
I have always wanted an English Bulldog, but I'm not willing to ever spend more than $200 on an animal and I don't want an adult dog.

I have always wanted an English Bulldog, but I'm not willing to ever spend more than $200 on an animal and I don't want an adult dog.

They are worth the money. Unlike any other dog. Simply amazing animals.

Plus, if you get a male, you can stud him out for around $1,000. Certified cash cow.

You don't know who you're talking to. I'm 'Mr. Cheap' and don't pay what anything is worth. :D

We had an English Bulldog when my wife and I were first married. That was a great dog. But they are also very strong and powerful, and with little kids around my house, I wouldn't get one now.

If I were to get a dog now (and I know that I will not - because I have no interest in taking care of a dog - the walking, the cleaning, the pooping, etc.), I'd get a greyhound. They are pitched as "the world's fastest couch-potato(e)s." They'd rather just lay around all day. That'd be alright with me.

CT has a good idea....wait another 6 months, and adopt a retired racing greyhound. You're giving a dog a home that needs one, and you're getting a great companion. The ones I've met are quiet, sweet, and yes, they're couch potatoes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom