So I decided building a PC is cheaper ... a question? (2 Viewers)

Redfish

© Geaux Saints!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So after quite a bit of time I've decided to build again rather than buy from one of the Custom PC companies. Mainly be used for for Photoshop, Lightroom and gaming, looking forward to my free copy of Metro Last Light and the coming of BF4.

System Build:
Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed Black
MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming mobo
Intel Core i7-3770K (CORSAIR Hydro Series H60)
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III
WD Black 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s (storage drive)
CORSAIR HX Series HX750
MSI N680GTX TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 680
and of course a few other perennials

So the question: I'm going to install Windows 8 - :scratch: - and am curious to know if any users have StartIsBack installed? Read a lot about Start8 but seems from the reviews that StartIsBack is better implemented than Start8. Too I'm quite open for other suggestions.

I know Microsoft is releasing an update in the future that might supersede this program but my thinking is for $3.00 I can have the Windows 7 experience in the mean time.

I honestly wouldn't think about it too hard. I know the start menu seems like a big deal, but I haven't used it since 8 was released and I don't miss it. It takes a little retraining of the mind, but everything is still there. And as you said, the app is $3.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed Black

I have the non-windowed version of this case and love it.

Intel Core i7-3770K

Newegg has this on sale now through the 29th with promo code EMCXRVT48 (you may have to register your email address to be able to use this or any other Newegg code)

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)

Many of the mobo's at Newegg are bundled with 8gb free Crucial memory right now (including many MSI's), if you're interested.

EDIT: Here's the mobo you had listed with the free 8gb memory deal:

MSI Z77A-GD65 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - Newegg.com

Free Gift: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model BLS8G3D1609ES2LX0 (value:$62.99)

WD Black 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s (storage drive)

Personally, I think a black drive is a waste for a storage drive. I'd get a green drive instead. Avoid the blue drives at all costs.

MSI N680GTX TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 680

If you haven't done so, you may want to take a close look at the 680's vs. the 670's performance-wise. The increase in performance in the 680's is so miniscule that it really isn't worth the extra $100-150 at all. It's less than 10%, iirc. If you look at some of the tests that use the factory overclocked 670 cards (like the EVGA FTW+ for example), you'll find that the performance is literally almost equal for much cheaper. Tom's Hardware has some good threads and tests about this.

I don't have anything to offer about Windows 8, since it is the debil and I avoid it. The 8.1 release preview is supposed to be downloadable sometime in June (23rd maybe?), so I will give it another shot at that point. Who knows when they will release the actual update.

My real question is about your use of the computer. You say photoshop, lightroom, and gaming. Are you using photoshop and lightroom professionally or just as a hobby? Right now you're building a computer that is gaming > photoshop/lightroom. I just want to make sure that's intentional or at least OK.

Thanks guys! Lurk I'd say gaming foremost right now. PS and LR are strictly a hobby although I have sold a few photos.
I did get the mono combo and already have the Crucial memory sold. Debated hard over the GFX and found the MSI on a quick sale for only $40 more than the like 670 I was considering. Oddly within an hour it was regular price, go figure amazons pricing sometimes. It was while the news of the 780 was being released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$79 case
$309 CPU
$129 PSU
$423 GPU
$72 Memory
$59 CPU cooler
$154 Motherboard
$79 Blu ray reader/burner
$249 SSD
$94 HD
$99 Win8
$25 in extra 120mm case fans
- $100 roughly in free game and rebates
- $69 for sell of 8GB Crucial RAM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lurk I'd say gaming foremost right now. PS and LR are strictly a hobby although I have sold a few photos.

Then I think you're good to go with this setup. Should be a nice rig; let us know how it turns out!

I don't know what case fans you were looking at, but all Rosewill fans are 25% off until 11:59PST tomorrow night at Newegg: EMCXRVT93

BTW, I looked at that MSI card you're talking about (I assumed you're looking at the 670 now with the price you quoted). It looks to have a nice cooling setup. Good choice. :9:

Then I think you're good to go with this setup. Should be a nice rig; let us know how it turns out!

I don't know what case fans you were looking at, but all Rosewill fans are 25% off until 11:59PST tomorrow night at Newegg: EMCXRVT93

BTW, I looked at that MSI card you're talking about (I assumed you're looking at the 670 now with the price you quoted). It looks to have a nice cooling setup. Good choice. :9:

Will do as stuff arrives. Got case in one day via FedEx but remaining items will come after the Monday holiday. Looking forward to assembling everything since my current Core 2 duo MSI build is fixing to be 6 years old. And with the original OEM install of Vista 64 x86.

I had seen that email. I've been partial to SilenX over the years. Extremely low db at high CFM's.

It actually is the MSI 680 but I quoted the wrong price. It was $423 via amazon for about 4 hours during the time the news of the Nvidia 780 was being talked up.

I've been made a quick fan of Cougar fans, fwiw. They look funny but are dead quiet and quite effective.

I've been made a quick fan of Cougar fans, fwiw. They look funny but are dead quiet and quite effective.

Those are certainly a nice design.

After doing some more looking around I decided to order the Corsair 140mm Quiet Edition fans. Amazon had then with free 3 day shipping today. I'll RMA the Silnex ones back to newegg.

I have these in my recent build and like them a lot.

Yeah I liked what I read about them and their appearance.

I just need the parts to assemble now. Already read the mobo documentation so I'm just sitting on geaux! I'm a perfectionist on airflow and cable concealment.

Not really a big fan of MSI motherboards. I have infinite success with ASUS Sabertooth Motherboards. Still running my 1155 socket now until I decide to make the jump to Haswell soon. You have a ton of nice hardware components listed, I wouldn't cut cost on the primary plate. However, that is just my opinion :) .

Up and running and must say that I'm quite impressed! With about 90% of my programs loaded Win8 is booted to the desktop in 8 seconds after pushing the power button ... :ezbill: ... do have the Start8 program install as the Metro thing ain't that impressive right now but might go on me ... :scratch:

8912096912_ebfcc20685_o.jpg

Up and running and must say that I'm quite impressed! With about 90% of my programs loaded Win8 is booted to the desktop in 8 seconds after pushing the power button ... :ezbill: ... do have the Start8 program install as the Metro thing ain't that impressive right now but might go on me ... :scratch:

8912096912_ebfcc20685_o.jpg

Nice. Fwiw, 8.1 is due in less than a month and will give you back the start menu.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom