So I guess Cam is just going to get away with it, then? (1 Viewer)

I got one:

Cecil and Kenny told Cam they could get some money if Cam went to MSU, MSU balked, Cam goes to AU, then they all lie about Cam knowing to keep him eligible.

I got one:

Cecil and Kenny told Cam they could get some money if Cam went to MSU, MSU balked, Cam goes to AU, then they all lie about Cam knowing to keep him eligible.

It could have gone down that way, but you have to prove it. That's why cam will never be declared ineligible. Cam or Cecil will have to give that information up, and that isn't happening. That's why the Heisman (if won by Cam) will not be taken away and why a national championship (if won) will not be taken away.

Reggie was busted because his agent was ratting him out and had an ax to grind. MSU doesn't want to say it was discussing money. They will always take the position that they were approached and shot it down. Otherwise they would get into trouble. Obviously Cam won't say he knew. Even if it went down like you said, Cecil can take the heat with little effect on him, and all the other actors are happy with that and there will be no" new evidence" to investigate.

Honestly, that is just how the NCAA wants it.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

It could have gone down that way, but you have to prove it. That's why cam will never be declared ineligible. Cam or Cecil will have to give that information up, and that isn't happening. That's why the Heisman (if won by Cam) will not be taken away and why a national championship (if won) will not be taken away.

Reggie was busted because his agent was ratting him out and had an ax to grind. MSU doesn't want to say it was discussing money. They will always take the position that they were approached and shot it down. Otherwise they would get into trouble. Obviously Cam won't say he knew. Even if it went down like you said, Cecil can take the heat with little effect on him, and all the other actors are happy with that and there will be no" new evidence" to investigate.

True. The only person who I think could do them in is Rogers. So Cecil better stay on his good side :hihi:

True. The only person who I think could do them in is Rogers. So Cecil better stay on his good side :hihi:

Rogers is already under investigation by the NFLPA for misleading himself, claiming he was an agent, I don't think his word carries much weight versus everyone else involved.

I think both sides are grasping until the federal investigation concludes. I am guessing they will get closer to the truth than the NCAA without really trying.

Rogers is already under investigation by the NFLPA for misleading himself, claiming he was an agent, I don't think his word carries much weight versus everyone else involved.

If he did implicate Cam, it would be his word against the accused. Considering Cam's past issues and Cecil's involvement with Rogers, how much weight would their words hold? Probably about the same.

It would all come down to evidence anyway. I think even if Rogers turned on the Newtons and said Cam knew all along and Cecil went to Auburn for money, without proof it wouldn't matter. Even if Rogers wasn't being investigated by the NFLPA, he would still need something concrete for anything to be done.

No one involved looks clean at all, whether they are or not.

You don't have to "prove" anything, as it isn't a court of law. The NCAA has always held the position that it is privilege to play, not a right, and the onus is usually on the player or team to remove suspicion once is cast. Therein lies the reason why they arbitrarily take away entire seasons (see Memphis basketball) when they have no proof but suspect someone (ala that Rose cheated because he passed an SAT after previously failing.... Too many examples to list really).

And who cares if Auburn did anything wrong? Newton did. And it matters not one iota if he knew about it or money even changed hands. It's a strict liability and the NCAA bylaws state that the mere solicitation of funds by a representative of the prospective student athlete is the violation. If I was a family member of any number of the HUNDREDS of athletes who have been rules ineligible for seasons or careers for FAR less I would getting my billion dollar class action suit ready. Auburn fans need to look no further than Bo Jackson for starters, who lost his eligibility for his entire senior year over a plane ride valued at 50 dollars in 1985.

Bo was screwed, but times and the NCAA have changed since then. Look no further than Alabama's Darius for proof.

Actually Dareus is a horrible example. He was, in fact suspended for several games over less than a couple of hundred dollars.

The NCAA hasn't changed, if anything they've gotten worse. Ask MSU about Renardo Sidney from this year, or any one of the 50 athletes that they have ruled ineligible this year according to Finebaum. One of which was over a pair of tires I believe.

It still hasn't been alleged, much less proven, that Newton or his father actually received anything of value in exchange for his commitment to Auburn.

It still hasn't been alleged, much less proven, that Newton or his father actually received anything of value in exchange for his commitment to Auburn.

That isn't the only requirement for being in violation of NCAA rules. Apparently all they had to do is ask.

Actually Dareus is a horrible example. He was, in fact suspended for several games over less than a couple of hundred dollars.

The NCAA hasn't changed, if anything they've gotten worse. Ask MSU about Renardo Sidney from this year, or any one of the 50 athletes that they have ruled ineligible this year according to Finebaum. One of which was over a pair of tires I believe.

I'm not following your logic, Dareus was flown twice to Miami and put up for the night. The flights alone are worth well over a few hundred dollars. He was suspended for two games for receiving benefits from an NFL agent. If you compare Darius to Jackson, Marcell got off very easy.

*edit* more specifically, Dareus received over $1700 in benefits and was allowed to pay the same amount to a charity to be reinstated (I wonder where that money came from).
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/09/tides_dareus_will_serve_a_two-.html
The NCAA allowed him to repay what he received, way more lenient than Bo.

*further edit* Bo lost his last year of baseball eligibility because of a trip to visit the Tampa Bay Bucs' organization. So tell me exactly how the NCAA has gotten worse?

You don't have to "prove" anything, as it isn't a court of law. The NCAA has always held the position that it is privilege to play, not a right, and the onus is usually on the player or team to remove suspicion once is cast. Therein lies the reason why they arbitrarily take away entire seasons (see Memphis basketball) when they have no proof but suspect someone (ala that Rose cheated because he passed an SAT after previously failing.... Too many examples to list really).

And who cares if Auburn did anything wrong? Newton did. And it matters not one iota if he knew about it or money even changed hands. It's a strict liability and the NCAA bylaws state that the mere solicitation of funds by a representative of the prospective student athlete is the violation

You are also conveniently forgetting that the NCAA determined that Cecil was involved in pay for play discussion with representatives of Mississippi State. If Cam was playing for MSU, he would be ruled ineligible whether or not it could proven he knew of his father's dealings.

No cam was involved in a pay for plan with MSU, whether he knew or not (and it would take quite a stretch and a fail at logic to think he didn't). After all, Cecil isn't a prospective student athlete.

You are correct in that it would terminate any relationship with MSU, though you are incorrect in assuming that the precedential NCAA stance would be to absolve the player of any adverse action for his egregious act.

Exactly, Dareus was actually suspended for less than 1 percent of the amount that Newton or his representative solicited. And Newton has walked, at least for now..

Mark my words, history will show Oregon as the national champs regardless of the results of the game on 01/10/11. The NCAA cannot afford to set this new precedent, and it knows it. It's only a matter of time...

How is the NCAA worse?

Try this- find out how many student athletes have been suspended/ ruled ineligible since 2000.

Then find out how many were from 1930-2000.

It's not even close, either.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom