So I guess Cam is just going to get away with it, then? (1 Viewer)

We are not talking about criminal acts or anything comparable.

It's illegal within the NCAA. Also, it's just to point out that it isn't inconceivable for someone to be punished even if their attempt to circumvent the rules/laws failed.

I mean a guy like Cecil Newton isn't even twice removed from some sort of privy to the bylaws between the NCAA and its member institutions.

Does he need a rulebook to tell him soliciting your son's amateur football career for money is against the rules? :idunno:

This loophole has ALWAYS been there. Albert Means was never declared ineligible after he was actually bought by bama. He finished his career at Memphis, and there was proof his coach sold him. This is nothing new.

It's illegal within the NCAA. Also, it's just to point out that it isn't inconceivable for someone to be punished even if their attempt to circumvent the rules/laws failed.

Does he need a rulebook to tell him soliciting your son's amateur football career for money is against the rules? :idunno:

That's just it, I thought the solicitation by his father is not against the rules?

This just opened Pandora's box. So as long as any athlete "doesn't know," there parents can shop them all they want. :rolleyes:

I think you can be assured this loophole will be closed with a clear and defining rule.

Well, it's not explicitly clear. I mean, most of us here are rational people. We know it was 100% wrong. We know it was intended to be against the rules, and that in reality it could have potentially been ruled that yes, this was indeed 100% against the rules as written, whether the son knew or not...but there's definitely some gray area there just in how the by-laws are worded. It's akin to getting acquitted in trial due to a technicality. Like I just said above, you can be sure the NCAA will close that loophole.

If Auburn had 2 losses on their record and wasn't the West representative in the game he would have been ruled ineligible weeks ago IMO.

That's just it, I thought the solicitation by his father is not against the rules?

From this article: http://blogs.mercurynews.com/colleg...aking-news-cam-newton-ruled-eligible-by-ncaa/

NCAA rules (Bylaw 12.3.3) do not allow individuals or entities to represent a prospective student-athlete for compensation to a school for an athletic scholarship.

While it doesn't say "money", I'm sure there is another bylaw that does.

Also, isn't that essentially what got Reggie in trouble?

It's illegal within the NCAA.

Uh, apparently its not.

The point is the onus is and should be on the institution in a case like this, the institution that is actually bound by the bylaws.

As far as a can of worms, there is just as much chance of abuse going the other way - in fact, I think much more so. You instantly create a market for rivals to find estranged parents and/or jealous siblings and send them to solicit funds.

Yeah those bylaws are real sketchy... Lawyers can swing that either way and if I was the NCAA I would leave this situation alone and clarify the future rules..

For instance... Does Scholarship equate to money; Does representation require consent by the party being represented; if it does require consent, how will/can you prove it? In my opinion these bylaws are murky at best.

From this article: http://blogs.mercurynews.com/colleg...aking-news-cam-newton-ruled-eligible-by-ncaa/

While it doesn't say "money", I'm sure there is another bylaw that does.

Also, isn't that essentially what got Reggie in trouble?

Reggie had a few issues.

12.3.3. would seem to absolutely mean no father and/or Rogers-like-player could do what they did. But there's a number of loopholes still...it's not nearly as cut and dry as the NCAA wants it to seem in that press release. They're essentially acknowledging that Cam should be ineligible, but are afraid to face the decision that stands with that statement. For as clear as it seems, plenty of arguments that no actual written by-laws were broken could be made.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D110.pdf

Also, if I was Cam I would make a replica of the Heisman just in case :)

Uh, apparently its not.

The NCAA said there were violations so rules were broken. Which rules? No idea.

As far as a can of worms, there is just as much chance of abuse going the other way - in fact, I think much more so. You instantly create a market for rivals to find estranged parents and/or jealous siblings and send them to solicit funds.

I think we may be onto something: The Program 2: Electric Boogaloo!

Again, Albert Means never missed a game after he was proven to be bought by alabama.

Reggie had a few issues.

12.3.3. would seem to absolutely mean no father and/or Rogers-like-player could do what they did. But there's a number of loopholes still...it's not nearly as cut and dry as the NCAA wants it to seem in that press release. They're essentially acknowledging that Cam should be ineligible, but are afraid to face the decision that stands with that statement. For as clear as it seems, plenty of arguments that no actual written by-laws were broken could be made.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D110.pdf

You'd think it'd be easy to write these rules. "Don't take nothin', won't be nothin'."

Again, Albert Means never missed a game after he was proven to be bought by alabama.

So what you're saying is if we retroactively deem him ineligible, you're okay with deeming Cam ineligible too? :ezbill:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom