So I guess Cam is just going to get away with it, then? (1 Viewer)

22 forever

Veteran
Reaction score
Either someone owes Smilin' Cam Newton a big apology, or he's just gonna get away with the whole thing and moonwalk across the stage to pick up the Heisman. No biggie.

The NCAA is a gutless, **** organization if they just leave everyone in limbo throughout the rest of this season. This is the first time that I can remember not wanting to be a fan of college ball anymore. :vomit:

Either they have enough preliminary evidence to step in, or they don't have any real evidence and they need to bow out. This 'ongoing' investigation crap is ********.

I will say that if they are LEGITIMATELY waiting for some definitive evidence that they think they will have here in the near future, then I hope they bomb Auburn back to the stone age in sanctions.

no doubt in my mind this guy was demanding money and we'll see auburn have to forfeit these wins

I noticed an article on Yahoo news saying the investigators are just about to interview Kenny Rogers about the sitution. All I could think was, "Really? It takes you this long to call in this guy?"
Seriously, they need a huge dose of "get on with it". Dig in, stop putting it off. Either nail him or exonerate him. Legitimize the season now - don't leave it in limbo. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Heisman votes are due this coming Monday. Can't you get off your rears and decide this before then so voters are not left to wonder whether a vote for him is a wasted effort for a cheater or a proper vote for an above board outstanding player?
Seriously henious how they are (NOT) handling the situation.

I think the biggest problem is that this news broke during the season, and so many people are aware of the details (including details of a possible greater investigation into the activities at AU), that it has started to feel tainted. Unfortunately for the NCAA (and maybe AU), this has also been tried in the court of public opinion, by the media, bloggers, et. al, before the investigation has been completed. If the NCAA does nothing, and it turns out that AU has/had major violations, enough people out there know this information that it would bring a serious hit to the legitimacy of College Football.

I think what people really want is expedient due process, not this molasses pace they seem to be undertaking. I know if I was an Auburn Fan, I would be really upset that this is hanging over probably the best season in team history with a special talent like Newton. I would want this decided as soon as possible.

If he and AU are scumbags, then nail em, but if they're innocent, they need to be cleared within an appropriate time frame, whether the FBI, CIA, NCIS or whoever is involved with this investigation.

This can only hurt college football.

kd

By the way, If I was an AU fan or student, and all of the allegations prove to be true, I can't describe the amount of ****** off I'd be. Especially after what appears to be a lot of duplicity on the part of the university administration and athletic department.

It also really bothers me that Cam himself has never addressed any of the allegations, and since this story broke has remained silent.

what a terrible situation for AU, the SEC, and College Football.

I noticed an article on Yahoo news saying the investigators are just about to interview Kenny Rogers about the sitution. All I could think was, "Really? It takes you this long to call in this guy?"
Seriously, they need a huge dose of "get on with it". Dig in, stop putting it off. Either nail him or exonerate him. Legitimize the season now - don't leave it in limbo. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Heisman votes are due this coming Monday. Can't you get off your rears and decide this before then so voters are not left to wonder whether a vote for him is a wasted effort for a cheater or a proper vote for an above board outstanding player?
Seriously henious how they are (NOT) handling the situation.[/QUOT

The NCAA has already met with Rogers, the two MSU boosters, the Newtons, MSU coaches, AU coaches and AD, and a someone on Saban's staff who was on MSU's athletic staff last year(very probable this guy was leaking lots if info). Rogers was meeting with the office of the Secretary of State for Mississippi yesterday. If the NCAA concludes Cam was eligible to play AT AUBURN this whole season, you and most of your fellow LSU, MSU, BAMA, etc fans would still think Auburn cheated anyway.

Did anybody else hear the Coach (cant remember his name)they had on SportsTalk on WWL yesterday talking about recuiting? They asked him about the Newton thing and he said something along the lines that he knows more about the case than most people and that the allegations were true.

NCAA rules Auburn's Cam Newton is eligible to compete (updated)

The NCAA has has ruled Auburn quarterback Cam Newton is eligible to compete after looking into his recruitment at Auburn and Mississippi State.

The NCAA's statement said:

"Auburn University football student-athlete Cam Newton is immediately eligible to compete, according to a decision today by the NCAA student-athlete reinstatement staff. The NCAA concluded on Monday that a violation of amateurism rules occurred, therefore Auburn University declared the student-athlete ineligible yesterday for violations of NCAA amateurism rules"

There are no penalties against Auburn or Newton, and no wins are in jeopardy.

Auburn has limited the athletic access to Newton's father, Cecil Newton. Mississippi State disassociated itself from former player Kenny Rogers, who, with Cecil Newton, tried to "actively market" Cam Newton to Mississippi State.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/12/ncaa_rules_auburns_cam_newton.html

Auburn quarterback Cam Newton is eligible to play in the SEC title game this weekend, even though the NCAA says his father broke rules by shopping his son to another school.

Hmmmm....so when can Reggie expect to receive his Heisman?

Man, there was a lot of poor English in that article. Have newspapers stopped employing editors?

OK then. I am satisfied that the NCAA has made a ruling on this and cleared the air. They even followed the letter of the law decaring him ineligible and then re-instating him. Well done.

I do hope there is a little more consequence levelled toward Cecil Newton than just "limiting his access" to the Sports facilities at Auburn. I think some sort of "example" type punishment is in order to discourage other parents from pulling this garbage in the future (not that it will end it, but it might keep some more of them honest).

And I agree with the above post: if Cam is free and clear of his parents' violations, so should Reggie be cleared using the same logic.

Weak. What happens to Cecil? Has a precedent been set? And what about...
The NCAA concluded on Monday that a violation of amateurism rules occurred, therefore Auburn University declared the student-athlete ineligible yesterday for violations of NCAA amateurism rules"
Only ineligible for one day? This seems strange to me.

Weak. What happens to Cecil? Has a precedent been set? And what about... Only ineligible for one day? This seems strange to me.

Not really, Auburn ruled him ineligible till the NCAA determined his eligibility. Happens all the time, albeit slower.

And I agree with the above post: if Cam is free and clear of his parents' violations, so should Reggie be cleared using the same logic.

There are many differences. The NCAA believes Cam was not involved in his father's dealings and no money ever changed hands. Reggie Bush was aware of the house his parents received and money most certainly changed hands. Reggie should have never given his Heisman back.

So, Reggie gets thrown under the bus, shunned from USC, and gives up his Heisman, while Cam gets away with it? Both situations involved family members conducting themselves improperly; why the huge difference in punishment? Oh yea, I know...they had already gotten everything out of Reggie that they could, but if Cam is disqualified now, they won't get the tv ratings out of him by playing in the SEC CG and possibly the NCG.

And while I agree that the situation with Reggie was more severe, the punishment level of each is way off...complete elimination of records, etc., vs. a slap on the wrist? Sorry, but Cam should have gotten more or Reggie should have gotten less. The wide variation in punishment just reeks of "tv ratings are more important", IMO.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom