So I had conversation with an Nfl official (1 Viewer)

NeverGiveUP2

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Went to high school with him and officiated high school sports with him

I ran into him Saturday. I assume it was his week off

I asked him to explain the call and what happened during the NFCCG

I have never seen him so animated and defensive. He started by saying that it was a bang bang play. I interrupted trying to say it was not and he got angry. Started sputtering about speaking to Rotart clubs and other groups about this. Made no sense at all. Then he started saying you don’t know how fast things are on the field. And then wanted to blame the NFL and how they are graded. I’ve never seen him like this. He refused to let me talk. Kept saying I needed to listen. I wound up walking away

His whole demeanor was defensive and almost confrontational. Sounded so defensive and rehearsed. I walked away thinking either the league has given them the talking points or the league officials have closed ranks

Smh.

It's okay for them to say "Yeah, our colleagues really got that one wrong. I can't even pretend to act like I understand how that felt to you as a fan. We've got to do better."

Went to high school with him and officiated high school sports with him

I ran into him Saturday. I assume it was his week off

I asked him to explain the call and what happened during the NFCCG

I have never seen him so animated and defensive. He started by saying that it was a bang bang play. I interrupted trying to say it was not and he got angry. Started sputtering about speaking to Rotart clubs and other groups about this. Made no sense at all. Then he started saying you don’t know how fast things are on the field. And then wanted to blame the NFL and how they are graded. I’ve never seen him like this. He refused to let me talk. Kept saying I needed to listen. I wound up walking away

His whole demeanor was defensive and almost confrontational. Sounded so defensive and rehearsed. I walked away thinking either the league has given them the talking points or the league officials have closed ranks

The reason he got so defensive is because he knows the fix was in and it's embarrassing to know that the general public know that your organization is crooked.

Never, you expected too much out of your old friend to expect him to be reasonable and capable of giving a honest, thorough analysis of NFL referee crews and how their mistakes have enormous consequences for results of NFL regular season or postseason games.

There’s no good argument for officiating to continue to be as bad as it is.

I’m inclined to think the game has become too fast and physical to rely on part time, generally older officials, current crew sizes, and resistance to more thoroughly incorporating technology into the process.

Hiring full time refs with more stringent physical requirements, perhaps adding additional sideline judges, and making use of enhanced camera placement and ever expanding technology could be steps toward improvement. Too much is at stake for the integrity of competition to so frequently and egregiously be compromised.

People don't like being accountable when they or others they view in their "tribe" do something wrong to folks outside of that sphere of influence. It happens in everything these days from politics, the policing of America, the NFL, you name it. Everyone has their echo chambers to reinforce their belief that they couldn't possibly be in the wrong. It's really depressing.

DavidM posted:
I’m inclined to think the game has become too fast and physical ...

Hiring full time refs with more stringent physical requirements, perhaps adding additional sideline judges, and making use of enhanced camera placement and ever expanding technology could be steps toward improvement.
I agree. The bolded will be most crucial — I’d go so far as to say the pro game should be primarily officiated by camera & replay.

The speed of the game has nothing to do with what happened today. Mike Pereira said the league instructs it’s officials to not blow the whistle in situations like today, and Walt Anderson blew the whistle anyway. He’s either incompetent or crooked, and since the league will not hold him accountable, there is no fixing what is obviously broken. It’s clear the league doesn’t think officiating is a problem.

The speed of the game has nothing to do with what happened today. Mike Pereira said the league instructs it’s officials to not blow the whistle in situations like today, and Walt Anderson blew the whistle anyway. He’s either incompetent or crooked, and since the league will not hold him accountable, there is no fixing what is obviously broken. It’s clear the league doesn’t think officiating is a problem.
Right on

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom