So I had conversation with an Nfl official (1 Viewer)

I don't know that it would collapse the NFL overnight. Serie A (Italy's major soccer league) and the NBA survived corruption scandals with refs.

That said, when people dismiss complaints as conspiracy theories, I tell them that international soccer and NBA basketball have both had documented cases of this happening in recent years.

With players, one can look in New Orleans' own sporting history to the implosion of Tulane's basketball program in the 80s when it came out players were being paid off.

“Yea but that’s New Orleans sports history”. Easy excuse for the trash.

How are they taking a beating, you arent going to stop sending money their way, and I doubt they care about the "whiny" criticism of Saints fans who talk a big game Monday, but cant stay away on Sunday. Nor do I think they are trifled by the media that will blast them today and have their back tomorrow.

I don’t know if there will be repercussions for the NFL at any time but I do think there’s more concern and backlash now, than at any other time I can remember. Prompted by player health issues, skyrocketing public funding obligations, social issues and unrest, and quality of officiating and greater awareness on controversial outcomes in a saturated media age.

Many of us who have invested years and passion into a team might find it difficult to walk away, but who knows what toll this might have on cultivating future generations of fans. It might not at all, but there are some real issues that could eventually be problematic for the league if they don’t soon find the leadership to actually embark on sustainable remedies.

I don’t know if there will be repercussions for the NFL at any time but I do think there’s more concern and backlash now, than at any other time I can remember. Prompted by player health issues, skyrocketing public funding obligations, social issues and unrest, and quality of officiating and greater awareness on controversial outcomes in a saturated media age.

Many of us who have invested years and passion into a team might find it difficult to walk away, but who knows what toll this might have on cultivating future generations of fans. It might not at all, but there are some real issues that could eventually be problematic for the league if they don’t soon find the leadership to actually embark on sustainable remedies.

David - Do you think there's a chance the NFL wants the Saints in another market and out of the small market area? I'm reaching now, but I am also seriously POed

this is the first time i herd of anyone saying that play was a "bang bang" play. It was a screwed up call that's on the refs and NFL pretty much.

What is the median age for NFL officials? So many of them look to be 55 or over. Maybe the game moves too fast for them?

Cam Jordan seems to think that might be the case. From his post-game interview: "People are in their prime when they're in their prime," he continued. "Sometimes they're not in their prime, but they were in their prime maybe a decade ago."

That's what gets me.

This is three (real) games in a row now.
NFCCG: The entire fourth quarter was a comedy of errors with blown calls, missed calls and phantom calls. THE call wasn't just one, but two egregious, hilariously bad calls at once. Missed PI, missed helmet-to-helmet.

Then, somehow, it gets worse.
Texans-time: Look fellas, you're the damn refs. If you're not enforcing the rules of NFL football, what the hell are we even doing here?
Rams: Same thing. This isn't a missed holding call or a bad spot, this is refusing to follow your own damn rules. If it's close, you let the play finish, then sort it out in replay.

It's like going to court and the judge says "Murder's not a crime, case dismissed."
Only there's no appeal.
In NFCCG, go back to Q1...helmet to helmet on Hill, Rams defender launched himself like a missle. No call. We are down a TE when already bereft of options. Changed the game there and then it only got worse.

I mean beyond the no call PI there was blantant hands to the head/face on Brees on the INT. Not called.

Again, we all have to question how it could be that bad to miss all these things. It makes no sense.

I would have asked him why wasn't hitting a defenseless receiver or helmet to helmet called or discussed among the refs. I believe the refs were not going to call anything under two minutes of the game no matter what.

I believe there is a push to get the Rams a Lombardy trophy in order to create a fan base(which clearly is not there), not just for their new stadium but for the massive tv market revenue. I just don’t see how this type of manipulation is good for such a competitive environment.
They sold a lot of season tickets and suites in the new $5 billion stadium (that was only supposed to cost $2 billion) after their "victory" in the NFCCG. Funny how that worked out, huh?

What is a 67 year old doing on a football field looking at some of the fastest athletes and fastest plays in the world unfold before their eyes. He should be on a golf course in Florida somewhere enjoying his retirement or spoiling his grand kids rather than drawing the ire of fans up and down the country every Sunday night.

Yeah, they're not taking a beating this season, but...people should remember that the most popular sports in America in the 1st half of the 20th century were baseball, boxing, and horse racing. Boxing and horse racing are now simply niche sports and baseball's popularity is a far cry from what it used to be (and I say this as someone who loves baseball). Football's reign will not last forever.

I believe there is a push to get the Rams a Lombardy trophy in order to create a fan base(which clearly is not there), not just for their new stadium but for the massive tv market revenue. I just don’t see how this type of manipulation is good for such a competitive environment.

I know there are some fans who are all-in on this theory but I just don’t see it.

It couldn’t be from Goodell acting unilaterally which means other owners would have to be in on it. Who? How? What about ones who don’t want to go along with it?

These are all ego-driven, successful people, many of whom haven’t seen their own teams win a championship. They’re going to manipulate against their own team’s good fortunes so LA can be handed a Lombardi and find instant success for more media money!? But wait, LA lucked into just such an opportunity and the mystery team owning schemers decided “nah, never mind, we’ll allow the Patriots to win their fifteenthish championship, or whatever, because that’s ultimately better for the league!” I can’t speak for others but next to crappy officiating, the Patriots unrelenting run of success in a perennially inept division is doing its own big part to drive my disinterest.

The league has some real problems and human frailty can invite bad stuff to happen, but these unfounded, unrealistic conspiracies about deep league plots to manipulate games, teams, and entire seasons are absurd.

Bang-Bang? Not !
The game doesn't seem that fast when the saints aren't playing. See vikes pi challenge last week vs atlanta. If the ot rule change wasn't enough of a hint for ya it should have been. A lot of jealous whiners DID NOT like seeing us in the big game and that hasn't changed.

Went to high school with him and officiated high school sports with him

I ran into him Saturday. I assume it was his week off

I asked him to explain the call and what happened during the NFCCG

I have never seen him so animated and defensive. He started by saying that it was a bang bang play. I interrupted trying to say it was not and he got angry. Started sputtering about speaking to Rotart clubs and other groups about this. Made no sense at all. Then he started saying you don’t know how fast things are on the field. And then wanted to blame the NFL and how they are graded. I’ve never seen him like this. He refused to let me talk. Kept saying I needed to listen. I wound up walking away

His whole demeanor was defensive and almost confrontational. Sounded so defensive and rehearsed. I walked away thinking either the league has given them the talking points or the league officials have closed ranks
Next time you see him kick him in the balls.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom