So..I had to take a language.. (2 Viewers)

Reaction score
Sure, common sense says take Spanish, but I'm an artist so I often run away from common sense and took French. I really just enjoy the sound of it much better than Spanish, useless probably unless I move to France or Quebec. My question is has anyone else done so, if so do you recommend any programs or learning sites of note?

When you see the guy to girl ratio of your French class you'll be glad you took it. Spanish is overrated, especially if your career prospects don't involve farming or construction.

I've been dabling in Czech and I like it. I want to get back into Italian. Not only because of my gf, but learning a language like Italian can help in many languages due to the Latin ties.

There is a lot of free stuff on the web, so you really shouldn't have to buy anything. The BBC has some language programs. I am sure there is some sort of international French group that promotes the language (Germany has one and they have some excellent stuff out there for free).
If you want to spend money, then the Pimsleur stuff is probably the best. It is expensive though, but you really do start speaking quickly.

The State of Louisiana has its own department for French speaking. Their website includes a forum, scholarships, events, everything going on in Louisiana to promote the use of the French language.

CODOFIL - Council for the Development of French in Louisiana
http://www.codofil.org/

It's your choice, but I think Spanish could of been the way to go.

If you plan on living in the US, then it's going to be highly important. Their's reports (learned in school), that by the year 2010 and beyond and the latest 2020 or even earlier, Hispanics will just about be everywhere in every corner. They are also having heavy influence everywhere as we speak.

And also, farming and construction isn't the ONLY business that needs the Spanish language (someone must be misinformed). Spanish speakers are needed in about everywhere now-a-days ranging from Retailing, to Education, and the money-makers business/marketing. I'm taking Marketing (pay is great) in college and I'm Hispanic, and I see PLENTY of jobs that are looking for bilingual speakers or people who somewhat knows how to speak it...there is a high demand for it.

Last edited:
You could also try dabbling in English. :9:

:ezbill:

Well that's obvious. :covri:

Unfortunately, for me, it's a bit harder to translate the latin part from English. I mean, if you know Italian, you can understand Spanish to an extent. Sure, same goes for English, but the words souns much more the same in Italian/Spanish.

If you plan on living in the US, then it's going to be highly important. Their's reports (learned in school), that by the year 2010 and beyond and the latest 2020 or even earlier, Hispanics will just about be everywhere in every corner. They are also having heavy influence everywhere as we speak.

And also, farming and construction isn't the ONLY business that needs the Spanish language (someone must be informed). Spanish speakers are needed in about everywhere now-a-days ranging from Retailing, to Education, and the money-makers business/marketing. I'm taking Marketing (pay is great) in college and I'm Hispanic, and I see PLENTY of jobs that are looking for bilingual speakers or people who somewhat knows how to speak it...there is a BIG need for it.

So your solution is to tell Americans to learn Spanish rather than have the illegals learn English?

Last edited:

And also, farming and construction isn't the ONLY business that needs the Spanish language (someone must be misinformed). Spanish speakers are needed in about everywhere now-a-days ranging from Retailing, to Education, and the money-makers business/marketing. I'm taking Marketing (pay is great) in college and I'm Hispanic, and I see PLENTY of jobs that are looking for bilingual speakers or people who somewhat knows how to speak it...there is a high demand for it.

Yeah, mostly call centers and other scrub jobs. Oh and hospitals and doc offices, as they have a sudden need for them. It is seeping into other job markets too though, your right.

Anyway, I wouldnt have taken Spanish either, it does nothing for me. I took German in middle school, and enjoyed that, ive also been checking into some native American languages, interesting stuff. Id love to learn Chinese and Japanese too.

So your solution is to tell Americans to learn Spanish rather than have the illegals learn English?

What I stated above, is my opinion....

On picking a language, that is in high demand in the business world and other occupations as well. It's also becoming important cause their so many Hispanics that are actually citizens in this country, and not just ILLEGALS.

Illegals have the choice or not to learn English (isn't this a free country?). But they know, in the long run that it's probably best for them.

You'll find that the U.S. government's official websites are increasingly offering their content in Spanish and English. There's a high demand for web content type folks who are bilingual.

What I stated above, is my opinion....

On picking a language, that is in high demand in the business world and other occupations as well. It's also becoming important cause their so many Hispanics that are actually citizens in this country, and not just ILLEGALS.

Illegals have the choice or not to learn English (isn't this a free country?). But they know, in the long run that it's probably best for them.

I singled out illegals because part of the citizenship process is to learn English so those in the citizenship process would likely be learning English at some point. And no, its not a free country for illegals or at least its not supposed to be. Thus the term ILLEGAL.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom