So if we are 9-6 and Atlanta is 10-5, the Week 17 game is for the division right? (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
With the defense playing the way that is has been playing, I believe it can be done.

This won't happen but I believe it then goes to division records.

I think common opponents come into play if conference and division are tied.

Looks like that might be true....

Two Clubs Tied
  1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  5. Strength of victory.
  6. Strength of schedule.
  7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  9. Best net points in common games.
  10. Best net points in all games.
  11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
  12. Coin toss

Currently
Falcons 3-1 in Division 4-3 in Conference
Saints 1-2 in Division 3-3 in Conference

If we win the next 5 we will be
3-2 in Division and 8-3 in Conference

If Falcons go 4-1 at worst they would be
4-1 in Division and 8-3 in Conference

Projected Non-Common Games
Saints: 1-1 Giants L, Lions W
Falcons: 1-1 Packers W, Falcons L

We would win tie-breaker on conference record.

What I think is much more likely is a 8-7 Saints team playing a 9-6 Falcons team for the division. I assume the tiebreaker would most likely work out the same way.

division record is 2nd tie breaker, both would have two losses within the division if both teams win the remaining division games and the saints beat the falcons in week 17

so it comes down to common games

so far (assuming both end up 4-2 in the division and excluding those games because its a wash)

saints 3-3 (4 afc games plus 4 nfc west)
falcons 2-2

we still have to play arizona and LA while atlanta plays arizona, LA, KC and SF

saints would be 1-3 against the afc vs 2-2 for atlanta, so by simple math that would mean the saints have a better conference record if we can tie the common opponents tiebreaker

the OP projects we win the next 5 in this scenario, so that in turn means we are 5-3 against common opponents

the OP projects Atlanta loses one more, it cant be a division game because then they lose that tie breaker, so by process of elimination it would have to be a loss to one of the remaining common opponents, giving them a 5-3 record

so the answer is YES, the saints would be playing for the division if they win out and atlanta loses one of its next 5 (which is obviously very likely) due to the conference record tie breaker

thanks for reading

I hate to even bring this up but the other two teams in the division might be in the tie breaker mix. Still a long way to go. We definitely need to sweep remaining division games but if we do theres still a lot of possibilities if Carolina gets hot.

For the heck of it. Will someone ship me one of the new xbox one's if the Saints win out and win the division? Would that be worth it? :hihi:

Look at the standings, we're done.

Every team in the NFC East has a better record than we do.

Another interesting path to 7-9...

If we play every team like the last two games on defense.. get rid of ST blocked kicks for scores.

there is a chance to win out.

I hate to even bring this up but the other two teams in the division might be in the tie breaker mix. Still a long way to go. We definitely need to sweep remaining division games but if we do theres still a lot of possibilities if Carolina gets hot.

In order for us to win the next 6 we need to beat the Bucs twice so that puts the Falcons and us both ahead of them.

The Panthers could conceivably also go 6-0 giving the Falcons the 1 loss instead of the Chiefs (which otherwise would make are toughest tiebreaker with the Falcons).

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

If we go 6-0 and the Panthers go 6-0 and the Falcons go 4-2 with those 2 loses. All 3 are tied at...10-6

3 - Way Tie breakers
1. Head To Head: We all split with each other so 2-2 each
2. Division Record: Falcons 3-3, Panthers 3-3, Saints 4-2

So we would get the top spot in a 3-Way.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom