So is the Devery Henderson era over? (2 Viewers)

I don't want to bash Henderson. He's done a fair job here, but do you understand what you are saying here? This is a man who, in nine seasons, had a grand total of 20 receiving touchdowns among his 245 catches. That's barely more than two TDs out of an average of 27 catches per year. For a while, he was the Saints' deep threat because he had tons of speed, but I recall he dropped a BUNCH of passes even in his best years. His high in catches was 2009, when he had 51 catches for 804 yards. In those 51 receptions, he had a whopping two touchdowns. Yep. Two.

To say that about Henderson when Colston has been playing on the same team since 2006 and has 532 catches in those seven years--two less than Henderson's nine--is absurd. As I say, I'm not bashing the man; I am just looking at the facts. What Henderson has that Colston doesn't is a collegiate career at LSU. So please admit this is the switch that flips your excitement on. Because any statement that Henderson is the best WR in Saints history makes you look foolish. Oh, and the touchdown receptions? Colston owns the Saints' record for that with 58, or over nine per year average. That's a bit more than Henderson's 20 and barely two.

So, please, don't make childish statements such as this one. I read that and could hear Chad Johnson/Ochocinco going, "Child, please!" Even Abramowicz did better in his career 111 games (to Henderson's 124).

Read my post above, and you'll see why...

Well, that's not what he said. He didn't say Devery was the best; he said Devery was ONE of the best. Which I think you can say that he currently is. Obviously, Colston, Horn, Martin, Abramowicz, (and probably Lance Moore, by the time he's done) is a better receiver than Devery. However, as it stands, Devery's 5th all-time for receiving yards by a Saint, and that's not an accident. Yes, he's been around for almost a decade, but sometimes endurance and longevity can be part of greatness, too. Also, you're not being entirely fair to Devery. He's been with the team for 9 years, but his rookie year he didn't accumulate a single stat (like Meach). It skews your averages a little bit.

And, yes, sentimentality is part of it. I'm sure a lot of people like him because he's from Lafayette and went to LSU (and was a part of the Bluegrass Miracle), but I'm from Mississippi and I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Ole Miss fan, and I still love the guy. I used to think he sucked, but since 2006, he's been an integral part of the Payton-era offense. He's a Saint institution.

Do I think it's his time to go? Yes, probably. He's not effective enough for the vet minimum and a roster spot, if I was being honest. But there's no use trashing him before we release him. It's not like he's on some sort of monster contract that's screwing up our cap situation. It's like he's using his influence or legacy to be a harmful distraction, like Favre (not that he could). I really wish him in the next phase of his life, especially if it has something to do with football or New Orleans (even LSU).

I don't want to bash Henderson. He's done a fair job here, but do you understand what you are saying here? This is a man who, in nine seasons, had a grand total of 20 receiving touchdowns among his 245 catches. That's barely more than two TDs out of an average of 27 catches per year. For a while, he was the Saints' deep threat because he had tons of speed, but I recall he dropped a BUNCH of passes even in his best years. His high in catches was 2009, when he had 51 catches for 804 yards. In those 51 receptions, he had a whopping two touchdowns. Yep. Two.

To say that about Henderson when Colston has been playing on the same team since 2006 and has 532 catches in those seven years--two less than Henderson's nine--is absurd. As I say, I'm not bashing the man; I am just looking at the facts. What Henderson has that Colston doesn't is a collegiate career at LSU. So please admit this is the switch that flips your excitement on. Because any statement that Henderson is the best WR in Saints history makes you look foolish. Oh, and the touchdown receptions? Colston owns the Saints' record for that with 58, or over nine per year average. That's a bit more than Henderson's 20 and barely two.

So, please, don't make childish statements such as this one. I read that and could hear Chad Johnson/Ochocinco going, "Child, please!" Even Abramowicz did better in his career 111 games (to Henderson's 124).

Maybe u need to re-read what I wrote. I never said he was better than colston. I never said he was the best

But if you can only look at colstons stats and ignore what devery has done thats about as ignorant as it gets

Henderson is a true saint. He's one of the few guys that has lasted from our god awful teams before Payton and Brees got here. He's been a starter almost every game and he's done so much as far as spreading the field goes

His numbers arent hall of fame worthy but what he was able to do without touching the ball is just as valuable sometimes. His ability to take the top off of defenses is 2nd to none in saints history and it often times allowed other guys to get open underneath.

That's without even mentioning his presence in our running game....

What devery has done in New Orleans is amazing. I'd hope that any of our WRs have 2/3s the career devery has had

Well, that's not what he said. He didn't say Devery was the best; he said Devery was ONE of the best. Which I think you can say that he currently is. Obviously, Colston, Horn, Martin, Abramowicz, (and probably Lance Moore, by the time he's done) is a better receiver than Devery. However, as it stands, Devery's 5th all-time for receiving yards by a Saint, and that's not an accident. Yes, he's been around for almost a decade, but sometimes endurance and longevity can be part of greatness, too. Also, you're not being entirely fair to Devery. He's been with the team for 9 years, but his rookie year he didn't accumulate a single stat (like Meach). It skews your averages a little bit.

And, yes, sentimentality is part of it. I'm sure a lot of people like him because he's from Lafayette and went to LSU (and was a part of the Bluegrass Miracle), but I'm from Mississippi and I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Ole Miss fan, and I still love the guy. I used to think he sucked, but since 2006, he's been an integral part of the Payton-era offense. He's a Saint institution.

Do I think it's his time to go? Yes, probably. He's not effective enough for the vet minimum and a roster spot, if I was being honest. But there's no use trashing him before we release him. It's not like he's on some sort of monster contract that's screwing up our cap situation. It's like he's using his influence or legacy to be a harmful distraction, like Favre (not that he could). I really wish him in the next phase of his life, especially if it has something to do with football or New Orleans (even LSU).
Quinn early. Michael Haynes. Devery is a smart player who managed to stick around. Considering his understanding of the playbook, I actually expect him to be back and possibly even start. Guys like Toon and even Morgan could use that cushion of another year to catch up to Bree,s.

Note to anyone that may want to read it. Learning the saints playbook isn't the hard part..... Payton can call a play and a young guy can be fine. But once Breeds says " kill kill kill" most young guys (Morgan, ivory, Menachem, etcetcetc) are lost. Right now we have three guys that can hang with brees (at wr). Devery is one of them. I have my complaints about theguy. But honestly Roby is probably the only guy who could possibly be versed in the offense to the point that they could get devs spot.

I expect devery to at least be in camp. I wouldn't call him great on any level. But I honestly would not sell him short either.

It's amazing how many General Managers we have on this board. Devery has been with us for a decade, and healthy for about 95% of the time...amazing. You people who are crying for him to be released, and say he has been done for a while are obviously only looking at receiving stats and know very little about offensive schemes, or probably football in general. Where's your loyalty? I hope he sticks around. I've known him personally for most of my life, and trust me, he's one of the most genuine "team" guys you can ask for, and not to mention a vital part of this team becoming great
:potd: :plus-un2:

The business is what it is; Loomis has to make the best business decision.

But the sentimental fan in me hopes the organization does everything it can to bring Devery back. I'll never forget his sliding TD catch in that heartbreaker against ATL in the Alamodome back in 2005.

I am only vaguely aware of college football, so I could not care less what school a player comes from. Never saw Devery play in college.

For the Saints Devery Henderson was a playmaker who's catches could and did change the tempo of a game. His deep threat (he kept a high ypc average) was serious enough that he opened the game underneath. His blocking is not bad for a wide receiver. What's to diss about that carreer. He was ONE of the best Saint wide receivers of his era. Absolutely a team player.

His college is irrelevant to an honest evaluation of his contribution to the Saints. I'm a fan of Devery Henderson.

That said, he was a deep threat team player with decent blocking skills. He no longer has the speed for deep threat, never had fantastic hands that could compensate for slowing down. We only have so much space on the roster and a younger cheaper player can fill his role. Keeping him for sentiment is silly.

Kris

love the tampa 2 bucs kryptonite....
he almost always had great games against them.
devery was probably the biggest reason, meachem hit the road... having him in that hip pocket, when meachem ran a route, and blew a big play, devery came in next play ran the same route. touchdown..
the stars on this team, is who payton decides to let the spotlight shine on....

Maybe u need to re-read what I wrote. I never said he was better than colston. I never said he was the best

But if you can only look at colstons stats and ignore what devery has done thats about as ignorant as it gets

Henderson is a true saint. He's one of the few guys that has lasted from our god awful teams before Payton and Brees got here. He's been a starter almost every game and he's done so much as far as spreading the field goes

His numbers arent hall of fame worthy but what he was able to do without touching the ball is just as valuable sometimes. His ability to take the top off of defenses is 2nd to none in saints history and it often times allowed other guys to get open underneath.

That's without even mentioning his presence in our running game....

What devery has done in New Orleans is amazing. I'd hope that any of our WRs have 2/3s the career devery has had

Not only is this 100% true, but he's been a good guy. A good Saint.

The NFL is made up of 32 teams each with close to 60 guys plus all the guys out there hoping to get picked up. Any given year, 2000 or more guys play for an NFL team. 95% of them are role players. Very few of them are stars.

Almost none of them play for 9 years. Almost none of them win Superbowls. Almost none of them miss 3 or 4 games out of 8 or 9 seasons and almost none of them play their entire career within an hour of their college.

Devery will never be Jerry Rice, but who is? He's been a great member of the team and all this bashing nonsense is just distasteful. It's as if some of you are acting like he burned bunnies.

Not only is this 100% true, but he's been a good guy. A good Saint.

The NFL is made up of 32 teams each with close to 60 guys plus all the guys out there hoping to get picked up. Any given year, 2000 or more guys play for an NFL team. 95% of them are role players. Very few of them are stars.

Almost none of them play for 9 years. Almost none of them win Superbowls. Almost none of them miss 3 or 4 games out of 8 or 9 seasons and almost none of them play their entire career within an hour of their college.

Devery will never be Jerry Rice, but who is? He's been a great member of the team and all this bashing nonsense is just distasteful. It's as if some of you are acting like he burned bunnies.

I was going to post something just like this but there is no way I could have put it more eloquently than you did. I mean, how often do you see an average/role player type guy stick with the same team for almost a decade these days? It's unheard of. Usually guys like that try to leave to become a star elsewhere or the team eventually tries to upgrade their spot with a younger player much sooner after it becomes apparent that they won't evolve into a big time player.

Devery stunned me when he re-signed for four years back in 2009; he very well could have left to try to become a star elsewhere, but chose to stay, and at a fairly cheap dollar rate. That's loyalty. I will never bash Devery. He was underappreciated, a hell of a run blocker, and made several clutch catches for us over the years, and for his hometown squad(s) - not just with the Saints, but also at LSU.

And not only is he a loyal player, but you also never heard a peep from him - no arrests, no suspensions, no bone headed penalties, no complaints about his role....NOTHING; He just brought his lunchpail to work every day and did his thing.

And not only is he a loyal player, but you also never heard a peep from him - no arrests, no suspensions, no bone headed penalties, no complaints about his role....NOTHING; He just brought his lunchpail to work every day and did his thing.

There is so much hot air on this board sometimes.

"He's a Payton player"
He's a team player.
He's not selfish...

On and on and on and then you get a thread like this where the mention of a 10yr vet who's been all of the things Saints fans seem to celebrate gets brought up and it's as if he's some sort of pariah.

Sad.

:nopityA::nopityA::nopityA::nopityA:

Why even make this thread in the first place when it was obvious a long time ago that he wasn't going to be brought back because of cap space and his age. Its as if you wanted to see him get bashed and then bash the person thats doing the bashing but won't admit that you baited them into doing so. People will have their opinions about Henderson and that's all it is, just opinions. Nothing you can do about it. If it was more than for just football reasons, then I could understand. Its really silly people are taking all of this so personal and giving long drawn out posts as if somebody just died or Henderson actually being one of your blood family relatives

Sorry, but that many catches and that many TD's in nine seasons does not equal "one of the best Saints WRs ever." I stand by the stats. Love him if you want to, but I think he's been around for two seasons too long.

I'm glad he played for the Saints, but he was never as good as he could have been. I mean, come on! TWENTY touchdowns in NINE seasons???!!! With his speed, he should have averaged 10 or 11 per season.

Never mind. You guys crack me up. Someone mentioned the offensive scheme as if it was a reason he didn't have that many TDs, etc. Really? The fastest WR on the team is being schemed NOT to catch the long balls? Then why was he out there???

Sheesh.....

Devery is a speed guy who got old. He has had a better career than many speedy receivers, but he is definitely past his prime. He is probably worth a minimum contract and the chance to compete in camp, but we will see if another team offers more. If nobody signs him, he can get the first call if Toon, Moore, etc goes down. He is still probably better than Arrington.

If we've learned one thing from Payton, the five or six WRs with the best chance to help the team win will be on the 53-man roster in week one.

You have to assume that Colston and Moore are the two starters, but after that, let the best men win.

You also have to assume that if they definitely weren't going to bring Devery back, he would have gotten the early word, so it could be done in the dignity of the off-season, like they've done with other great guys like Wille Whitehead, Beerman, and Deuce, where they let them go on a very nice, dignified note, and they're free to try to catch on elsewhere if they can. Since that hasn't happened, I can only assume that Devery is still in the mix.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom