So, Just How Bad Is It in Iraq? as per Christian Science Monitor (1 Viewer)

Re: Only one region
I know this is only about one region of Iraq, but it's a significant region, and we can't claim
"victory" if there are still areas like this one that are clearly in a state of relative anarchy, and we're well into the "surge is working" charade.

Of course the surge is (appears to be) working. The entire reason the focus is now shifting to Mosul is other areas have calmed down security-wise considerably, freeing up troops and resources to try cleaning out Mosul.

jeans, getting on a reconciliatory note, I know you are a Democrat and a Obama supporter, what do you think he will do if he is elected and has to face this problem of getting our troops home. And if its okay to ask what do you think of the comments made by Jenanne Ganaldo the other day about Obama and well what she said?

I want to come clean and apologize for my harsh tone in the beginning of this thread, I did not mean to come across that way. You answered the questions the right way and with intelligible answers.

thank you

They did talk with members of the military and those quotes are in there. It's actually a pretty good article. Did you read it?

It's not exactly what Mr. Littlejeans' partisan rhetoric presented it to be.

Whoa there Buddy!! Partisan rhetoric? No partisanship here, I voted twice for Bobby Jindal,amongst other republicans, democrats and independents over the course of my life, and if the Republicans would've nominated someone with more integrity, like Colin Powell, there's a good chance I'd vote for him for Prez.

I have many reasons to object to the war, but all I'm expressing here is the sheer ridiculousness of what we're trying to do. I agree, it is possible to do. But at ANY PRICE?? What I don't agree with is the money, time and American lives that will be sacrificed, none of which we can afford, and all of which could be used in ways that would MUCH more benefit americans and their security.We keep telling ourselves to live within our means in our personal finances, but as a country we go off on an expensive wild goose chase while our real enemies are in Pakistan and Afghanistan,

Whoa there Buddy!! Partisan rhetoric? No partisanship here, I voted twice for Bobby Jindal,amongst other republicans, democrats and independents over the course of my life, and if the Republicans would've nominated someone with more integrity, like Colin Powell, there's a good chance I'd vote for him for Prez.

Partisanship doesn't strictly have to do with "Republican" or "Democrat". Being "Partisan" can refer to any issue that has sharply divided factions, including the Iraq War.

jeans, getting on a reconciliatory note, I know you are a Democrat and a Obama supporter, what do you think he will do if he is elected and has to face this problem of getting our troops home. And if its okay to ask what do you think of the comments made by Jenanne Ganaldo the other day about Obama and well what she said?

I want to come clean and apologize for my harsh tone in the beginning of this thread, I did not mean to come across that way. You answered the questions the right way and with intelligible answers.

thank you

No prob Saintman

As far as democrat, I actually switched from Independent to Dem just to vote in the primary for Obama, and will switch back to Independent SOON. I am no dyed in the wool democrat, although I lean liberal.

What will Obama do? He will listen to his advisers. And MOST importantly his advisers are more likely than not to be more objective than partisan, and not have an agenda driving their advice. He's done a good job of not pandering to anyone or any bloc, he's raised his money from grass roots people who feel neglected and ignored by their parties. I'm not so impressed with what HE will do, as what he will ALLOW his staff to do. The best managers are great delegaters, not micro-managers.

Ferraro is an idiot.

Partisanship doesn't strictly have to do with "Republican" or "Democrat". Being "Partisan" can refer to any issue that has sharply divided factions, including the Iraq War.

No, I can't say that I agree here either. I'm vehemently against the occupation/war for specific reasons which have nothing really whatsoever to do with some canned, preconceived ideology. As I understand it, partisanship is a dedication to a political party or an ideology without taking into consideration each issue. :shrug:

I haven't read the article yet, but if it's coming from an anti-war perspective it probably focuses on the negative when it's clear that yes, there is a lot of good--and have been a lot of good things happening in Iraq.

I'll read the article and weigh in on it, but everybody here pretty much knows that I support bringing each and every soldier home from Iraq. No bases, no imprint, no nothing. I'm done with it. It's not going to happen, but I think it should happen. :shrug:

Spam-
Any objective observer, who looked at the U.S. economy, the state of our social security and medicare systems, our foreign debt, our crumbling infrastructure, and also looked at the absolute monstrous difficulty and cost in blood and money of trying to rebuild and reshape Iraq, AND , to boot, the flimsy evidence that Iraq was where we needed to focus the bulk of our "war on terror".......Can any truly objective observer agree this makes ANY kind of sense?? THIS is where our tax dollars should be going? It boggles the mind, and not just the partisan mind.....

>>:hihi: I think it's awesome when act exactly like what you claim to despise. That's the sort of empty partisan sarcasm i'd expect to see from the "you hate America' crowd ;):9:

But I talk to people, listen to am radio and know people serving over there. We're only getting half the story. They need to quit reporting American casualties because it's not important that our sons and daughters are giving their lives and blood to Islamic soil. Seriously Spam, as smart as you are, surely you realize that the media is only giving you one side. They want the gloom and doom because people pay attention. There's not much coverage in a marine giving a Snickers Bar to Hassan Jr. or an Air Force Woman filling a pothole. Surely you know that's the real story that isn't reaching America even though it should.

TPS

Honestly, I read the piece and I came away from it that at least in THAT part of Iraq, things maybe going well, but there's a sense that it's all being held together by bailing wire and twine.

It really brought out how complicated Iraqi internal politics is, and how American soldiers are being forced to be both the protection, and diplomats in this "shuttle diplomacy." Again, what's the big picture.

I think this snapshot of Iraq maybe doesn't reveal the big picture completely, but I think it underscores the precarious state of Iraq, and how fragile the peace is--and the 64 thousand dollar question is, can the peace be sustained long enough for Iraq to get its **** together. I'm not holding my breath.

Furthermore, how long will the United States have to be in Iraq to the tune of 140,000 troops to make sure the place doesn't collapse into absolute chaos?

Last edited:
No, I can't say that I agree here either. I'm vehemently against the occupation/war for specific reasons which have nothing really whatsoever to do with some canned, preconceived ideology. As I understand it, partisanship is a dedication to a political party or an ideology without taking into consideration each issue. :shrug:

http://www.wordcentral.com/cgi-bin/student?partisan
1 : a person who is strongly devoted to a particular cause or group

RebSaint said:
I haven't read the article yet, but if it's coming from an anti-war perspective it probably focuses on the negative when it's clear that yes, there is a lot of good--and have been a lot of good things happening in Iraq.

RebSaint said:
Honestly, I read the piece and I came away from it that at least in THAT part of Iraq, things maybe going well,

Which is what I said. You read the opening post and assume it's some anti-war article. It's not. It's an informative article on whats going on in the hot spot of Iraq right now, Mosul. There's reason for concern, and reason for optimism, and it's fairly neutral (I felt) and solid journalism. I actually enjoyed it (which is why I read it all the way through. 60% of the articles on this forum I stop after 2 paragraphs or so :hihi: )

>>:hihi: I think it's awesome when act exactly like what you claim to despise. That's the sort of empty partisan sarcasm i'd expect to see from the "you hate America' crowd ;):9:

But I talk to people, listen to am radio and know people serving over there. We're only getting half the story. They need to quit reporting American casualties because it's not important that our sons and daughters are giving their lives and blood to Islamic soil. Seriously Spam, as smart as you are, surely you realize that the media is only giving you one side. They want the gloom and doom because people pay attention. There's not much coverage in a marine giving a Snickers Bar to Hassan Jr. or an Air Force Woman filling a pothole. Surely you know that's the real story that isn't reaching America even though it should.

TPS

Who are you trying to be obnoxious too, and why?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom