So, Malcom Jenkins is not in the Draft? (1 Viewer)

I agree and you can't blame them for that. It's good to see some of these guys are sticking around and enjoying college.

I don't know about anyone else, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if a guy like Golston fell to us at #10. We could use someone who can get after the QB off the edge.
Of course, I would be more than happy if Dorsey fell to #10.

I'm not all that high on Phillips at #10, nor the CB from Kan.

Baltimore will not take Dorsey. They have no need for him. They are more likely to take a QB or trade down and take a cornerback.

Also, Aqib Talib and Mike Jenkins would both be reaches at this point. Jenkins is a top 20 pick, but not a top 10. Talib, to me, is a late first rounder. That's speaking value, not necessarily where they will go.

It looks like getting up to the #8 pick might be wise for the Saints. The best case scenario is if we stay at #10 and a guy like Ellis or Phillips is still there.

You never know who's going to go where, until the draft actually takes place.

I'm not a big fan of Mike Jenkins, but Aqib Talib is the best CB in this draft (even before Malcolm Jenkins said he was staying in school).

I disagree. Both were already tapped to be top 15, possibly top 10 picks. I think the reason is these guys were left with a sour taste in their mouths after losing to LSU and want one more shot at winning a National Championship.

Yeah I completely agree. I think these guys would for sure be gone had it not been that they got the beat down for the 2nd year in a row in the title game. I don't think we should push the panic button yet at all. If anything this may give us ammunition to trade down with one of those teams that needs Offsensive help. I'd gladly move down in the draft and take 2 defensive players in the 1st round.

You never know who's going to go where, until the draft actually takes place.

I'm not a big fan of Mike Jenkins, but Aqib Talib is the best CB in this draft (even before Malcolm Jenkins said he was staying in school).

That's true but if we are looking at things realistically, Baltimore is not likely to take Dorsey because they have no need for him in the 3-4 defense that they run. He would be forced to play end, which would take away from his effectiveness.

Also, Talib is solid but not spectacular. He has some good games but he also has had some lousy games. Jordy Nelson lit him up when they went head-to-head. Also, he has some questions about this speed and will have to prove that he's faster than what scouts believe him to be. I do not believe that there is an elite, can't-miss CB in this draft. There are several guys I like who I believe can be productive players, heck even probowl players in the right system with the right development. But there is no CB that just "wows" you in this draft. Two guys to keep an eye on are Leodis McKelvin and Dominque Rogers-Cromartie. I think Mike Jenkins is an excellent cover corner, but he must become a more aggressive tackler and run defender if he is to develop into being a complete, all-around CB.

I disagree. Both were already tapped to be top 15, possibly top 10 picks. I think the reason is these guys were left with a sour taste in their mouths after losing to LSU and want one more shot at winning a National Championship.

According to the mock drafts and draft "experts" yes they were. But, neither of us knows what real NFL personnel people think that this point. It could in part be that they felt they had unfinished business, but not many guys turn down top 10 pick money to go back. It could happen, but my guess is that they had information that they would likely not go in the top 10.

That's true but if we are looking at things realistically, Baltimore is not likely to take Dorsey because they have no need for him in the 3-4 defense that they run. He would be forced to play end, which would take away from his effectiveness.

Also, Talib is solid but not spectacular. He has some good games but he also has had some lousy games. Jordy Nelson lit him up when they went head-to-head. Also, he has some questions about this speed and will have to prove that he's faster than what scouts believe him to be. I do not believe that there is an elite, can't-miss CB in this draft. There are several guys I like who I believe can be productive players, heck even probowl players in the right system with the right development. But there is no CB that just "wows" you in this draft. Two guys to keep an eye on are Leodis McKelvin and Dominque Rogers-Cromartie. I think Mike Jenkins is an excellent cover corner, but he must become a more aggressive tackler and run defender if he is to develop into being a complete, all-around CB.

I think you're correct, and this is why I hope that we wait until the 2nd round to get a young CB. We need to get a starter in FA and then add another through the draft, which would give us the FA Starter, McKenzie, Young, David, and possibly another FA addition.

Because of the lack of top-10 CB talent, I hope we go DT or LB. I'm personally hoping for the Rivers guy from USC. Is he considered top-15 material?

I think when the combine rolls around that the Cason kid stock will rise.He may be the #1 CB in the draft.

Yeah, I don't know how he will time or where he will end up going, but of all the CB's I've seen this year in college ball, he is the best. He's got great ball skills.

I think when the combine rolls around that the Cason kid stock will rise.He may be the #1 CB in the draft.

Cason has been an outstanding cover corner at the college level. But I think the concerns over his speed are real and that will lower his stock. If he can time out well, it could catapult him to the top.

Hey, Widge, I certainly see your point. But Jenkins and Laurinaitis would not be the first two guys who had high grades and decided to go back for their senior season. Think Peyton Manning, Ricky Williams, Matt Leinart, Glenn Dorsey, etc.

I think you're correct, and this is why I hope that we wait until the 2nd round to get a young CB. We need to get a starter in FA and then add another through the draft, which would give us the FA Starter, McKenzie, Young, David, and possibly another FA addition.

Because of the lack of top-10 CB talent, I hope we go DT or LB. I'm personally hoping for the Rivers guy from USC. Is he considered top-15 material?

Rivers is a top 15 talent. He's a big, rangy guy with excellent speed and playmaking ability. He's a sure tackler, although he sometimes is overly-aggressive and gets himself out of position. But when he's focused--and that's most of the time--he's an impact player on defense. He plays on the outside, which means we would still ahve to address the MLB position. One scenario could be to sign Briggs and slide him inside to MLB and then draft Rivers to play WLB. But either way, you'll definitely have to go out and get two CBs capable of starting with the hopes that one is a top-flight CB.

Cason has been an outstanding cover corner at the college level. But I think the concerns over his speed are real and that will lower his stock. If he can time out well, it could catapult him to the top.

Hey, Widge, I certainly see your point. But Jenkins and Laurinaitis would not be the first two guys who had high grades and decided to go back for their senior season. Think Peyton Manning, Ricky Williams, Matt Leinart, Glenn Dorsey, etc.

Say he runs an average 40 time and is still a top 3 CB. Do yall think its a big reach at #10 in the draft.

I truly hope that we don't "Reach" for a CB. There will be some very good CB prospects in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
We could use an impact LB and DT, just as much as a CB.

Rivers is a top 15 talent. He's a big, rangy guy with excellent speed and playmaking ability. He's a sure tackler, although he sometimes is overly-aggressive and gets himself out of position. But when he's focused--and that's most of the time--he's an impact player on defense. He plays on the outside, which means we would still ahve to address the MLB position. One scenario could be to sign Briggs and slide him inside to MLB and then draft Rivers to play WLB. But either way, you'll definitely have to go out and get two CBs capable of starting with the hopes that one is a top-flight CB.

Honestly, I think that this would be the best route for our D. Go out and get Briggs, who Mike D. has said he thinks would actually be better in the middle. Add Rivers at WLB and we finally have 3 LBs with talent! If we were able to sign Corey Williams at DT and someone like Florence at CB, our D would be vastly improved. Just imagine if we have the players to blitz effectively, our secondary would look much better based off of that alone. Sign a Free Safety like Gibril or Eugene Wilson. I think all of these moves would be realistic too. I can't freakin wait for free agency to start!:lol:

Here's my top 10 if JL stays in school.

1. Miami – Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
2. St. Louis – Jake Long, OT, Michigan
3. Atlanta – Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas
4. Oakland - Chris Long, DE, Virginia
5. Kansas City - Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State
6. New York Jets – Vernon Gholston, DE/OLB, Ohio St.
7. New England – Keith Rivers, OLB, USC
8. Baltimore - Glen Dorsey, DT, LSU
9. Cincinnati – Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC
10. New Orleans – A choice between: Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami… or a CB like Aqib Talib or Mike Jenkins.

Are you serious? Glen Dorsey falling to #8

I can't knock anyone for staying in school. In most cases, its the right choice. The past few years, many player who declared early fell in the draft or weren't drafted at all. Sometimes its best to stay in school...even when you are projected as a Top 15 pick.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom