So much for drafting O-Linemaen (1 Viewer)

oldJC.SAINTS

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I just stumbled on that and thought I would share. It is from NFL.com fantasy report... It shows that maybe drafting OL this year was not the Graal a lot of people on this board think it was. Maybe the Colts drafted badly you could say or their OL coach is crap... I don't know to be honest.

''Luck was sacked three times and hit six times on 21 dropbacks, ESPN reports.

Analysis: Despite taking four offensive lineman in the draft, Indy's offensive line looked similar to last year's version that allowed him to get hit too frequently and he ended up missing nine games due to injury. Even worse, starting starting left guard Jack Mewhort may have suffered a torn ACL during the game. Luck has looked sharp and healthy this preseason after a season-ending lacerated kidney last season, but Indy's offensive line woes are a concern once again.''

mike detillier Made the comment before first preseason game that finding olinemen out of college is tougher due to the change in the way offenses are designed , the spread vs teams like LSU that still have the powerful grader type of linemen

Yeah it's become one of those things where you try to identify the traits and coach a player to do what you want as there are fewer and fewer pro style offenses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your right I'm glad we spent a 5th on Tull instead last year.

hehehe, well we needed DL help and pass rusher skills, we drafted that but missed on that pick... but all the other 2015 draftees are still on roster and we even drafted an OL in the 1st round. Go figure.

You can draft offensive linemen until you're blue in the face. If the talent isn't there, it won't make a difference. Drafting players just because you need them won't make them good players. The draft should dictate who you take, not your needs.

I bet Payton wishes more than any of us that quality OL were there when we drafted. They weren't. Taking them just to take them wouldn't have solved anything.

You can draft offensive linemen until you're blue in the face. If the talent isn't there, it won't make a difference. Drafting players just because you need them won't make them good players. The draft should dictate who you take, not your needs.

I bet Payton wishes more than any of us that quality OL were there when we drafted. They weren't. Taking them just to take them wouldn't have solved anything.

this !!! 100% what I think, u said it perfectly, thank you.

Your right I'm glad we spent a 5th on Tull instead last year.

Tull was drafted to play OLB in the 3-4 defense we were going to run, until we ditched Rob Ryan and switched back to a 4-3 and he didn't fit our scheme. But to know that, you'd have to follow Saints football.

So, don't blame the draft pick, blame the defensive coordinator carousel and the constant switching of defensive schemes. You draft for players that fit your scheme, but when you change schemes every year, it makes your draft picks look bad.

Haven't you ever noticed in pre-draft scouting reports where they say this or that player would fit well in a 3-4 defense or a 4-3 defense? There is a reason for that. It's the rare player that will excel in either scheme, most fit one scheme or the other, but not both. That's why Vilma went from a good player on the Jets, to getting traded and becoming a good player here, the Jets switched defensive schemes and he no longer fit there, but he did fit here.

You can come up with ANY EXCUSE or rationalization you want for not signing or drafting a starting guard this year ....

and it DOESN'T FREAKING MATTER. The FO knew we needed a guard. it set starting guard as a priority. And, it didn't sign a guard in free agency and it didn't draft a guard. So, as a result, we don't have a real starting guard on our roster.

Make up whatever excuse, rationalization, reason you want. The bottom line is, we don't have one and it's the FO's fault.

was hard to find a ready olineman in the 2016 draft
Garnett was the first guard picked and right now he is struggling in S.F .
Ifedi was projected tackle but was moved Guard and he is struggling too
Jason Spriggs of Indiana is bad and he is at least 2 years away
Cody Whitehair is more a center than a Guard
Shon Coleman is a long shot too
You can make a case for Isaac Seumalo but he is injuried right now and he wont start in week 1 for the eagles
Le'Raven Clark is bad
Graham Glasgowis injuried too
There wasnt a lot of talent in this class not counting Stanley, Tunsil and Conklin

it's clear on this post that it is a hit and miss in the draft.
We did good with Armstead and I remember Willie Roaf. Wow!
I'm thinking that the FO is using Drew's contract negotiations as leeverage for $$ to get protection. We get you protection if you leave $$ on table. Seems like Drew would be game since he was willing to make a move for Josh Gordon.

was hard to find a ready olineman in the 2016 draft
Garnett was the first guard picked and right now he is struggling in S.F .
Ifedi was projected tackle but was moved Guard and he is struggling too
Jason Spriggs of Indiana is bad and he is at least 2 years away
Cody Whitehair is more a center than a Guard
Shon Coleman is a long shot too
You can make a case for Isaac Seumalo but he is injuried right now and he wont start in week 1 for the eagles
Le'Raven Clark is bad
Graham Glasgowis injuried too
There wasnt a lot of talent in this class not counting Stanley, Tunsil and Conklin

You're leaving out McGovern and Westerman.

1) Both went in the 5th.
2) Both were heavily discussed on this board, before the draft.
3) Both are perfect fits for zone blocking schemes
4) Both are doing well at their prospective teams.

You can come up with ANY EXCUSE or rationalization you want for not signing or drafting a starting guard this year ....

and it DOESN'T FREAKING MATTER. The FO knew we needed a guard. it set starting guard as a priority. And, it didn't sign a guard in free agency and it didn't draft a guard. So, as a result, we don't have a real starting guard on our roster.

Make up whatever excuse, rationalization, reason you want. The bottom line is, we don't have one and it's the FO's fault.

Landon Turner plays guard, if I'm not mistaken. A few people on the forum have mentioned him.

SP specifically said they were targeting some guys in the draft but it didn't work out because of where they were picking (meaning the guys weren't there for them to take).

Are some people going to seriously sit here and say we'd have been much better off if we spent s 6/7th round pick on a guard and then asked that person to contribute immediately? That's crazy talk.

No late round guard was going to step in and drastically improve our line their rookie season. Drafting guard late just for the sake of being able to say we drafted a guard is stupid.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom