so much for the wildcat being superior (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
here are some numbers to think about

ronnie brown 4.76 yds/carry
ricky williams 5.18 yds/carry

dolphins 177. yds per game on ground
team avg on ground 4.8 yds/ carry

pierre thomas 5.92 yds/ carry
mike bell 4.38 yds/ carry
reggie bush 3.93 yds/ carry
saints avg. 159. yds/ game on the ground
team total 4.6 yds/ carry
The biggest difference is the amount of times they run the ball in the game. which the dolphins and the jets are #1 & #2 in that category too.
So if you ask me the are pretty equal and we do not run the wildcat. but we have an awesome passing game and they can not and will not keep up with that
<!-- / message -->

I agree too much is made of the WC, but I think both Brown and Williams are well above that in WC (those stats are all runs). I think it's around 9 yards / attempt for Miami so far. Still, it's just a running play, a good one, but it's not a Brees to Meachem bomb or a Brees to Colston big play.

I agree that the avg is most likely higher in wildcat situations but it is not like they are averaging 250 yards a game on the ground and no one can stop them. they are only a little bit ahead us and a few other teams but they do not have nearly as good a passing game. so if the saints load up the box man their gaps and do their job they will force the dolphins into passing which is not their strength. = saints win

I think the Dolphins run easily for 150 against us on Sunday.....the key will be the QB who has only played in 2 1/2 NFL games in his career.

We can't let him get comfortable throwing the ball in 2nd and 3s and 3rd and 3s.....the whole reason the Dolphins won the game against the Jets is due to their running game....they completed 9 of 14 on 3rd down.....the QB was only responsible for 3 of those since they were sucessful on 1st and 2nd.

I felt more comforable about the two NY wins (Jets and Giants) than I do this one.....it is unknown how well we will respond to their offensive schemes.....and if we can run the ball effectively.

Awesome game though ~ is it Sunday 4pm yet?!?!?!?!

I agree too much is made of the WC, but I think both Brown and Williams are well above that in WC (those stats are all runs). I think it's around 9 yards / attempt for Miami so far. Still, it's just a running play, a good one, but it's not a Brees to Meachem bomb or a Brees to Colston big play.

They will limit our possessions....that is what I am most worried about......even though we know they are running the wildcat is does not mean we can stop it well enough to give the QB long 3rd down situations.

I think we will run the ball all day long against them......I think they will try to shut down the pass since a 7 yard run play is less painful than a 19 yard pass play.

So, if we make 10 and 0 what on Earth will you do with your spare time and festering hate?

People obsess over the wildcat too much. It's a neat formation that's solid fundamentally and has the chance to continue to evolve. But that's all it is. It's like people obsessing about the Saints using 3 or 4 wides or the shotgun. It's just a formation. It's not a magic elixir, a flea-flicker, or some form of divine inspiration. Just one of many formations and personal groupings available to NFL teams.

I think the Dolphins run easily for 150 against us on Sunday.....the key will be the QB who has only played in 2 1/2 NFL games in his career.

I really doubt they get 150 on us, and we're probably in a much tighter game then we'd like if they do. This is a good run stopping team.

I'm actually more concerned about lapses in discipline yielding big gains then I am about them controlling the ball for long stretches. I think Greg Williams will try to be aggressive against them.

Overall, the wildcat isn't above and beyond more effective than a regular run. Except that it's got a little more smoke and mirrors. I'm not scared about it though.

We can't let him get comfortable throwing the ball in 2nd and 3s and 3rd and 3s.....the whole reason the Dolphins won the game against the Jets is due to their running game....they completed 9 of 14 on 3rd down.....the QB was only responsible for 3 of those since they were sucessful on 1st and 2nd.

I felt more comforable about the two NY wins (Jets and Giants) than I do this one.....it is unknown how well we will respond to their offensive schemes.....and if we can run the ball effectively.

Awesome game though ~ is it Sunday 4pm yet?!?!?!?!
when the last time the saints D.have they given up that many yards rushing? i say GW takes away the run an force them to throw the football,an send the house at the young QB.

I agree - the Wildcat is nothing magical. It's a personnel package and offense that works well for Miami's players. They're good at it - but it's still just an offense and they can only run one play at a time. If it was invincible, they'd be 5-0.

All teams have their tendencies and preferences on offense. The Wildcat is Miami's. All we can do is prepare and execute. Our gameplan (of trying to get a big lead early and then attacking on defense while continuing to score) will remain the same. And if we execute properly, we should win this game.

it is a good thing that we are effecient at scoring no matter the situation. the giants had a much better D than miami. and we scored on I think our first 4 possesions it may have been 5 possesions. they can limit them all they want and we will pull a colts on them. t.o.p. doesnt always mean you win.

I noticed yesterday, while reading through all of the stats, that the saints are the only team in the league to not allow a rushing play of over 20 yards. Hopefully that continues.

Limiting possessions isn't a guarantee that the Saints won't score points. In the 1st half against the Giants, the Saints had only six possessions. They put up 34 points and never punted...

Can someone tell me what base defense is better suited to defend to WC between the 4-3 and the 3-4? Just curious and I'm sure a bunch of people are. We've been playing a lot of 3-4, btw.

I noticed yesterday, while reading through all of the stats, that the saints are the only team in the league to not allow a rushing play of over 20 yards. Hopefully that continues.

Limiting possessions isn't a guarantee that the Saints won't score points. In the 1st half against the Giants, the Saints had only six possessions. They put up 34 points and never punted...

6 possessions is a pretty good amount for a half.

12 possessions is likely the number we strive for most games. We've reached that number in I think all of our games except the Jets. The Jets game we had 10 total I think, 4 in the first half (with 1 being a two minute drill). The defensive touchdowns helped limit our offensive possessions (because you kick it right back off after a defensive TD) for the Jets.

The Dolphins undoubtedly will seek to limit us to 10 or less possessions. The Colts had only 8 in the 15 minutes they had the ball against the Dolphins. That was a great achievement by the Dolphins, but they still (obviously) lost the game.

Remember, as important as limiting possessions are, one of the big keys is also "breaking up" offensive possessions. That is, putting long stretches in between when the offense gets on the field. If you can put together a long offensive drive, force a 3 and out, and then put together another long offensive drive, controlling the clock for a quarter's worth of time, you can really disrupt an offense like ours.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom