So people are actually happy with Winston’s play? (1 Viewer)

Exactly. Winston was lights out with the only reliable receiving target he had. That shows that when given viable receivers, he can be successful. Likewise, Hill's inability to incorporate Kamara into the receiving game last year also spoke volumes.

These are the posts that amaze me. There was nothing lights out about the QB play the other night. It was average. I sure hope a QB can hit a RB within 5 yard of the line of scrimmage.

Rationale people? Is that some new thing? I guess you really mean rational?

The Saints will probably lose a few games, will it be because Winston turns it over? Maybe...will it be for other reasons? WR's poor performance, offensive line issues, other? Maybe....

I think most rational folks believe Winston is playing pretty well right now considering the circumstances, most of those same rational folks know he has room for improvement and some of those same rational folks think he will improve, especially when we get one of the best WR's in the game back.....man, some folks want him to fail, so bad, I don't even really consider them Saints fans....(not saying you do)....

The attack the grammar post gotta love it. A staple of crappy message board posters. It happens when you are typing fast.

The attack the grammar post gotta love it. A staple of crappy message board posters. It happens when you are typing fast.

Then why are you here? If it is so littered with crappy posters and all....make it one less...please.....

I expect him to hit guys when they are open in the 0-15 yard range. He isn’t doing that at a high enough level right now

Agreed. He needs to improve his efficiency a little bit, and he needs to hit some opportunities he's missing. I think these are the improvements he needs to make, irrespective of WR and other context.

However, I think he can make those improvements as the season progresses - not to the extent he'll as efficient as Drew Brees by game 12, but better certainly. Couple those improvements and adjustments to a very healthy TD-INT ratio and a great big play potential and you have a pretty good QB.

There is an alternative view that what we see now is the best it will ever get, regardless of WR talent and context, and JW will never improve. It also ignores his current 102 QB rating and great TD/INT ratio. I do not agree with this view.

Winston is late on some reads and inconsistent on short throws, where he needs to be more accurate. Otherwise, he’s doing a good job and playing within himself and the game plan, which so far has tended to be conservative. No Harris and Taysom hurt the O against Seattle, not to mention no true #1 receiver. Until Jameis gets a better WR corps, the grade on him has to be incomplete.

MT didn't miss a game in 2019 . . . so the very premise of your argument is wrong.

Dude, I don't remember when it was, and I'm not going to look it up just to prove a point that I don't really care about in the first place. I was referring to a game where MT and TQS were out, and the Saints only had UDFAs at receiver. I believe it was a Monday night or Thursday night game. I remember Drew being asked after the game how he was able to move the ball down the field with only UDFA receivers. Go look it up Krishawn Hogan's stats if it's a big deal. I don't think it's worth arguing over.

I think he has the skill talent to score in the mid to high 20s. The WR core at the moment isn’t good at all. And if the issue was solely the WRs not getting open there would be no complaining. The problem is they are getting open at times and he is missing them a good bit. I don’t expect him to fit throws in tight windows like an elite QB. I expect him to hit guys when they are open in the 0-15 yard range. He isn’t doing that at a high enough level right now.

You didn't do all this rationalizing for Brees last year, but I'll indulge.

REC YDS AVG TD LONG TGTS
Alvin Kamara 10 128 12.8 1 31 11
Adam Trautman 3 36 12.0 0 15 3
Marquez Callaway 3 32 10.7 0 14 7
Tre'Quan Smith 1 11 11.0 0 11 3
Juwan Johnson 1 8 8.0 0 8 1
Devine Ozigbo 1 7 7.0 0 7 1
Kenny Stills 0 0 0.0 0 0 3
Ty Montgomery 0 0 0.0 0 0 1
Kevin White 0 0 0.0 0 0 2
TEAM 19 222 11.7 1 31 32

The best WR active for the Saints on Monday was Alvin Kamara. Any argument? He found Kamara on 10 of 11 Targets. Would you say he missed Kamara? Of course not. This shows that when he has a decent target he finds them.

Callaway should really be WR #3. Tre'Quan Smith gave up on one of his targets and dropped the other: 1 for 3. Kenny Stills was 0 for 3 Targets. We know he dropped 1 or 2 that hit him in his hands. Kevin White dropped both of his targets.

All of this occurred in rainy, windy conditions. Yet you're going to blame Winston? It's not rational.

Last edited:
Dude, I don't remember when it was, and I'm not going to look it up just to prove a point that I don't really care about in the first place. I was referring to a game where MT and TQS were out, and the Saints only had UDFAs at receiver. I believe it was a Monday night or Thursday night game. I remember Drew being asked after the game how he was able to move the ball down the field with only UDFA receivers. Go look it up Krishawn Hogan's stats if it's a big deal. I don't think it's worth arguing over.
Go look it up and post it back to us, don't ask us to do your homework...you made the statement, back it up.

Look, on the surface, Winston has looked mediocre at best. I wont argue. I question whether or not he has a future here. But the guy has NOTHING at the skill positions outside of Kamara. And I mean nothing. Tampa has 4 receivers, at least, that would be the clear cut WR1 here. We dont have a TE that would even be in the rotation on any of the other 32 NFL teams. We could take players that Tampa uses on ST, and improve our starting offense. Theres been o line issues all year. Hurricane Ida relocation. The excuses are there, like it or not.

Receivers are cutting off routes, dropping passes, not getting open, not understanding how to sit in a zone. TQS quit on a route that wouldve been a TD. Stills dropped a pass Winston put in both of his hands.

Once TQS gets his feet under him and CGM gets back, Winston will be out of excuses though. If he doesnt flip the switch then I dont think he can be the guy. The problem is we are used to seeing Brees fling the ball around because he didnt have a defense he could count on. Now we have an elite defense, and Payton just isnt going to want to throw the ball 50 times a game because he knows he can play field position. Winston isnt going to put up Brees numbers even if he were capable of it. Its not this particular teams style. Brees wouldnt put up Brees numbers with this defense on the other side of the ball. You play field position, you bleed clock and you run the ball.

Then why are you here? If it is so littered with crappy posters and all....make it one less...please.....

The grammar guy is literally the worst poster on any message bored. Gave you another one to attack. See if you can spot it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom