Saints So still no FA additions or extensions? (1 Viewer)

Saint Taysom

MultiTool Tool
Reaction score
The Saints did the deal to move around money for Lattimore… signed their draft class… and freed up almost $6M in cap space..

…but still no FA signings or extensions (which would free up even more money most likely).

So what’s going on? What does this mean?

Did the Saints see something that leads them to believe they already have their #2 CB?

Do they feel TQS and Callaway are ready to step up and be true compliments to CGM?

The DL is good to go?

Really… there hasn’t been much of anything from other teams either. What gives?

Is Sherman on Market. Bet a lot of Vets are waiting for training camp to wind down before signing. I would. No sense in working hard in a grueling camp for no money

The Saints did the deal to move around money for Lattimore… signed their draft class… and freed up almost $6M in cap space..

…but still no FA signings or extensions (which would free up even more money most likely).

So what’s going on? What does this mean?

Did the Saints see something that leads them to believe they already have their #2 CB?

Do they feel TQS and Callaway are ready to step up and be true compliments to CGM?

The DL is good to go?

Really… there hasn’t been much of anything from other teams either. What gives?
You know the Saints are going to wait, and go clearance rack shopping. I expect us to bring in some DBs that know coach Richards system. We need another good WR to keep DBs honest, and not double up on Mike.

The deadline to get an extension done with Marcus Williams is like July 15th right?… Ramcyzk is supposedly priority #1, and with still no new news on the Lattimore gun debacle, that’s in a holding pattern.. OK, I see that…

But, the longer they wait on a CB, WR, or even DT… the better the chances of another team snatching them up for themselves. There’s really not a lot of good options out there that are left.

The deadline to get an extension done with Marcus Williams is like July 15th right?… Ramcyzk is supposedly priority #1, and with still no new news on the Lattimore gun debacle, that’s in a holding pattern.. OK, I see that…

But, the longer they wait on a CB, WR, or even DT… the better the chances of another team snatching them up for themselves. There’s really not a lot of good options out there that are left.
I hope the wait and see approach that seems to be what they're doing doesn't come back to bite them in the backside. And then we end up with nothing.

I hope the wait and see approach that seems to be what they're doing doesn't come back to bite them in the backside. And then we end up with nothing.
Pretty much there’s Sherman, Nelson, and Conley available at CB. Sherman could drop-off drastically based on his age, and Conley is still largely unrealized potential… Nelson is probably the “safest” CB out there, but I don’t know how well he would fit the Saints’ scheme? After those 3, I’m not sure anyone else really has more to offer than what the Saints currently have on the roster.
WR is even more sketchy regarding current FAs. Golden Tate? Dede Westbrook? Those are 2 names that at least shined a little… the rest… meh.

There are a handful of solid veterans at DT, but DT seems like the least pressing need for the Saints right now… especially when you consider that Cam Jordan, Davenport, and Turner can all move inside when needed. Still a guy like Geno Atkins would be nice.

Nothing is gonna happen until the players report to camp, this is literally every year ..when was the Kamara extension done, the MT extension, the Cook signing? Y’all gotta relax lol

edit: the cook sign was early lol. But I see it as really 4 phases: initial splash signings and filling out the roster to 90, few signings after June 1 cuts, signings and extensions at training camp and last min signings due to injuries. I expect it to be quiet til training camp, there’s not much urgency to get things done until players start to report and you can evaluate the team and see what you really got.

Last edited:
You know the Saints are going to wait, and go clearance rack shopping. I expect us to bring in some DBs that know coach Richards system. We need another good WR to keep DBs honest, and not double up on Mike.
That's pretty much all they can do at this point. They currently have $5.8M in space but about $1M will go away when the "top 51 rule" expires with the final cut down day. At that point all 53 active players and any player on IR or PUP will count against the cap. Hopefully no one goes on IR or PUP during camp and the team will have somewhere around $4.5M to operate with during the season. Depending on injuries a lot of that will go away during the season.

Not altogether surprising considering the cap situation. However, with the vet contracts becoming guaranteed by the first game (if on the roster) there is always some intriguing cuts before camp ends. Maybe we are going to ride with the roster and see if any cream rises or if we need to make a trade or grab a waiver wire player?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom