So tell me again why Ian Book can’t start or play? (1 Viewer)

Analyze This

increase after a decline
Reaction score
Payton said they are impressed with what they see from Book at this point, but he is not ready. It's really not hard to understand. As to your statement, "nothing to lose", that is clearly not the case. Regardless of how bleak things may look, we are not eliminated yet, so there is no reason to do something illogical just because we are going through a rough patch. When we are officially eliminated, Payton may decide to give him some playing time if he thinks it would be beneficial, because at that point, you'd have nothing to lose. Right now, Taysom gives us a better chance.
This is a great perspective and I agree. We should be eliminated in three weeks. Great opportunity to get the OL and backs healthy for last two divisional games. Let Book get game reps. If Payton thinks he can be the future this would really help offseason planning.

If Book shows something you bring a stop gap in like Teddy. If he is deer in headlights maybe you are more aggressive in finding longer term solutions. We have to be real about where this team is. Evaluation is paramount for the remainder of this season.

whodatphil

/sarcasm and tacoes
Reaction score
Payton said they are impressed with what they see from Book at this point, but he is not ready. It's really not hard to understand. As to your statement, "nothing to lose", that is clearly not the case. Regardless of how bleak things may look, we are not eliminated yet, so there is no reason to do something illogical just because we are going through a rough patch. When we are officially eliminated, Payton may decide to give him some playing time if he thinks it would be beneficial, because at that point, you'd have nothing to lose. Right now, Taysom gives us a better chance
I agree 100%
Tom Brady was slow and had a weak arm and Drew Brees was too short for the NFL. We need to see what Book can do.
We? When did we become the coaching staff? We dont need to see anything until the coaching staff makes a decision. They are the ones who see everything in practice. And with most sports, reps are earned, not just thrown out there for fans to see if a work in progress is progressing. Fan entitlement is ridiculous these days.

We are fan..FANS. Lol pretty much as the Rock would say

Last edited:

Pa.Saint

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I agree 100%

We? When did we become the coaching staff? We dont need to see anything until the coaching staff makes a decision. They are the ones who see everything in practice. And with most sports, reps are earned, not just thrown out there for fans to see if a work in progress is progressing. Fan entitlement is ridiculous these days.
when people use the word "WE", they're the most loyal fans. Its like a family thing. I use the term "WE" all the time when posting...:up32: JMO

whodatphil

/sarcasm and tacoes
Reaction score
when people use the word "WE", they're the most loyal fans. Its like a family thing. I use the term "WE" all the time when posting...:up32: JMO
I understand but I think the lines are seriously blurred right now between decisions and knowledge a fan "feels he should be privy to" compared to what they actually are

Reaction score
I'm not a member of the Saints coaching staff. I know, shocker. I'm a fan, like most of us here. So while I can't give an official answer, what I can give is a conclusion using the knowledge available and a little common sense.

The kid ain't ready. He ain't ready and the offense would look even worse with him under center, right now.

Why throw him into a no win situation with injuries at every position. Trust me, the Saints and Coach Payton know what they have at quarterback and probably every other position on the roster, including the janitors.

UFCSaint

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Ian Book pre-draft scouting report "below average NFL arm strength."

Maybe after a 1 1/2 years in the weight room maybe he compete for No2 QB next year.
Isn't that the same thing they said about Brees?

SubmarineMike

Rookie
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I ask you back the question.

Do you think that Sean Payton is trying every week to get the team in the best position to win?

Do you think we as fans know something that is skipping on Sean Payton and the rest of the coaching staff?

Have Ian Book show enough during practice that he has enough to be better than the current options at quarterback.

I know we are getting impatient with the way the season is going, but certainly Sean Payton is not thinking about next year, he is thinking about the cowboys.

I don't know if we will see Ian Book or not this season, but I am sure he will be there if Sean considers he is the best option to win the next game, whenever that may be.
I, for one, am not impatient at all with this season.

I was disappointed tonight, because we had a chance to win. However, after lthe loss I am totally relaxed.

With the injuries, I have zero expectations this season and they are being met.

meily

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Generally players picked 1st and 2nd round usually play
4th round picks play alot too (WR, RB, TE, OL, DE, DT, CB, S) all would of seen the field at one point this season on any team, it's because Book is a QB is why he has not been out there yet, it's the most crucial position on the field.

OP
OP

dvdman

All-Pro
Reaction score
They may not have a choice if Hill's finger injury is worse than expected.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest SaintsReport Originals

Utopia Draft: The Saints' Ideal (Realistic) Scenario
By Dan Levy - posted 4/28/2022

Sea Change: Taysom Hill's "New" Role and What it Means for the Saints
By Dan Levy - posted 4/06/2022

Q&A: AMA (Ask Me Anything) with Dan Levy
5/8/22 | 4/20/22

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines