So tell me again why Ian Book can’t start or play? (1 Viewer)

People on here are wanting us to trade a kings ransom for Wilson yet he got creamed last night with Lockett, Metcalf, and a pretty good O-line against Washington’s D without their 2 best pass rushers.
I understand the argument for not giving up a king's ransom for Wilson, but Seattle's O-line is bad and has been for quite some time. They have been bottom 10 in sacks given up for going on 7 years straight now.

The bottom line is, as long as we are "in the hunt" SP is not going to play a rookie QB behind that line.

----

If things continue to slide the way they have been , wouldn't surprise me at all if he gets some playing time toward the end of the season..

. Sean didn't bring Book here to be the back up.
more than likely that’s exactly what he did, and there’s nothing wrong with that
Last few years of Brees’s career showed CSP the precise value of QB depth
If we got a multi year backup for a mid round pick, that’s a win

more than likely that’s exactly what he did, and there’s nothing wrong with that
Last few years of Brees’s career showed CSP the precise value of QB depth
If we got a multi year backup for a mid round pick, that’s a win
Yea, maybe. But, what coach drafts and grooms a backup? Then gives him a whole half of a pre season game. In a QB competition between Taysom and Winston? Then him never hitting the practice squad. Interesting. Book is a better prospect than Zach Wilson at the Jets is....today!

Payton said they are impressed with what they see from Book at this point, but he is not ready. It's really not hard to understand. As to your statement, "nothing to lose", that is clearly not the case. Regardless of how bleak things may look, we are not eliminated yet, so there is no reason to do something illogical just because we are going through a rough patch. When we are officially eliminated, Payton may decide to give him some playing time if he thinks it would be beneficial, because at that point, you'd have nothing to lose. Right now, Taysom gives us a better chance.
This is a great perspective and I agree. We should be eliminated in three weeks. Great opportunity to get the OL and backs healthy for last two divisional games. Let Book get game reps. If Payton thinks he can be the future this would really help offseason planning.

If Book shows something you bring a stop gap in like Teddy. If he is deer in headlights maybe you are more aggressive in finding longer term solutions. We have to be real about where this team is. Evaluation is paramount for the remainder of this season.

Payton said they are impressed with what they see from Book at this point, but he is not ready. It's really not hard to understand. As to your statement, "nothing to lose", that is clearly not the case. Regardless of how bleak things may look, we are not eliminated yet, so there is no reason to do something illogical just because we are going through a rough patch. When we are officially eliminated, Payton may decide to give him some playing time if he thinks it would be beneficial, because at that point, you'd have nothing to lose. Right now, Taysom gives us a better chance
I agree 100%
Tom Brady was slow and had a weak arm and Drew Brees was too short for the NFL. We need to see what Book can do.
We? When did we become the coaching staff? We dont need to see anything until the coaching staff makes a decision. They are the ones who see everything in practice. And with most sports, reps are earned, not just thrown out there for fans to see if a work in progress is progressing. Fan entitlement is ridiculous these days.

We are fan..FANS. Lol pretty much as the Rock would say

Last edited:
I agree 100%

We? When did we become the coaching staff? We dont need to see anything until the coaching staff makes a decision. They are the ones who see everything in practice. And with most sports, reps are earned, not just thrown out there for fans to see if a work in progress is progressing. Fan entitlement is ridiculous these days.
when people use the word "WE", they're the most loyal fans. Its like a family thing. I use the term "WE" all the time when posting...:up32: JMO

when people use the word "WE", they're the most loyal fans. Its like a family thing. I use the term "WE" all the time when posting...:up32: JMO
I understand but I think the lines are seriously blurred right now between decisions and knowledge a fan "feels he should be privy to" compared to what they actually are

I'm not a member of the Saints coaching staff. I know, shocker. I'm a fan, like most of us here. So while I can't give an official answer, what I can give is a conclusion using the knowledge available and a little common sense.

The kid ain't ready. He ain't ready and the offense would look even worse with him under center, right now.

Why throw him into a no win situation with injuries at every position. Trust me, the Saints and Coach Payton know what they have at quarterback and probably every other position on the roster, including the janitors.

Ian Book pre-draft scouting report "below average NFL arm strength."

Maybe after a 1 1/2 years in the weight room maybe he compete for No2 QB next year.
Isn't that the same thing they said about Brees?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom