So this D only 4 wks in (1 Viewer)

JONCAN220

Veteran
Reaction score
as good....better or pretty close to the Dome Patrol days??
I wanna wait a few more games esp...ones like Bucs and Lambs where we are "s-posed" to dominate..but leaning toward "pretty close"

Definitely number 2 at the very least. But I wanna see how they fare against Tom Brady before I can say they're number 1.

i'll have to read the replies because I really didn't see the dome patrol play just like I didn't see archie manning play... but I'll go out on a limb and say brees is better than archie and four weeks into season this team can't even be close to the dome patrol; even disrespect to dome patrol to even ask the question.

Its different. Good though, but different. The Dome patrol dominated players and frankly intimidated and hurt a few. This defense concentrates more on the ball and is not as physically dominating, but it is still nothing to scoff at.

Just my 2 cents.

In the same ballpark with the Dome Patrol and the equal of the '98-2000 units under Yaralian and Zook.

Not ready to give them Dome Patrol billing, but definitely the best D we've had since 2000, when we had three D-Linemen with more than 10 sacks each.

Dome patrol was the best linebacker core in the history of Saints football. Dome patrol NEVER had Corners or Safties like: Jabari "shutdown" Greer. Tracy "Dont throw here" Porter. Darren "Pick 6" Sharper. or even Roman "Rushing God" Harper!

The front 7 of this D is not as good as the Dome Patrol's front 7, but this D is definitely better on the back end. That's not to say that our D line is not improving, which it is, and that are LBs aren't solid, which they are. But a defense would have to go a long way to beat the front 7 of the DP. Another thing that has to be figured into the equation is that this D is more of a hybrid 4-3/3-4 with multiple blitz packages. The DP was a straight up 3-4 with the occasional corner or safety blitz, but nobody was running the intricate blitz packages you see today on any kind of regular basis in the 1980s/90s NFL. Finally, our current offense makes our current defense better. The DP had to pretty much carry the team every game--this D doesn't have as much pressure on it to do that. They did carry us yesterday, but GW knows what a luxury it is to play D for a team with Drew Brees and a Payton-designed offense.

You know what is just tickle me elmo delicious about the defense?

They say it takes a full season to get down Gregg Williams' system... what we are seeing right now is just a tease of what we will probably be seeing by playoff time. Now thats scary. The Dome Patrol days were awesome, but we are in for a whole new level of defense in New Orleans.

Its different. Good though, but different. The Dome patrol dominated players and frankly intimidated and hurt a few. This defense concentrates more on the ball and is not as physically dominating, but it is still nothing to scoff at.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree with this statement :plus-un2:

It's good (so far) but different. Dome patrol was a physical beat you down, and out will you. They brought the hurt on every play. I remember hearing a quote from a game in 88 i believe when we played the 49ers. Roger Craig was hit on a play by Vaughn Johnson, and he said "who the F is that guy?", he then stated " don't let him hit me like that again, because that SOB hurts". That really was how that defense played.

This D so far seems more of an aggressive, speed, ball hawk driven D. They are going to come at you from different angles, show blitz, and only rush 4 confusing you, and their CBs are playing tight coverage, allowing D.Sharp to make plays on the ball. In the end, they might be the same way intimidating like the DP was, but i dont know if you can play anymore physical then those teams did on D

The Dome Patrol was called the best LB corps in history by NFL Films. As of now, I don't think we could sanely say that this is the best secondary or front 7 in history. But if they keep playing like this, they could achieve the status of the 00s Ravens defense.

Too soon to tell, besides, it was a different time with different teams who played different styles. it doesn't always have to be better or worse. It's just different.

They're excellent, but it's too soon to bill them "Dome Patrol 2.0." I don't think I'm taking a thing away from our current D when I say that what we had in the Dome Patrol was a unique confluence of factors; four LBs just do not get to go to the Pro Bowl together. Each one of those guys would put up in one season a number of sacks that many whole teams would envy (in fact, in '92 Rickey Jackson got half a sack more than the Saints did all last season in total).

Again, that takes nothing away from our guys right now--just saying that it's too soon to draw comparisons. Very different style of defense, too, so there's a little bit of an apples-and-oranges thing going on.

Tap the brakes. Tap the brakes.

While they look better than anything we've put on the field for many years, I think it is jumping the gun to mention them with the defense we had in early 90's. Now if we can continue to get good pressure on the QB, stuff the run, and force turnovers all year, then we can revisit this discussion. So far we have faced 4 QBs that are either rookies or have had limited playing time.

The game against the Giants will show how balanced we are defensivley. They can run and pass the ball effectively.

agreed with most, those 4 linebackers we had were just awesome. Different kind of awesome though, definetly our secondary is much better than back then. Just too soon to tell much right now, we are damn good though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom