So we've owned the division 4 straight years, and Tampa leaps us after a 13 year drought; Tampa, Atlanta, & Carolina have now made the SB since 09 (1 Viewer)

This is true. But it’s on us that we needed that call. We under performed mightily in that game. Early. And even on the no- call drive. Plays we should have made and didn’t.
This is really my point. I didn't find out until the next season, but remember when we were up in the NFCCG and the Rams had 0 points and were about to punt? EVERY ONE knew it was a fake punt because they couldn't afford to down 3 scores to us, but our ST coordinator saw a mix-up with who was supposed to be on our left side where the pass was going to go and instead of calling a timeout and getting set, he allowed the play to go anyway and they not only converted but went down and later scored their first TD. But even before that, Brees hit our TE IN THE HANDS on third down IN THE ENDZONE which would have put us up 7 instead of 3 but he dropped an extremely catchable TD pass.

YES, the refs screwed us but outside of the magical 09 season we NEVER do ourselves any favors when we need them in big moments. It's either missed FGs, missed XPAs, allowing stupid 3rd and long conversions, throwing untimely INTs, fumbles after picking up 1sts, or questionable DPI calls.

WE are our own worst enemies. Do the refs screw us? Yes. That is what it is. But WE screw us more.

Ask yourself when was the last time you EVER felt comfortable with the Saints in the post-season, with a lead.

Last edited:
We find ways for it to unravel late in the year, on top of always losing a couple to teams we have no business losing to.
Makes absolutely no sense why it keeps happening. That's why it needs to be addressed. Why it hasn't been addressed is beyond me. Coach needs to recognize it and say it to himself, the coaches and the players and do the things needed to change it.

Can you remember back to week 9.
Saints 38 Bucs 3 (In Tampa)
So what happened since then that makes us and our QB a piece of trash?

What happened since then that make TB so good with such a crap coaching staff? Why couldnt they do that when they had Winston?

What happened since then that make TB so good with such a crap coaching staff? Why couldnt they do that when they had Winston?

Arians listened to Brady and realized if he wants to throw it deep he needs to keep him protected. They couldn't do it with Winston because even if Winston suggested as much Arians wasn't going to listen to him. Their defense all turned it up at the right time of year. Honestly the only team that really made them look foolish defensively at times was us, and we had the chance to do that again last week but without the power guys available we had to settle for FGs too much.

Honestly this defense we have matches up really well with the Bucs, I'm not convinced we'd have beaten the packers had we beaten them because the Packers weakness is the deep ball and the run game. We don't throw the deep ball as much as most teams and with a hobbled CGM that's not going to win, doubly so when the other options are so hot and cold. We could theoretically lean on the run, but Payton is averse to that strategy particularly when Drew is there. Now assuming Drew retires maybe that changes. I will say that these Championship games have shown me we need to do what we can to keep this defense together as much as possible. People are right in that the game has changed so much that a great offense can find a way to beat a great defense but if you have a great defense and an offense that doesn't have to settle for FGs so often then you'll be in with a shot against those teams and will beat most others.

OP point is a little bit of an indictment on Payton as a playoff coach, no doubt. His consistent excellence in the regular season is unquestioned though.

That's honestly pretty remarkable.

Welp. Guess we can hope that Tampa loses in two weeks so we can still say we have the best winning percentage in the Super Bowl of all NFC South teams.
It’s a failure to capitalize on our dominance in the division and talent on the roster.
We should have more to show for it.

I'm gonna keep saying it till it stick. Payton is Won One and Done Status. And it's nearly impossible to find a better a coach. So, What do you do lol

None of those scrubs have won it though. The Bucs aren't going to win it either.

We find ways for it to unravel late in the year, on top of always losing a couple to teams we have no business losing to.

Find me any team that never loses to inferior opponents, please. What ideal do you ascribe us to achieve exactly?

Unless the best team in the league is 16-0 losing to teams they shouldn't is common. Even the Chiefs lost to the Raiders just like we did. Same year they won the Super Bowl, they lost to the Texans and Colts.

Both Tampa Bay and Michael Thomas have managed to divide The Who Dat Nation all in one day. Come on people, we’re better than this. Great things are in store for our team. Payton and Co. got this.

I knew it would suck a little more had we lost to TB and they go on to the Super Bowl. I had that thought before the game, but didn't want to mention it. Not so much that they didn't earn it. It just sucks that we've been so close, and a Tom Brady led team comes to the division that we have owned and goes to the SB right away. Oh well, though. It is our fault, and we blew it.

FACT: As of any time prior to the final gun of SB XLV, the New Orleans Saints are the most recent NFCS WINNER of the Lombardi... and Drew Brees is the only NFCS QB to win SB MVP.

Peace, out. :cool:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom